Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In some ways, neither Martinez got better than when they were fearless freshmen. 

Junior Taylor Martinez jumped 3% in completion percentage, 1250 more yards passing, 13 more passing touchdowns, 3 points in QBR, rushed for more yards, and was first team all conference over freshman Taylor Martinez. Same amount of wins too. 

• Plus1 1

Here is another example where AM could throw the coaches, o-line, special teams (field goal kicker, punter, punt returns, kick returns, Frost for not hiring a special teams coach) and refs under the bus but he bears the brunt of the blame and keeps working hard to get better. Offenses designed around QB runs are not my preference, but it would be interesting to see what he could have done with (at the very least) a coach with average competence and average offensive line & special teams play.

Unfortunate Frost does not understand risk and reward and has not learned from previous seasons that AM needs to stay healthy to be effective and QB's in an offense designed around QB runs don't last full seasons in the B1G. For example, Nebraska was up 21-3 against Buffalo with 8:54 left in the fourth and the ball at the Buffalo 48 and Frost calls a QB run which exposed AM to a defender who twisted/spun him to the ground in the backfield. Considering the circumstances (opponent, score, game clock, field position, etc.) why risk letting your QB get hit/twisted/spun in that situation for a small reward? Bring in extra blockers and hand the ball to your third-string RB.

Use AM's athleticism to move the pocket, keep passing plays alive with his feet (which he can do when healthy) or grab some yards and get down or out-of-bounds when there is nothing open downfield, but designed QB runs & hits (especially unnecessary QB runs & hits) should be significantly reduced. When AM is healthy he is a good passer, but health has never been there for a full season which, as alluded to, he could blame others but as a leader he takes the high road.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Brandon.Lincoln said:

Here is another example where AM could throw the coaches, o-line, special teams (field goal kicker, punter, punt returns, kick returns, Frost for not hiring a special teams coach) and refs under the bus but he bears the brunt of the blame and keeps working hard to get better. Offenses designed around QB runs are not my preference, but it would be interesting to see what he could have done with (at the very least) a coach with average competence and average offensive line & special teams play.

Unfortunate Frost does not understand risk and reward and has not learned from previous seasons that AM needs to stay healthy to be effective and QB's in an offense designed around QB runs don't last full seasons in the B1G. For example, Nebraska was up 21-3 against Buffalo with 8:54 left in the fourth and the ball at the Buffalo 48 and Frost calls a QB run which exposed AM to a defender who twisted/spun him to the ground in the backfield. Considering the circumstances (opponent, score, game clock, field position, etc.) why risk letting your QB get hit/twisted/spun in that situation for a small reward? Bring in extra blockers and hand the ball to your third-string RB.

Use AM's athleticism to move the pocket, keep passing plays alive with his feet (which he can do when healthy) or grab some yards and get down or out-of-bounds when there is nothing open downfield, but designed QB runs & hits (especially unnecessary QB runs & hits) should be significantly reduced. When AM is healthy he is a good passer, but health has never been there for a full season which, as alluded to, he could blame others but as a leader he takes the high road.

Why do so many people act getting hit as a QB is so much different than any other position?  This program ran option for decades.  

The real problem I have with these “injuries” is SF appeared to leave these decisions up to AM and I don’t think that’s fair to the kid or the team.  SF needs to lead.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Why do so many people act getting hit as a QB is so much different than any other position?  This program ran option for decades.  

There real problem I have with these “injuries” is SF appeared to leave these decisions up to AM and I don’t think that’s fair to the kid or the team.  SF needs to lead.

Getting hit as a QB isn't wildly different in theory but it can be a bigger deal in reality, especially when your QB has an injury history. QB's can also be more vulnerable/squishy in the pocket, which is when a lot of QB's sustain injuries.

The issue with AM is his legs had to become a pretty significant part of this offense for it succeed, and based on his injury history, that's a difficult position to be in. But I don't know the team as well as Frost and the coaches but I don't think they continued to put him out there for no reason.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The real problem I have with these “injuries” is SF appeared to leave these decisions up to AM and I don’t think that’s fair to the kid or the team.  SF needs to lead.

Agree. He may have been technically cleared to play, as not concussed, but having a broken jaw and whatever leg/arm injury he had certainly jeopardized his long term health. Not in his best interest, or the teams. 

And what’s he going to say when asked if he feels good enough to play?

AM is a stand up guy. A baller.  A guy who, behind a better line, could be very good.  Just a perfect storm of pretty much everything that could be bad on a team was/is.  Other than the defense.......Truly wish him the best.  Wish he didn't have to end his career injured and beat to hell.  IMO, this is where Frost needed to put his desire win behind keeping a kid healthy.  Any one who has played sports knows the coach would have to drag you off the field.  The old "are you hurt or are you injured".....That's the coaches job to decide.  not the player.  No winner will come off on their own.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And what’s he going to say when asked if he feels good enough to play?

I think that's a tough road to go down because we really have no idea to what extent the injuries impacted him and what is/isn't in his best interests or the teams. Some dudes play through difficult injuries and get lauded for their toughness, while others play through difficult injuries and all of a sudden it's an indictment on the coaches.

I would further expect a) the vast majority of football players claim they can play through a lot of injuries and b) the vast majority of college coaches/medical staffs expect this and prepare for it.

• Plus1 3
On 11/21/2021 at 4:09 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

I've waited for Benhart, Corcoran or even Jurgens to make a mistake long before Martinez. Every big play, I hold my breath for the holding call. Not to mention the false start before the ball is even snapped.

Or the missed block that causes the fumble.

• Plus1 2