Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Just now, Husker in WI said:

5 of those yards are still behind the line of scrimmage, and guys close pretty quick on the RB sitting in the flat. I have less of a problem with the QB scrambling for 9 yards, and you shouldn't need to hold when the guy is still right in front of you. They called Jurgens IIRC, and he was just bear hugging the guy - didn't need to hold for the scramble to work. 

If the ball goes out of Martinez hand after the rhythm read isn't there- there is no holding called. And we don't lose 10 yards. Room on the outside. 

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

5 of those yards are still behind the line of scrimmage, and guys close pretty quick on the RB sitting in the flat. I have less of a problem with the QB scrambling for 9 yards, and you shouldn't need to hold when the guy is still right in front of you. They called Jurgens IIRC, and he was just bear hugging the guy - didn't need to hold for the scramble to work. 

Wasn't this the play that Jurgens had his arm around the guy?  It seemed to me that he had his hand on him and his hand slipped past the shoulder pads.  It's not like he meant to do it.  Yes, he should have had better hand placement.  It wasn't a play where he was getting beat and grabbed the guy.  It was one of those plays where I said...seriously, you called that?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wasn't this the play that Jurgens had his arm around the guy?  It seemed to me that he had his hand on him and his hand slipped past the shoulder pads.  It's not like he meant to do it.  Yes, he should have had better hand placement.  It wasn't a play where he was getting beat and grabbed the guy.  It was one of those plays where I said...seriously, you called that?

if you have your arms outside the frame- there is a pretty good chance you are going to get called for it if the refs see it- unless of course you are playing against Nebraskas defense.  

7 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

if you have your arms outside the frame- there is a pretty good chance you are going to get called for it if the refs see it- unless of course you are playing against Nebraskas defense.  

I get that and technically, I guess it should be called.  But, like I said, it's not like he was getting beat and grabbed the guy.  There is a lot worse that isn't called.  Like I said, if he has better hand placement, it probably doesn't happen.

8 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

normally I would agree but the kid got under Jurgens and was just trying to push him back.  To me it didn't even look like he tried to go left or right for Jurgens to be even holding him from doing so.

16 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If the ball goes out of Martinez hand after the rhythm read isn't there- there is no holding called. And we don't lose 10 yards. Room on the outside. 

I get the idea of getting the ball to playmakers in space, I just don't think there would be that much space. And the RB probably isn't even in the reads for this play unless there is a blitz - I totally agree Martinez seems to process pretty slowly. But he steps up left after ~3.5 seconds, and I don't think anyone makes it to their 5th read in that time. Especially since some of the reads probably take a couple seconds to develop. There was a lot to criticize in that game, I don't think that play is one of them for Martinez. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I get that and technically, I guess it should be called.  But, like I said, it's not like he was getting beat and grabbed the guy.  There is a lot worse that isn't called.

Yeah, usually if there's no jersey pull or arm wrapped around the neck they let it go. Similar to the Offensive PI in my opinion - technically a penalty, but they almost never get called that way. Getting a couple of those stings. The roughing was unfortunately a reasonable call, he didn't hit him late but he drove him into the ground pretty good.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Similar to the Offensive PI in my opinion - technically a penalty, but they almost never get called that way. 

I disagree- they are calling that quite a bit now. Especially if the receiver doesn't even bother to look back at the QB like Martin did. It was blatant and a big mistake that shouldnt have happened. 

4 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

You know what happens when you throw off the back foot? 

You know why people throw off their back foot?  Either the rush is too fast to step into the throw or the QB anticipates non existent pressure which is what happens much much too often in AM’a case.  He is too focused on the rush instead of what’s going on in the defensive backfield. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You know why people throw off their back foot?  Either the rush is too fast to step into the throw or the QB anticipates non existent pressure which is what happens much much too often in AM’a case.  He is too focused on the rush instead of what’s going on in the defensive backfield. 

Correct- he has terrible pocket awareness and presence. 

The QB whisperer opera guy should get on this thing called utube- they have a bunch of drills you can teach QBs to do that help quite a bit with that stuff. Im guessing Verduzco has invented his own really odd rendition of these type of drills- to gain that coveted guru status. Unfortunately the gurus stuff doesnt seem to be working very well. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

normally I would agree but the kid got under Jurgens and was just trying to push him back.  To me it didn't even look like he tried to go left or right for Jurgens to be even holding him from doing so.

it looked like the defender was trying to hug him. wasnt much jurgens could do.

2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Correct- he has terrible pocket awareness and presence. 

Your takes are pretty melodramatic.

You can pick out a couple plays against Illinois where he threw off his back foot. But watch through the quick YouTube vids (I've posted one) where it's cuts of just whistle-to-whistle plays only; our pass protection was bad throughout the game and pocket presence isn't something I'm looking at that even cracks the top 5 reasons we lost this one.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm going to give Illinois defense  some credit.  They played hard and looked pretty determined to stop the run.  They have a decent secondary and we had guys open.  Martin and Toure were open a bunch.  That's a good sign.  Now the hard part is getting them the ball.  If you can start hitting the underneath stuff and letting guys run with it that will help.  Unfortunately when we targeted the underneath guy is was too often Leiwer.  Manning had a good one.  More of that then the safeties creep up and you hit the long stuff.  Adrian did hit the nice one to Martin down the middle.  It was also mentioned a few times how windy it was on the field. That could have affected Adrian a little.  I'm just going to hope some of this will get fixed this week.  quite a few games left and I don't want to spend all my time poo pooing the team every chance I get.  I'm sure they hate losing more than anyone on this board.  They are the ones who have to go out there every week.

we have 1 play.. its the QB run... its the only play we have had for years.. I know it.. Brett B knows it.. hell even my wife knows it !!! It was Taylor Martinez ONLY play.. unless somehow a defender falls down.. or we run a pick.. and the refs don't see it.. we have no other play !!! since we eliminated the power run !! think about it !!! no fullback.. there is NO THREAT of a full back five.. folks.. go back and watch the Rutgers game from last year... I think we all had "some" hope.. right? where the F.. did that offense go? was it a 1 game anomaly? or was it because we had a power back..? What happened to number 0 ? he was a beast in spring... Edit--> It was windy for BOTH Qb's and Adrian is the Senior... not the backup who was beaten by Noah, and really beat out Noah and Adrian in reality.... everyone keeps talking about the "Windy day" or "first game jitters" .... folks.. it goes both ways and it was first game .. first game for under a new coach for ILL... we gotta quit looking for excuses...pretty soon some of you will start blaming Trump when blaming Riley doesn't work based on math lol.

Edited by OreGUNHusker
Wind issue
24 minutes ago, Undone said:

You can pick out a couple plays against Illinois where he threw off his back foot. But watch through the quick YouTube vids (I've posted one) where it's cuts of just whistle-to-whistle plays only; our pass protection was bad throughout the game and pocket presence isn't something I'm looking at that even cracks the top 5 reasons we lost this one.

Then you are looking at the wrong stuff 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Im going to disagree with this. I was at the game and rewatched it last night. He holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't sense the pressure well, never has really. He got sacked 5 times, that isn't all on the Oline. 

Hes a great kid, he just isn't a very good QB at all on so many fronts. He is however the best option we have now at winning because our QB coach sucks at choosing and developing players. 

HE OVERTHREW TWO VERY WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS ON MEDIUM THROWS THAT WERE SURE TDS. HE HAD TIME ON BOTH THROWS. 

He fumbled the ball which was returned by the other team for a TOUCHDOWN. He has LED THE NATION in QB fumbles- and he did more of the same in game 1. We lost by 8 points- you do the math. 

• Plus1 3