Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Martinez is a dumpster fire, fueled by a horrible offensive line.

I think the offensive line gets a lot of the blame for Martinez’s poor play. There were a handful of times today where the line gave Martinez a solid 6 seconds to make a throw and his throw ended up being way out of bounds or way off the target.

The OLine isn’t good, but I think it’s actually Martinez poor decision making that has made them look worse than they actually are.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

You have to seriously think about sitting him after those kinds of mistakes.

I don't really care if Smothers is slower or inexperienced or whatever.....  you have to hold players accountable for bad mistakes.

LOL, accountability? How can you suddenly expect accountability when the same mistakes have been made by numerous starters year after year and yet they still start?

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Pretty sure the offensive line is responsible for  (at least) 1/3rd of the turnovers Martinez has caused.

Plus, the right side of our offensive line looked horrible today—it was constantly getting blown out of the water by Pur-f******-due.

I mean to be fair. Purdue’s d line is the strength of their team. Specially when u consider Karlaftis is a 1st/2nd round nfl pick this year. Something we have been unable to produce for close to 10 f’n years now

Not like this really matters anyways. Our staff can’t scheme and coach a fundamentally sound offense regardless of the talent we’re facing.  Mix in some superior talent across from us? We’re f#&%ed

9 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I think the offensive line gets a lot of the blame for Martinez’s poor play. There were a handful of times today where the line gave Martinez a solid 6 seconds to make a throw and his throw ended up being way out of bounds or way off the target.

The OLine isn’t good, but I think it’s actually Martinez poor decision making that has made them look worse than they actually are.

Watched some of Bo Nix and that Ole Miss QB last night. Similar builds, running talent, and toughness as Adrian, and they make stupid mistakes too. Bo was even benched early in the year. I would say those guys are marginally better decision makers than Adrian, but the biggest difference in the team who won (Auburn) is that they have something resembling a running game, outside of the QB carrying the ball.

Doesn't excuse Adrian's poor decision making but a running game could have helped mask it.

It hurts to say, but I think it's time for Frost to unhitch from Adrian. There's a very real possibility we go O-ffer the rest of the season with Adrian, and that will cost both of them their jobs.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Watched some of Bo Nix and that Ole Miss QB last night. Similar builds, running talent, and toughness as Adrian, and they make stupid mistakes too. Bo was even benched early in the year. I would say those guys are marginally better decision makers than Adrian, but the biggest difference in the team who won (Auburn) is that they have something resembling a running game, outside of the QB carrying the ball.

Doesn't excuse Adrian's poor decision making but a running game could have helped mask it.

It hurts to say, but I think it's time for Frost to unhitch from Adrian. There's a very real possibility we go O-ffer the rest of the season with Adrian, and that will cost both of them their jobs.

Adrian should’ve been used primarily as a running QB, who threw sparingly. Set up options, QB reads all centered around running the football, only throwing short passes that developed out of a run first play.

Instead, since his injury his freshman year, they’ve tried to make him a throwing QB and removed his first instinct of just running. He isn’t that type of QB. He’s very dangerous if it’s an obvious decision or play that involves him running, but let him drop back into the pocket and he has to decided whether to run or throw, he usually freezes up, needs a lot of time, and ultimately makes a poor throw.

If you've been watching college football the last dozen years, it's full of freshman QBs and untested replacements stepping into high pressure situations and thriving because that's the intangible they all have -- they love the big moment.

I don't think you learn that. It's just how you're made. It's not going to come to you in your fifth season. 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you've been watching college football the last dozen years, it's full of freshman QBs and untested replacements stepping into high pressure situations and thriving because that's the intangible they all have -- they love the big moment.

I don't think you learn that. It's just how you're made. It's not going to come to you in your fifth season. 

I watched the illinois game with someone and he asked me if Martinez was a freshman and said he looked scared. In a depressing laugh I had to tell him he was a senior who had started for 4 years.

• Plus1 1

Again, the offensive line has done at least SOMETHING well enough to average 450 yards a game, with the kind of run/pass balance we supposedly wanted. 

As more than one observer has noted, Martinez has had time to make plenty of deep throws, and when the line does collapse early it could actually play into Adrian's strength -- get out of the pocket and make things happen with your legs. For some reason AM is reluctant to use the skill other teams fear most about him this season. 

Rahmir Johnson and Jaquez Yant finally emerged as the running backs I thought we were missing. Then I look up and they're still missing. I have no idea why the team hasn't built on some legit young RB talent. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, the offensive line has done at least SOMETHING well enough to average 450 yards a game, with the kind of run/pass balance we supposedly wanted. 

As more than one observer has noted, Martinez has had time to make plenty of deep throws, and when the line does collapse early it could actually play into Adrian's strength -- get out of the pocket and make things happen with your legs. For some reason AM is reluctant to use the skill other teams fear most about him this season. 

Rahmir Johnson and Jaquez Yant finally emerged as the running backs I thought we were missing. Then I look up and they're still missing. I have no idea why the team hasn't built on some legit young RB talent. 

The line has improved. The RB room has peaked and come back down. Adrian has regressed to last year's play, and the TEs and WRs are suffering for it.