Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Adrian had plenty of time to plant his feet and wait for receivers who apparently didn't get open. 

I'm not sure that's really the case.  At times, sure.  But Pro Football Focus differentiates between when the OL gives up pressure and when the QB holds it too long and gets pressured.  I don't know how many pressures they credited to Martinez but the line was credited with giving up pressures/hits/sacks 16 times on 34 pass attempts (including sacks).  Basically every other pass play he was getting pressured.  Being under that much heat definitely has an effect, even when you're not getting pressured.

I know much was made of Martinez overthrowing Hickman in the left flat on one play.  The announcers talked about Martinez missing another target.  But when they showed the replay, Martinez was having to slide left to avoid pressure and then was basically skipping away from the guy trying to grab his ankles as he was throwing.  But they didn't make any mention of that.  That's a far from ideal way to try to throw a pass.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure that's really the case.  At times, sure.  But Pro Football Focus differentiates between when the OL gives up pressure and when the QB holds it too long and gets pressured.  I don't know how many pressures they credited to Martinez but the line was credited with giving up pressures/hits/sacks 16 times on 34 pass attempts (including sacks).  Basically every other pass play he was getting pressured.  Being under that much heat definitely has an effect, even when you're not getting pressured.

I know much was made of Martinez overthrowing Hickman in the left flat on one play.  The announcers talked about Martinez missing another target.  But when they showed the replay, Martinez was having to slide left to avoid pressure and then was basically skipping away from the guy trying to grab his ankles as he was throwing.  But they didn't make any mention of that.  That's a far from ideal way to try to throw a pass.

It's funny listening to the announcer's comments without context and then hearing people complaining about it here too.

Maybe people didn't notice but the long throw to Martin in the 1st game was a back foot throw under pressure too. Then in the 4th he had another one on the last scoring drive that he got off to Martin for a first down as he was being horse collard, which he followed up on 3rd and 6 with a back foot throw to Toure for a 1st down where he got smoked by the blitzer after releasing the ball. He only threw one incomplete pass on that 91 yard drive, and scramble 3 times for 2 first downs, and we had the bad snap. He basically willed the team down the field on the drive.

The final drive was all long routes. We didn't have time to run it and keep them honest so Illinois just sat back and covered. The last 4 downs were basically one bad throw by Martinez, two pressures and one weird play where it could have maybe been a jump ball but Leiwer stopped the route. Martinez go laid out on the last play by a 4 man rush... It was definitely a close game because Adrian kept us in it, not inspite of him.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah.  He needs to get rid of it quicker.

The plays I mentioned on the last scoring drive

• 3 seconds on the horse collar and Lewier was a check down
  • 2 seconds and he hit Toure on a slant
  • 3 seconds and he scrambles for a gain of 10
  • 2 seconds and Martinez has to step up to avoid pressure, he takes off at 3 seconds for a gain of 26.

Most NFL QBs are averaging around 2.7 seconds for their time to throw (getting the ball off). Martinez has 2 to 3 seconds before he's getting touched...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Adrian holds a 12-18 record AT NEBRASKA.  How on earth have we not moved on to a better alternative at this point?

#36 all time for Nebraska QBs?  Yea that sounds about right...

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-nebraska-cornhuskers-quarterbacks/ranker-college-football

Taylor Martinez (29-14) is ranked #16 all time.  Also is about right. 

Makes one wonder. The only issue is- due to our poor QB  eval skills topped only by worse development coaching means Adrian is still the very best option we have to win.  Fire Verduzco

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Adrian holds a 12-18 record AT NEBRASKA.  How on earth have we not moved on to a better alternative at this point?

#36 all time for Nebraska QBs?  Yea that sounds about right...

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-nebraska-cornhuskers-quarterbacks/ranker-college-football

Taylor Martinez (29-14) is ranked #16 all time.  Also is about right. 

What is that site?

Adrian is not the problem. He's done all of this with a shoddy offensive line. 

From his bio on Huskers.com:

Adrian Martinez has started every game at quarterback this season. He has completed 60 percent of his passes (33-of-55) for 486 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing 25 times for 144 yards and three scores. Martinez enters the Buffalo game as Nebraska's leading passer and rusher.

Martinez accounted for 343 yards of offense at Illinois, out-gaining the Illini by himself. He threw for 232 yards and one touchdown and posted his fifth career 100-yard rushing game with 111 yards on 17 carries with one score. In the win over Fordham the next week, Martinez accounted for 287 yards of offense in less than three quarters, completing 17-of-23 passes for 254 yards and one touchdown and rushing eight times for 33 yards and two scores.

Entering the Buffalo game, Martinez is one of only three active FBS players with 6,000 career passing yards and 1,500 career rushing yards. He also ranks third among active quarterbacks with 1,920 career rushing yards. Among FBS players with at least 20 career starts, Martinez ranks seventh with an average of 267.8 yards of total offense per game. He also enters the Buffalo game ranked third in school history in passing yards and total offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Because there wasn't one.

McCaffrey was many people's favorite player on the team by late 2019. He got his crack to take the starting job last year, blew the opportunity, and then transferred out.

And as crazy as this sounds, Gebbia might have also eventually gotten the starting job from Adrian - but he quit, too.

This is another reason in my opinion to show support for Adrian - look at all of the guys who quit on Frost or couldn't get it together (especially looking at Spielman, Washington, Gebbia, & Wan'Dale). Then look at the great attitude Adrian has had in the face of adversity. Guy just keeps showing up and giving it his all.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, TheSker said:

Again, there's your perception and what actually happened 

Par for the course.

So the perception of Adrian Martinez's still underwhelming decision making, and the number of playcalls that involve slower-developing long routes to WRs, and replays showing receivers not getting enough separation while Adrian holds the ball is something me and the announcers and the analyst are making up? 

Does a sequence of fourth quarter plays mean this perception is unfounded?

So I guess the new narrative is that Adrian Martinez would be a star on another team, and the offensive scheme is just fine. It's all the Offensive Line's fault. Except for the sequences where everything works. 

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What is that site?

Adrian Martinez has started every game at quarterback this season. He has completed 60 percent of his passes (33-of-55) for 486 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing 25 times for 144 yards and three scores. Martinez enters the Buffalo game as Nebraska's leading passer and rusher.

Martinez accounted for 343 yards of offense at Illinois, out-gaining the Illini by himself. He threw for 232 yards and one touchdown and posted his fifth career 100-yard rushing game with 111 yards on 17 carries with one score. In the win over Fordham the next week, Martinez accounted for 287 yards of offense in less than three quarters, completing 17-of-23 passes for 254 yards and one touchdown and rushing eight times for 33 yards and two scores.

Entering the Buffalo game, Martinez is one of only three active FBS players with 6,000 career passing yards and 1,500 career rushing yards. He also ranks third among active quarterbacks with 1,920 career rushing yards. Among FBS players with at least 20 career starts, Martinez ranks seventh with an average of 267.8 yards of total offense per game. He also enters the Buffalo game ranked third in school history in passing yards and total offense.

Yes! Adrian isn't responsible for or the cause for all of our issues! I don't think the development has been there or has the offensive line play helped his cause. I think that injuries has affected his mechanics some. And not having enough options. Plus, it seems to me the plays where he's in motion plays to his strengths. Better mechanics. There's a reason he's a starter. Not to suggest that he doesn't have weaknesses or areas legitimately needing improvement. He's just not the awful player he's sometimes made out to be.  The degree that he's depended on and expected to carry the load is revealing. We haven't had nearly enough strong running game. The offensive line play hasn't been all that good. These sort of weaknesses play a role in exposing his vulnerabilities. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What is that site?

Wait. Are you questioning the objectivity of one site, then using Adrian's bio on Husker.com as your counterpoint? 

We're getting to that Jammal Lord place, where record-setting numbers are part of a one-dimensional offense that loses a lot of games. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. Are you questioning the objectivity of one site, then using Adrian's bio on Husker.com as your counterpoint? 

We're getting to that Jammal Lord place, where record-setting numbers are part of a one-dimensional offense that loses a lot of games. 

Ranker is some sort of public-driven vote site, right? That's hardly an objective measure of anything.

Huskers.com is just saying what he's done this year. Is there any dispute to any of that?

I'm not here proclaiming 2AM as a great QB. His issues are well known by now, so it's kind of pointless to pretend he's an all-time great.  At times he's pretty good and pretty bad. And we don't know which player we're going to get from snap to snap. 

But let's also allow the fact that his O Line just got pushed around by Fordham for half a game, and he was under duress the entire game against Illinois. So there are other factors contributing to his play. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So I guess the new narrative is that Adrian Martinez would be a star on another team, and the offensive scheme is just fine. It's all the Offensive Line's fault. Except for the sequences where everything works. 

I hate to interject in the middle of a classic 'Guy vs TheSker' volley.

Personally I think the scheme is about as close to perfect as it can reasonably be. I think Scott diverged from the UCF scheme starting in early 2019 and wants to be a power running team. Something that I'm pretty sure the majority of lifelong fans really want at the core.

But this team lacks a Helu Jr., Burkhead, and definitely lacks an Ameer Abdullah. I do think that is a pretty big factor to look at.