Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

• 2 weeks later...

51 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I'd say T-Mart. But I think Adrian is a more complete QB then Taylor was. BUT Taylor was alot more successful then Adrian has been thus far in his career

Both have their positives and negatives, I wouldnt describe either as a "complete" QB. Both have good running ability, one was a straight line guy with great top end and poor lateral, the other has good lateral speed and explosiveness when needed. Both were good teammates and represent the brand well. Both were supportive of the coaching staff and played through injuries- good kids. 

Both have a strong tendency to give away the football via the fumble. Both are prone to doing backyard football stuff to try and make plays- making poor decisions. Both have poor pocket awareness- take too many sacks. Both have a tendency to lock onto receivers early and telegraph their throws. Both will throw into double coverage and force plays instead of locating secondary targets. Adrian hasnt shown consistency in hitting deeper throws. Both throw too many interceptions. 

The last QB that could have been "complete" was Joe Ganz and he may have needed better feet to have earned that title. Taylor was a much better big play runner. Its a real shame Joe got screwed over by Callahan- should have started 2 years instead of one. 

Ganz was:

381/585   .651   5,125   8.8 per attempt 

44/18 Ints   157  QBR

Taylor-

575/962  .598  7,258 7.4   per attempt  56/29 Ints

136 QBR

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Both have their positives and negatives, I wouldnt describe either as a "complete" QB. Both have good running ability, one was a straight line guy with great top end and poor lateral, the other has good lateral speed and explosiveness when needed. Both were good teammates and represent the brand well. Both were supportive of the coaching staff and played through injuries- good kids. 

Both have a strong tendency to give away the football via the fumble. Both are prone to doing backyard football stuff to try and make plays- making poor decisions. Both have poor pocket awareness- take too many sacks. Both have a tendency to lock onto receivers early and telegraph their throws. Both will throw into double coverage and force plays instead of locating secondary targets. Adrian hasnt shown consistency in hitting deeper throws. Both throw too many interceptions. 

The last QB that could have been "complete" was Joe Ganz and he may have needed better feet to have earned that title. Taylor was a much better big play runner. Its a real shame Joe got screwed over by Callahan- should have started 2 years instead of one. 

Ganz was:

381/585   .651   5,125   8.8 per attempt 

44/18 Ints   157  QBR

Taylor-

575/962  .598  7,258 7.4   per attempt  56/29 Ints

136 QBR

I totally agree with what you're saying, and I probably should have used a different word than complete. Adrian is far from a complete QB, but he is a pretty good runner, and I think a better passer than T-Mart. Thats why I said complete. However there is no question Ganz is a far more "complete" QB than either Martinez. I was just answering the question of Adrian Martinez is our best QB since? 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, hagg said:

If we were to pose the question as, "Adrian Martinez is the best Husker quarterback since (fill in the blank)," what would/could we say?

Honestly. 

Tommy Armstrong.  Guy wasn't a world beater...threw too many picks, but he also took chances and had a cannon to back it up.  Over 90 TDs accounted for and over 10000 yards from scrimmage in his career.  And he was our last "winning" quarterback.  

AD needs over 2700 total yards this year and 37 total TDs to match Armstrong's 4 years.

I liked Taylor, liked Armstrong and still like Adrian.  They all brought something different to the table.  Hopefully, this is the year we've been waiting for from him.  He's got the ability.

• Plus1 3
24 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Tommy Armstrong.  Guy wasn't a world beater...threw too many picks, but he also took chances and had a cannon to back it up.  Over 90 TDs accounted for and over 10000 yards from scrimmage in his career.  And he was our last "winning" quarterback.  

AD needs over 2700 total yards this year and 37 total TDs to match Armstrong's 4 years.

Quantity isn't a great metric for a quarterback. First, Tommy only had one season with a higher qbr than Adrian's lowest so far. Second, Adrian's worst years are better than Tommy's in completion percentage, rushing (edit: barely off on this one, Tommy had 721 one year), and they're pretty much identical in Y/A and AY/A.

If you average their career totals over the number of games played thus far, it breaks down like so:

Tommy per game (45 games) - 197.13 passing yards, 1.48 passing touchdowns, .97 interceptions, 40.4 rushing yards, .51 rushing touchdowns 

Adrian per game (28 games) - 201 passing yards, 1.107 passing touchdowns, .71 interceptions, 63.42 rushing yards, .785 rushing touchdowns

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Quantity isn't a great metric for a quarterback. First, Tommy only had one season with a higher qbr than Adrian's lowest so far. Second, Adrian's worst years are better than Tommy's in completion percentage, rushing (edit: barely off on this one, Tommy had 721 one year), and they're pretty much identical in Y/A and AY/A.

If you average their career totals over the number of games played thus far, it breaks down like so:

Tommy per game (45 games) - 197.13 passing yards, 1.48 passing touchdowns, .97 interceptions, 40.4 rushing yards, .51 rushing touchdowns 

Adrian per game (28 games) - 201 passing yards, 1.107 passing touchdowns, .71 interceptions, 63.42 rushing yards, .785 rushing touchdowns

Regardless of the metric, best QB since Armstrong.  Tommys offenses scored...and scored in bunches.  It was a team effort for sure...but we'd all give our left nut for Tommy's era offensive stats this year.

• Plus1 3
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic