Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez being banged up is a by-product of having him run so often, along with the porous offensive line. Smothers was able to run so much option against Iowa because there was no "next game" to worry about. 

That will always be the case, you can't expect your QB to run that much in the Big Ten and be successful long term. Guys are going to get knicked up and be less effective come October/November.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That will always be the case, you can't expect your QB to run that much in the Big Ten and be successful long term. Guys are going to get knicked up and be less effective come October/November.

Agree 100%.  That's why although I have always loved a mobile QB and the QB run game, NU needs to find a way to be not so dependent on it, and have such a QB driven offense.  I think the recruitments of Haarberg and Torres show that Frost may be leaning that way, but I wonder what Frost's OC choice will mean going forward.

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

14 TDs to 10 INTs. That needs to improve on the INT  side. 

And honestly a much bigger failure in total was just our lack of power once we got into the red zone to pound it in there with the run game.

The coaches shouldn't have tried to win the Purdue game was the higher pass play count, it was just a bad strategy IMO. 4 of his 10 picks came in that single game, and one of those was a deflection.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Agree 100%.  That's why although I have always loved a mobile QB and the QB run game, NU needs to find a way to be not so dependent on it, and have such a QB driven offense.  I think the recruitments of Haarberg and Torres show that Frost may be leaning that way, but I wonder what Frost's OC choice will mean going forward.

I think Torres could actually be a guy that turns this program around. His high school tape in my opinion shows him to be the kind of guy that maximizes what this scheme can do.

But I'm not sure at this point if Frost makes it long enough to get him on the field.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

And honestly a much bigger failure in total was just our lack of power once we got into the red zone to pound it in there with the run game.

The coaches shouldn't have tried to win the Purdue game was the higher pass play count, it was just a bad strategy IMO. 4 of his 10 picks came in that single game, and one of those was a deflection.

I agree.  So, that leaves 6 Ints for the remaining 10 games.  While you always want improvement, that's really not that bad.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  So, that leaves 6 Ints for the remaining 10 games.  While you always want improvement, that's really not that bad.

Yep. Graham Mertz at Wisconsin has 10 this year, Sean Clifford at Penn State has 6.

And on a slightly different train of thought, I don't think the TD/INT rate is that significant of a data point, really. Total interceptions, or interceptions per game, maybe.

But if you run the ball into the end zone and win games the TD/INT ratio doesn't mean all that much. Now would I love to have a guy like CJ Stroud and have his numbers on our team? Yeah...  :waste

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

But if you run the ball into the end zone and win games the TD/INT ratio doesn't mean all that much. Now would I love to have a guy like CJ Stroud and have his numbers on our team? Yeah...  :waste

Heck yes.  But, you also have to have the team around the QB (O line) to help him have those numbers.

And...as we all know.  This is the guy who threw two INTs against our defense.  :bonez

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez being banged up is a by-product of having him run so often, along with the porous offensive line. Smothers was able to run so much option against Iowa because there was no "next game" to worry about. 

Agree.  I don’t think Smothers lasts an entire season running that much each and every game.  

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

His arm isn't Josh Allen but he's got a really nice arm. Most of his inaccuracies come from his feet, not his arm

don't disagree but I think coach Verdu teaches flawed mechanics.  I don't know for a fact he teaches it but I saw it in AM and Luke.  Where their elbows where on shorter passes was obvious and two of them doing it makes be believe that's how they are coached.  

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Let’s also not act like AM had some sort of rocket arm.  His arm strength was adequate at best and extremely erratic in the red zone.  One of the reasons his TD/INT ratio was awful

Adrian actually does have a rocket arm. His problems are much more correctable than Logan's when it comes to throwing mechanics. Adrian lacks a bit in the ability to read quickly. Ultimately, I don't think he was a slow reader, but after 2-3 years behind a porous O-Line, I think he got the yips back there. I don't think there is a quick way to fix that and it may be permanent. But, if I am an NFL coach and I have to pick between those 2 guys, I take Adrian every day because his flaws have hope of being corrected with good coaching and the rest of the package with him looks appetizing. I maintain, you can't teach a rocket arm any more than you can teach a 98 MPH fastball. Some guys just have it, the rest never will and will try to hack it with curves and sliders.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well having him run so much is wrong. He actually didn't run as much as you would think A and B stats show that running QB don't get hurt anymore that non running QBs. He was injury prone and porous line also yes