Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Somebody earlier in this thread said "how do you reconcile the Rutgers game of 2020," referring to Martinez's four turnovers.

I mean...we won that game? So I guess the way I reconcile it was he, the offensive line, and Mills overcame the turnovers and wound up winning anyway.

We can cherry pick games to fit an argument all day of course, but I look more at games like Minnesota last year. Martinez had 96 yards rushing, threw for a 59% completion, and had one fumble. Our other three RBs had a combined 101 yards rushing. Something's kind of wrong with that.

McNuggets comes in for one series and throws an interception. When Minnesota was driving late in the 2nd quarter I believe we had a dumb penalty on defense that gave them a first down. We also missed a 30 yard field goal.

Martinez needs to cut down on the turnovers. But I'm addressing the posts that seem to indicate that Martinez's play is the thing that's holding us back from going 8-4 or something. I just really disagree with that sentiment.

No one is saying that

What some are saying is our poor QB selection and development is playing a part in us not being a 6-6 or 7-5 team. Be serious- has there been any significant improvement in Martinez, Gebbia, Bunch, Vedral, McCaffrey, Smothers???

When you lose 12 games by a score or less AND watch the games- the consistently poor quality of our QB play DEFINITELY plays a part in losing many of those games. 6-6 or 7-5 changes the trajectory of the program and keeps you from having the 60th ranked recruiting class and losing most of the best in state kids. 

2 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Mills was all we had. but that's still not a good excuse to running fumblelina.

So, don't have him carry the ball then or just run him less?

Adrian had 96 yards rushing on 15 carries and averaged 6.4 YPC. Mills had 50 yards rushing on 12 carries for an average of 4.1 YPC.

Those are just stats; interpret them how you will.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Somebody earlier in this thread said "how do you reconcile the Rutgers game of 2020," referring to Martinez's four turnovers.

I mean...we won that game? So I guess the way I reconcile it was he, the offensive line, and Mills overcame the turnovers and wound up winning anyway.

You reconcile it with it was RUTGERS- one of the worst P5 teams in College Football history. 

• Plus1 1

AM got to big (physically) imo, and I remember at some point referring to it...I think the size he is now will show flashes of Freshmen year with some seasoning of experience...he is going to be good but NOT great this year...which I am fine with...a good QB is infinitely better than a mediocre QB compared to good vs great

Good QB S make good decisions...which at the end of the day is what our offense needs...we don't need great..we need consistency 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Undone said:

So, don't have him carry the ball then or just run him less?

Adrian had 96 yards rushing on 15 carries and averaged 6.4 YPC. Mills had 50 yards rushing on 12 carries for an average of 4.1 YPC.

Those are just stats; interpret them how you will.

not healthy for a QB to run it 15 times per game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

not healthy for a QB to run it 15 times per game. 

If they are designed runs, I would agree with you.  In a perfect world, you might call 1-2 per quarter.  The reality is half of his runs were not called.  They were cases where the O-Line broke down, receivers weren't open, and he was trying to gain some positive yards.  

• Plus1 3
56 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If they are designed runs, I would agree with you.  In a perfect world, you might call 1-2 per quarter.  The reality is half of his runs were not called.  They were cases where the O-Line broke down, receivers weren't open, and he was trying to gain some positive yards.  

Eh.  It still boils down to decision making.  Sometimes especially if you're a quarterback you've got to learn to just get rid of the ball, run out of bounds or slide when things break down.  Lunging for an extra yard when it's not necessary only to fumble the ball isn't smart football from the qb position.  Hopefully we finally see less of these types of things this year.  We're going to need to.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Eh.  It still boils down to decision making.  Sometimes especially if you're a quarterback you've got to learn to just get rid of the ball, run out of bounds or slide when things break down.  Lunging for an extra yard when it's not necessary only to fumble the ball isn't smart football from the qb position.  Hopefully we finally see less of these types of things this year.  We're going to need to.

Unfortunately Adrian has some of the very same awkward running decisions Taylor Martinez exhibited  later in his career. Running very high into contact, leaving your feet 8 yards from the sticks, not sliding when he should and sliding when going head first could get you a first down, running very late to a closed running lane when there is plenty of green and a first down early, throwing into double coverage instead of throwing it away, the backyard football stuff- and inevitable turnover. Some of his zone read plays are called and optimized for the give- but even when that is taken into consideration- his reads are 50/50 at best. He just hasnt seen much improvement since a very promising Freshman season-thats on the Opera Lover. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with his read guy being on him nearly as fast as the snap due to poor Oline play.... 

You do realize WE ARENT BLOCKING THAT READ DEFENDER- that's why they call it a "read". It would be impossible to block him incorrectly or the play being hurt due to bad Oline play on the read guy- since THE READ GUY ISNT BEING BLOCKED:dunno :D Are you SERIOUS? See how the play works is- whatever the read guy does- you make him wrong- thats how basic option football works. There are books- or you can invest 2-3 minutes in reading an article or actually watching a game and listening to the commentators. 

This may help you. Its a big part of our offense for what about 20 years- you may want to know how it really works. It is really basic football that most people understand. Its considered to be common knowledge= been around FOREVER  https://weeklyspiral.com/2019/11/22/zone-read-made-easy-brought-to-you-by-the-baltimore-ravens/

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt on many of the "gives" when the defender has closed down on the running back- giving the QB a "keep" read- One could only hope the gives are being called since the keeps are often times wide open on the gives.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Since Adrian's rushing attempts are the topic du jour at the moment, allow me to bump a little topic I wrote a few years ago: 

EDIT: I'll update with Adrian's stats thus far, and add them to the original topic.

2018: Adrian Martinez - 11 games/140 att (13 att/g) (64.6%)

2019: Adrian Martinez - 10 games/144 att (14 att/g) (59.4%)

2020: Adrian Martinez - 7 games/91 att (13 att/g) (71.5%)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Since Adrian's rushing attempts are the topic du jour at the moment, allow me to bump a little topic I wrote a few years ago: 

Could you provide your coaching resume? I'd like to see how many QBs you've coached and the number of camps you've attended. Thanks

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
44 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You do realize WE ARENT BLOCKING THAT READ DEFENDER- that's why they call it a "read". It would be impossible to block him incorrectly or the play being hurt due to bad Oline play on the read guy- since THE READ GUY ISNT BEING BLOCKED:dunno :D Are you SERIOUS? See how the play works is- whatever the read guy does- you make him wrong- thats how basic option football works. There are books- or you can invest 2-3 minutes in reading an article or actually watching a game and listening to the commentators. 

This may help you. Its a big part of our offense for what about 20 years- you may want to know how it really works. It is really basic football that most people understand. Its considered to be common knowledge= been around FOREVER  https://weeklyspiral.com/2019/11/22/zone-read-made-easy-brought-to-you-by-the-baltimore-ravens/

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt on many of the "gives" when the defender has closed down on the running back- giving the QB a "keep" read- One could only hope the gives are being called since the keeps are often times wide open on the gives.

And when the read guy is close enough to tackle either ball carrier before the exchange the read is moot. Its like trying to stop a car accident when you already made contact with the bumper. 

• Plus1 1