Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

On 10/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, ndobney said:

Knowing you messed up and continuing to do it over and over and over and over and over again are two different things, and how am I being disrespectful it seems you are being disrespectful I'm about to hit the ignore button on you if you can't talk respectfully. I rather than have to see Adrian Martinez feel bad after the next close game we have fix the problem and just win it.

Mic drop

On 10/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, Undone said:

Here's another chance for you: Should Martinez be benched this week against Minnesota?

Mic drop baby! 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

LOL.... maybe you are not aware of what a prevent defense is

Fully aware, but Minny still wouldn't want us to score that fast. Not to mention he still had to make throws into coverage.

Adrian is far and away the best QB we have on the roster, so deal with it.

28 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Haha, not at you, but timing of this comment. This may be one of the first games I’ve sat through sober - just told the wife I should do this more often as it has been easier to swallow this consistent result. 

This is the first time in a long time I seriously considered not watching the second half. The first two quarters were all around pathetic.

I think this team was pretty beat up from Michigan, but they were also utterly uninspired. Even Michigan only won by 5 against Indian.

37 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Fully aware, but Minny still wouldn't want us to score that fast. Not to mention he still had to make throws into coverage.

Adrian is far and away the best QB we have on the roster, so deal with it.

And yet your point was that we moved the ball against a prevent D..??   okay..??     The fact the he probably is the "best on the roster" after 4 years speaks volumes against this coaching staff and still does not does not prove nothing about your original post...  as for "dealing with it" I am...  I've accepted reality...  some on the other hand, not so much... 

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This is the first time in a long time I seriously considered not watching the second half. The first two quarters were all around pathetic.

I think this team was pretty beat up from Michigan, but they were also utterly uninspired. Even Michigan only won by 5 against Indian.

The 3 and out followed by a TD drive to start the game was the tell tale sign. They looked hungover from last week, as you noted. I’m disappointed that they don’t have the urgency, nor have they fine tuned the details that win games.

IMO, it’s a team loss where the plays were there, but the coaches need to find a way to get the players to dig deep and live up to their potential. 

I have a feeling, whenever Martinez leaves Nebraska, we will find out he had some lingering leg injury that stemmed from his Freshman year injury. Something from that injury his Freshman year was always bothering him, because that is the only reason or explanation you can make for why he no longer just takes off and runs. The reason he had such a bright future his Freshman year was his ability to run the football and his play making ability to just take off and run when nothing was there. Since that injury he hasn't been the same. He now takes 10 seconds to make a decision, there are 5-10 yards wide open in front of him, but he doesn't just take off and run he continues to look for the the throw. The coaches don't really design anything around his ability to run the football, as it feels they are stubbornly trying to make him a pocket passer when clearly he isn't a good pocket passer. 

We won't hear anything now as a way to protect him and not let other teams in on a potential major weakness as we do, or at least the announcers, still talk him up enough to be this elusive dual threat QB that you must always account for. Once teams realize he's got a bummed leg they may not be questioning what he might do.

Long time lurker, I had to chime in...

I think AMartinez is a very good athlete and could be a decent QB is a conference that plays his style of ball. Granting the QB lots of space like the PAC12 or BIG12. I like the kid, let me make that clear.

His main issue IMHO is that his anticipation and accuracy are poor. He has always overthrown receivers and missed easy tosses. He misses more "layup" passes than almost any QB I can remember. I mean simple swing, slant, and go routes are literally an opportunity for interceptions or at best drive killing poor passes.

At this point, I'm not sure if the Huskers have anyone better but I think the team knows that Martinez minus a massive Oline upgrade in performance has most likely reached his apex, in 2018.

The other elephant in the room to me is the offensive philosophy which goes pistol/shotgun on the goal line with no lead blocker, but that prolly is a different topic...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

This is laughable. We're blaming the guy for a safety costing us the game when the defense can't make a stop in the first half and gives up a 56 yard game winning TD. Our kicker can't make a gimme field goal or an extra point and our OL can't get it done in the RedZone. But let's lay it all on Martinez because he either gets sacked for a safety or throws it away for a safety.

the argument isn't that it's Martinez' fault we lost. the argument is that when he gets into a position lead a game-sealing or game-tying drive, regardless of how well or poorly he has played all game, he chokes. at this point, its reality. it's why nebraska is 5-17 in one score games. can the team do better on defense, OL, and ST? of course. but the point is that when Martinez is put in those positions against any defense with a pulse, he crashes and burns. all by himself. regardless of the playcalling.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ZRod said:

This is laughable. We're blaming the guy for a safety costing us the game when the defense can't make a stop in the first half and gives up a 56 yard game winning TD. Our kicker can't make a gimme field goal or an extra point and our OL can't get it done in the RedZone. But let's lay it all on Martinez because he either gets sacked for a safety or throws it away for a safety.

Or steps up in the pocket and runs since the 3-4 second clock in mind should have gone off that he ran out time to throw the ball (especially backed up near the end zone). That’s basic HS QB skills.  These are mistakes a 4 yr starter in the BIG should not be making.   He also absolutely stunk throwing the ball today and missed 14 points on long “shoulda been” TD passes.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think i would describe martinez as clutch with the game on the line but on a list of things wrong with Nebraska football i dont think he's at the top of the list.

Oline sucks, run game is inconsistent and even if we put smothers in the game who do you think is coaching him? Verduzco or how ever you spell his name the same guy that coaches Martinez and it doesn't fix who's calling plays either.

They also said on big red overreaction that martinez rolled his ankle on Tuesday in practice and could barely practiced yet frost threw a running quarterback out there against one of the best pass rushes in the conference when he's to hurt to practice. It's a coaching problem.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Or steps up in the pocket and runs since the 3-4 second clock in mind should have gone off that he ran out time to throw the ball (especially backed up near the end zone). That’s basic HS QB skills.  These are mistakes a 4 yr starter in the BIG should not be making.   He also absolutely stunk throwing the ball today and missed 14 points on long “shoulda been” TD passes.  

It was in less than 3 seconds that he felt pressure and begun to move. At the same instant the RT is beat and Martinez now has the DE bearing down on him. There's no easy lane infront with 2 blockers legs in the way, he's already had two balls in a row batted down, and it seems he has no where to go but backwards.

He's literally making a decision as quick as a starting NFL QBs. Drew Brees was one of the quickest average times to throw at about 2.5 seconds. Brady is 2.6. On that play Adrian was probably moving in 2.9 seconds. That's Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Derek Carr, Sam Darnold numbers.