Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We were 7th nationally in Completions/Attempt and 89th nationally in Passing Yards/Attempt. Downfield passing is a legitimate gripe for this team. It needs to get better. 

Passing yards/attempt says very little about if you're actually pushing the ball down the field because it doesn't differentiate between air yards and run after catch. If Team A and Team B both throw a two-yard drag route, but Team A has Travis Etienne and Amari Rodgers catching it and Team B has Wandale Robinson and Kade Warner catching it, Team A's yard per attempt is going to be a hell of a lot higher than Team B's and neither quarterback will have pushed the ball down the field further than the other. The stat that would illustrate your point is ADOT (Average Depth of Target). I'd look it up but I don't have my PFF account anymore.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The biggest problem I saw was when the Qb hit the guy at 5 yards when there was another guy at 12 yards wide open.  Yes I know I can complete a 12 yard pass.  I ran scout team QB twice while in college.  

Do you come from a naturally strong family?

• Haha 6
15 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The biggest problem I saw was when the Qb hit the guy at 5 yards when there was another guy at 12 yards wide open.  Yes I know I can complete a 12 yard pass.  I ran scout team QB twice while in college.  

The problem is you don't know which read the guy who was open 12 yards is. He could be the last read and QBs are taught to take the first open read. Or maybe he was the first read and he was covered, the QB moved on and then he came open. Judging who a QB is throwing to while watching with no knowledge of the play or reads is really not an indication of how good a QB is.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The problem is you don't know which read the guy who was open 12 yards is. He could be the last read and QBs are taught to take the first open read. Or maybe he was the first read and he was covered, the QB moved on and then he came open. Judging who a QB is throwing to while watching with no knowledge of the play or reads is really not an indication of how good a QB is.

True, but I know what peripheral vision is.  I aslo know math so if ther are 3 guys gaurding one then someone else is probably open. I usually give QBs slack when people are bagging on them.  I was a coaches son and played QB for 4 yrs so I know the diffculties of the position and being yelled at for not making the correct read.  It's not easy but there were times when both QBs left me scratching my head when they missed guys.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 12:45 PM, Mavric said:

By the way, Martinez last year was actually had noticeably better completion percentage than Lawrence on passes 10-19 yards downfield.  

Martinez completed 66.7% of those passes.

Lawrence completed 57.3% of those passes.

The fact that their ypa was pretty close - 11.7 for Martinez, 11.3 for Lawrence - mostly says that Lawrence had much better guys to throw to who could make plays after the catch.  Which is the biggest factor in Nebraska's lack of a downfield passing game.

Is that Adjusted Yards per Attempt, or straight up YPA?

I still see Martinez at 7.0 YPA last year, down from 7.8 the year before. That puts him in similar position to Tommy Armstrong (7.4 in 2016) , Taylor Martinez (7.8 in 2012), and Scott Frost (7.8 in 1997).  Taylor's worst completion percentage his freshman year happened to be his best YPA @ 8.3.  Other reference points; Joe Ganz (8.5 in 2009), Tommie Frazier (8.4 in 1995), Turner Gill (8.9 in 1983) and the most overlooked QB in Nebraska history, Gerry Gdowski's 9.8 in 1989, with 19 TDs and 2 INTs. 

WCO related schemes brought completions percentages up, and I'm guessing the YPA down, but Passing Yards per Attempt is really no different than Rushing Yards per Attempt. If you can count on getting 4.6 yards every rush, 4.6 ypa is pretty good. But  that's usually not the case, and the lower per attempt numbers just mean a less efficient offense.

Nebraska quarterbacks in the Osborne era often had some of the highest passer ratings in the NCAA -- middling completion percentage and all -- but didn't qualify for minimum number of attempts. 

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

True, but I know what peripheral vision is.  I aslo know math so if ther are 3 guys gaurding one then someone else is probably open. I usually give QBs slack when people are bagging on them.  I was a coaches son and played QB for 4 yrs so I know the diffculties of the position and being yelled at for not making the correct read.  It's not easy but there were times when both QBs left me scratching my head when they missed guys.  

I always thought a big problem with Taylor Martinez in the pocket was bad peripheral vision. It honestly looked like he didn't see the trouble coming. That doesn't seem to be a problem with Adrian.

16 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

16 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Do you come from a naturally strong family?

Could you throw this ball over that mountain? 

• Haha 5
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic