Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Pretty good twitter thread on the ways that Adrian's been made to look worse than he is due to his OL and coaching/scheme.

OLine has definitely been a source of frustration, however, What constitutes a pressure or hurry in their view?  AM is notorious for not seeing the field well in the passing game and taking too long to find the open guy.  Is any pressure after 3.5 seconds considered a hurry?  If so, that’s not on the OLine. 

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

OLine has definitely been a source of frustration, however, What constitutes a pressure or hurry in their view?  AM is notorious for not seeing the field well in the passing game and taking too long to find the open guy.  Is any pressure after 3.5 seconds considered a hurry?  If so, that’s not on the OLine. 

I've always felt that hurries are a relevant statistic that sometimes generate an overreaction from people. They're tough to resolutely define and they're also always going to happen. Making plays under pressure is what separates good quarterbacks from great quarterbacks.

And I think what ends up being a knock on AM is that even in non-pressure situations... the offense has difficulty making plays, and quite a few of those situations have been squarely on him when he had time and opportunities. How many game tying or game winning drives at the end of a game have they failed to get points out of now? Something like 15-20? Quite a few of those ended not because of hurries but bad decision making.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I've always felt that hurries are a relevant statistic that sometimes generate an overreaction from people. They're tough to resolutely define and they're also always going to happen. Making plays under pressure is what separates good quarterbacks from great quarterbacks.

And I think what ends up being a knock on AM is that even in non-pressure situations... the offense has difficulty making plays, and quite a few of those situations have been squarely on him when he had time and opportunities. How many game tying or game winning drives at the end of a game have they failed to get points out of now? Something like 15-20? Quite a few of those ended not because of hurries but bad decision making.

I agree all around with your assessment here.  Very few passing plays are designed to take longer than that 3.5 second timeframe so I always believed the Line adequately did their job up to that point.  If they can give more time, then great.  That obviously helps the QB, but to the greater point, all pressures are not created equally.  

Just as an OLine can help make a QB look bad.  A QB can also help make an OLine look bad.  In NU’a case, I think it’s a bit of both groups making each other look bad at times.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It really doesn't matter, here. This offensive line is pretty blatantly dogs#!t no matter how you wanna define a pressure or hurry.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

My question for handling Martinez if he is constantly under pressure due to a terrible OL (Which it is a terrible OL) why they haven't designed more plays to have him either roll out or at least get him moving in the pocket? Or why hasn't Martinez himself made the decision to roll out or get moving in the pocket? He is at his best when he becomes a running threat, that too is when our offense looks at it's best, but he routinely stays in this terrible pocket for far too long and either ends up throwing to the other team, or throws it 10 yards over the WR's head, or takes a sack which often turns into a fumble. 

4 hours ago, lo country said:

the complete in ability to scheme and play call to help our or pop warner OL....

lipstick_on_a_pig.jpg?fit=800,450&ssl=1

Scheme really ain't gonna help you much, here. You can put all the lipstick on it that you want, but this offensive line is still gonna be a pig.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

My question for handling Martinez if he is constantly under pressure due to a terrible OL (Which it is a terrible OL) why they haven't designed more plays to have him either roll out or at least get him moving in the pocket? Or why hasn't Martinez himself made the decision to roll out or get moving in the pocket? He is at his best when he becomes a running threat, that too is when our offense looks at it's best, but he routinely stays in this terrible pocket for far too long and either ends up throwing to the other team, or throws it 10 yards over the WR's head, or takes a sack which often turns into a fumble. 

probably because they dont know which and when their tackles are gonna become matadors and having him roll right into the defender. i dont know why they dont utilize quick slants to slow up the pass rush. i'd want to say it isnt one of 2am's strengths but i dont ever remember seeing it done.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Just as an OLine can help make a QB look bad.  A QB can also help make an OLine look bad.  In NU’a case, I think it’s a bit of both groups making each other look bad at times.  

It's obviously a combo (if for no other reason than it's a team sport), but at the same time, the line looks s#!t 80% of the time and decent 20% of the time, while Adrian looks good to great 80% of the time and like s#!t 20% of the time.

• Plus1 2