Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

It's also kinda hard to hold onto the ball in this position:

Screenshot-1210.png

True, but there were decisions made that led to him ending up in that position that he could control. I'm not saying slide necessarily (this one might have been right at the 1st down marker?), but not putting yourself in spots where you're being flipped or a defender has a clean shot at the ball can be done most of the time. Easier said than done for sure though.

• Thanks 3

Yeah, you can even throw out throw out the Rutgers game entirely and go back and review his fumbles; he has coughed up the ball a ton when he's leaning forward for yardage because he doesn't protect the ball like a running back does.

Totally fixable - just needs to wrap the ball up.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

True, but there were decisions made that led to him ending up in that position that he could control. I'm not saying slide necessarily (this one might have been right at the 1st down marker?), but not putting yourself in spots where you're being flipped or a defender has a clean shot at the ball can be done most of the time. Easier said than done for sure though.

This play was a close first down and the dive was necessary to get the first down. Both fumbles in that game I really wasn't that angry about. He had the ball high and tight on both and some combination of the sleeves and the defense making two good plays resulted in the fumbles. He wasn't Michael Vick'ing the ball or anything. The picks were both pretty egregious though.  

• Haha 2

I imagine more will come out of this interview since they say it was "wide-ranging," but sounds like Frost was letting Lubick handle part of the playcalling duties and expects to spend more time working specifically with Adrian.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/frost-lubick-shared-play-calling-duties-late-in-2020-plan-to-continue-doing-so/article_619084bf-0ff9-53e4-a3a5-c43c950698e4.html

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I imagine more will come out of this interview since they say it was "wide-ranging," but sounds like Frost was letting Lubick handle part of the playcalling duties and expects to spend more time working specifically with Adrian.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/frost-lubick-shared-play-calling-duties-late-in-2020-plan-to-continue-doing-so/article_619084bf-0ff9-53e4-a3a5-c43c950698e4.html

Somehow I am not surprised at all by this.  Also if this was the case I'd say maybe let Lubick call less of the plays going forward.  

2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

This play was a close first down and the dive was necessary to get the first down. Both fumbles in that game I really wasn't that angry about. He had the ball high and tight on both and some combination of the sleeves and the defense making two good plays resulted in the fumbles. He wasn't Michael Vick'ing the ball or anything. The picks were both pretty egregious though.  

I think what was happening in the first half of the Rutgers game was that our sideways stuff that we were calling just wasn't working. Adrian then felt the pressure to take it all on his shoulders to move the chains.

This goes back perfectly to the point about establishing the downhill power run a little bit better with our running back(s).

After those two fumbles we started to get the running game going with Mills, and voila - the field starts to open up.

As to your comment in the bold, I get what you're saying for sure and it goes back to Adrian just trying to move the chains on his own when everything else wasn't working...but you'd always rather not fumbling and then having that fourth down to either attempt a field goal or punt and pin them deep.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think what was happening in the first half of the Rutgers game was that our sideways stuff that we were calling just wasn't working. Adrian then felt the pressure to take it all on his shoulders to move the chains.

This goes back perfectly to the point about establishing the downhill power run a little bit better with our running back(s).

After those two fumbles we started to get the running game going with Mills, and voila - the field starts to open up.

As to your comment in the bold, I get what you're saying for sure and it goes back to Adrian just trying to move the chains on his own when everything else wasn't working...but you'd always rather not fumbling and then having that fourth down to either attempt a field goal or punt and pin them deep.

One thing about that first lost fumble, is Martinez made a spectacular move to avoid a loss and then the defender made a good play to poke the ball away.

The good with the bad. He absolutely needs to clean things up, but we haven’t had a good deep threat that makes a defense focus on them since Morgan. It’s telling that Martinez has had issues going downfield since one of the best receivers in program history left. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Calling plays is always collaborative so I wouldn't make all that much of this. Lubick and Walters would have always had input into the play calls and situational responsibilities.

13 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Calling plays is always collaborative so I wouldn't make all that much of this. Lubick and Walters would have always had input into the play calls and situational responsibilities.

I mean it sounds like by the end of last year Lubick was actually making the call some of time though. I haven't been one pushing for Frost to drop play calling and I'm very sure he won't, but it at least sounded like a bigger shift than just Lubick having input. 

32 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

This.

We need to pound the rock and it opens up play action bombs.

And for everyone out there...don't tell me we don't have a WR threat that can stretch the field....that's a stupid take.

I think part of the problem is how us Husker fans have had this conversation. I think we make it a binary thing where there are only two choices:

1. We do have really good downfield threats.

2. We don't have really good downfield threats.

The more I watched Levi Falck play this season, the more I felt like he's a pretty dang good athlete. Same with Alante Brown.

But I mean...those guys aren't Maurice Purify or Stanley Morgan, at all. Point is, part of the conversation is about how much of a threat our wideouts really are, because that also changes just how defenses scheme you on the line of scrimmage, etc., etc.

• Plus1 1

Levi Falck: 13 receptions for 122 yards 

Alante Brown: 3 receptions for 41 yards 

Oliver Martin: 5 receptions for 63 yards 

Not only are they not Mo Purfiy or Stan....They aren’t even close. Zavier Betts actually had 131 (the most out of any WR returning..I’m not even joking) and he got 45 of them on that one play. We had 0 downfield threat. Austin Allen was probably our best downfield threat last year. 

The TEs and WRs last year had a combined 5 touchdowns through the air. 5. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Decked said:

Levi Falck: 13 receptions for 122 yards 

Alante Brown: 3 receptions for 41 yards 

Oliver Martin: 5 receptions for 63 yards 

Not only are they not Mo Purfiy or Stan....They aren’t even close. Zavier Betts actually had 131 (the most out of any WR returning..I’m not even joking) and he got 45 of them on that one play. We had 0 downfield threat. Austin Allen was probably our best downfield threat last year. 

The TEs and WRs last year had a combined 5 touchdowns through the air. 5. 

If you look at the touches Wan'dale had.  He was really our only receiver who was "targeted".  Posted something similar in another thread.  I think only Allen had a few more touches than Levi.  In his defense, he was a pleasant side.  Had a decent target to catch ratio.  Again, IIRC, Betts had the best.  

RB-nothing proven

WR-Leading returner is a walk-on with 13 receptions

QB-Jekyll and Hyde

Wan'dale out......

McCaffrey- Possibly out......

Our O next year, with "proven" players consists of one QB.......That's about it.  I'll add Allen....

We have had a lot of potential arrive at NU the past few years.  Very few, if any have yet to live up to the hype.  And right now we have a whole lot of potential.  Again.....I'm just ready to see it finally click.

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic