Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

6 hours ago, ZRod said:

Better than being embarrassed. The previous two coaches get blown out against OU and UM. We'll get where we need to be soon enough. It's just painful to get back up the mountain.

Oh I agree.  It’s nice to be able to watch a competitive four quarter game.  Just frustrating to never win them while losing in the most odd way possibly 

• Plus1 2

He is kind of a live and die by him quarterback like Tommie Armstrong was.  Adrian is one of the reasons we are in the games, but also one of the reasons we lose.  He played brilliantly for most of the second half, but had the killer turnover late and also had a chance to at least tie it at mid field with enough time left and a fresh set of downs.  He seems to choke under the pressure like in OT against Michigan State.  It is entirely realistic that our next QB might actually be worse than him, but it doesn't change the fact that he has struggled in big moments.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

He is kind of a live and die by him quarterback like Tommie Armstrong was.  Adrian is one of the reasons we are in the games, but also one of the reasons we lose.  He played brilliantly for most of the second half, but had the killer turnover late and also had a chance to at least tie it at mid field with enough time left and a fresh set of downs.  He seems to choke under the pressure like in OT against Michigan State.  It is entirely realistic that our next QB might actually be worse than him, but it doesn't change the fact that he has struggled in big moments.

My question regarding next year is do we think Smothers is ready to take the reins next year? Do we need a transfer qb? 

1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I would recruit a transfer QB to compete for the starting spot.  It could cause Smothers to transfer, though.  If Nebraska doesn't make a bowl game this year, I don't think Frost can afford another losing season, so he better be confident that Smothers can get it together fast if he sticks with him.

Pretty sure we have Martinez for another yr..

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

My question regarding next year is do we think Smothers is ready to take the reins next year? Do we need a transfer qb? 

Given next year's schedule I'd be comfortable with him starting if AM leaves. We need to bring in another guy like Toure though to help him out.

8 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Benhart just seems a step slow.  He also missed a block on the short pass in the final minutes.

Yeah I am surprised Benhart is even playing, he has absolutely been terrible it's a little concerning we don't have people better than him on the two deep and the fact that he was even starting at one point is mind blowing

2 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

That's him in a nutshell and I don't see the issue going away this season. Maybe if he opts to play another year and we have somebody else guiding him he starts improving with the game on the line. 

As far as next qb goes I think Smothers can hold it down. Don't think he has the biggest arm but he's an athletic coach's kid that will have been in the system three years. I think he can competently run the offense, kind of like a speedy Joe Ganz. If Smothers can keep it together in the clutch I don't see a real drop-off in overall play. 

10 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We are not even in this game without Adrian.  There were several calls that cost us the game.  Starting with the first half play calling, bogus pass inference that lead to a TD & a fumble that should have been called dead as he was moving backward. 

Martinez deserves all the credit in the world for that. But the reality is that in those final drive or overtime situations, Martinez is more likely than not to turn the ball over and/or make bad decisions. His QBR in late 4th quarter or OT drives to tie or win games is close to 0.0. At this point, it is what it is. 
doesn’t mean he’s not or hasn’t been a great QB for us. He is and has been so. 

• Thanks 1

Don't know why it's so hard for some people to see/admit the truth. No one is saying Martinez isn't doing great things. He does do great things. I admit it. But he also does really bad things at bad times in games. Three games this year he has hurt the team tremendously with his turnovers. Illinois: Would have had a halftime lead, nope. Michigan State, nope. Michigan, nope.

• Haha 1