Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And that 0-10 yards would be 17-18 with a TD if Warner had caught the pass that hit him in both hands in the end zone against Ohio State.

But this shows pretty clearly we're not pushing the ball downfield, so the question becomes - is that a QB issue, a scheme issue or a talent issue? Because I'm thinking at least 50% of the issue is we don't have any WRs that can stretch the defense right now.

I think there is something to the theory that we're running 10+ yard routes, and the QBs aren't throwing them. But some of that is probably because guys aren't open downfield - I think the coaches were hoping McCaffrey would pull the trigger more, but it doesn't seem like he did. Hindsight is 20/20 and I don't know what the week of practice looked like, but starting McCaffrey against Illinois is not ageing well. 

EDIT: I mean obviously we're running 10+ yard routes, I should say we're running plays where those routes are the first/second reads. 

Just overlapping into the Offensive Plays thread a bit, what I would love to see is out personnel masquerading our actual intentions for a change.  Bring Scott in as RB, along with our best blocking TE's on one side on the right, and 1 WR spread out wide all on his own on the left.  Run play action the Scott towards the TE side (pulling the safeties in that direction) with that WR as the first read and if it's a 50/50 ball throw it up anyway.  If the CB is blanketing the WR, then the QB starts an RPO rolling behind the two TE's with the outside TE initially engaging his block for 2 seconds and then releasing as the second read.  The QB then has the RPO choice as he's rolling to his right. Hell you could really throw them off by putting an OL (Corcoran, Banks or Gaylord come to mind) in as the inside TE. 

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Martinez for the year:

20+ yards - 3/11, 79 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT

10-20 yards - 6/8, 110 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

0-10 yards - 22/26, 170 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

Behind LOS - 14/16, 88 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Other than Northwestern game:

20+ yards - 2/4, 54 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

10-20 yards - 4/4, 68 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

0-10 yards - 16/18, 135 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Behind LOS - 11/11, 63 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Interesting stats.  That shows a pretty big improvement on the short passes than we saw last year.

Also, looking at 10+ yards down the field with taking the NW game out, 75% is pretty dang good.  We just don't have that guy that can be that target 20+ yards down field. Also, it appears we attempted 7  20+ yard passes in the NW game.  That surprises me.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

And that 0-10 yards would be 17-18 with a TD if Warner had caught the pass that hit him in both hands in the end zone against Ohio State.

But this shows pretty clearly we're not pushing the ball downfield, so the question becomes - is that a QB issue, a scheme issue or a talent issue? Because I'm thinking at least 50% of the issue is we don't have any WRs that can stretch the defense right now.

I think its a combination of the 3. We lack talent (and experience) at the WR spot to push it down the field. Another important factor I've noticed is that in Amart's first year it seemed as though there were more designed deep throws with minimal reads (reading one player versus progression). I think we are seeing too many plays called now which require Amart to read coverage (more of a progression tree style offense) - so I think some of the issues we are seeing with Amart last year and this year are play design/scheme. 

3 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I think its a combination of the 3. We lack talent (and experience) at the WR spot to push it down the field. Another important factor I've noticed is that in Amart's first year it seemed as though there were more designed deep throws with minimal reads (reading one player versus progression). I think we are seeing too many plays called now which require Amart to read coverage (more of a progression tree style offense) - so I think some of the issues we are seeing with Amart last year and this year are play design/scheme. 

That's part of his evolution as a quarterback, though. Multiple routes, multiple reads, he decides in-play which is the best option, and makes the throw.

Problem is, he's constantly going through multiple reads, not seeing an open receiver, and hitting the check-down. But by the time he goes through those reads the defense has identified the outlet guy and rallied to him. So even if he completes that pass, it's for a minimal gain.

I'd like to see how many of those 16 passes thrown behind the LOS have come after Martinez has gone through his progressions. I'm guessing it's a fair percentage, because nobody's open in the route.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'd like to see how many of those 16 passes thrown behind the LOS have come after Martinez has gone through his progressions. I'm guessing it's a fair percentage, because nobody's open in the route.

I guess I don't think a lot of the passes behind the line are check-downs.  I think they are mostly the bubble screens.  He was 7/7 behind the line against Iowa and I know for sure at least four of them were bubble screens because Chaz had posts of the video.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess I don't think a lot of the passes behind the line are check-downs.  I think they are mostly the bubble screens.  He was 7/7 behind the line against Iowa and I know for sure at least four of them were bubble screens because Chaz had posts of the video.

I would imagine that most of Adrian's passes behind the line of scrimmage are designed swing passes or bubble screens.  The swing passes are basically long-hand offs.

• Fire 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I would imagine that most of Adrian's passes behind the line of scrimmage are designed swing passes or bubble screens.  The swing passes are basically long-hand offs.

@Mavric

I think you're both right. My guess that it's a "fair percentage" would be about 1/3 of those passes, so 5-6. Which would mean five or six plays designed to go down field but no one is open. And that goes back to our young/not great WR corps.

@ZRod I remember they ran the double slant I want to say 2nd drive of NW game. 3rd and medium good pass by Martinez would have been a 1st and dropped by Liewer.  I think maybe the problem the coaching staff got themselves into was that they thought the better underclassmen WRs werent ready. Now QBs only have good timing with the original starting WRs who just arent good enough. Now you either roll with WRs that just wont get it done or start putting in WRs that are better but have a hard time on timing plays like that, and hope the QB can get chemistry on the fly. Just my theory though.  

Ok. I have been an AM apologist for his entire career. I really like him. He drives me nuts at times but I want him to succeed so badly. I admit, I did call for LM after the NW game.  

It is so nice to see AM stay composed and positive.  41-50 in last 2 games. Pretty stinking good.

Best part is interview on BTN after game.  He may be one of classiest Husker ever. Wanted to make sure he acted like a captain even when was benched. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic