Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Because there wasn't one.

McCaffrey was many people's favorite player on the team by late 2019. He got his crack to take the starting job last year, blew the opportunity, and then transferred out.

And as crazy as this sounds, Gebbia might have also eventually gotten the starting job from Adrian - but he quit, too.

This is another reason in my opinion to show support for Adrian - look at all of the guys who quit on Frost or couldn't get it together (especially looking at Spielman, Washington, Gebbia, & Wan'Dale). Then look at the great attitude Adrian has had in the face of adversity. Guy just keeps showing up and giving it his all.

You got that right! Agree with everything you've said. He shows up bringing the right attitude committed to improving. That's more than half the battle right there. 

Fun Fact:  last year Nebraska was #4 in the Big 10 in total offense, and #2 in rushing offense behind only Ohio State.

You can't put up numbers like that without a good offensive line.

Remember how good we felt about our offensive line and power running game last year? 

That's because stats can be misleading. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We're getting to that Jammal Lord place, where record-setting numbers are part of a one-dimensional offense that loses a lot of games. 

Guess what Jammal Lord's career completion percentage was?    :D

Spoiler

I think he's the only Husker QB to consistently bounce passes off the turf to an open man, or literally throw the ball 5 yards over a guy's head.

This is the bottom line: Frost's special teams and all around undisciplined team are so bad that in order to be an 8-4 team this year, Martinez has to have a "2017 McKenzie Milton" season.

But he's not going to have a 2017 McKenzie Milton season this year.

And it just feels like people are spiting him for it.

38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What is that site?

Adrian is not the problem. He's done all of this with a shoddy offensive line. 

From his bio on Huskers.com:

Adrian Martinez has started every game at quarterback this season. He has completed 60 percent of his passes (33-of-55) for 486 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing 25 times for 144 yards and three scores. Martinez enters the Buffalo game as Nebraska's leading passer and rusher.

Martinez accounted for 343 yards of offense at Illinois, out-gaining the Illini by himself. He threw for 232 yards and one touchdown and posted his fifth career 100-yard rushing game with 111 yards on 17 carries with one score. In the win over Fordham the next week, Martinez accounted for 287 yards of offense in less than three quarters, completing 17-of-23 passes for 254 yards and one touchdown and rushing eight times for 33 yards and two scores.

Entering the Buffalo game, Martinez is one of only three active FBS players with 6,000 career passing yards and 1,500 career rushing yards. He also ranks third among active quarterbacks with 1,920 career rushing yards. Among FBS players with at least 20 career starts, Martinez ranks seventh with an average of 267.8 yards of total offense per game. He also enters the Buffalo game ranked third in school history in passing yards and total offense.

Thank you!

His only real issue is turnovers, he does do that a lot.  That is a problem.

Last year he had the lamest group of WR's in Husker history.  

This year he might have the lamest group of RB's in Husker history

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fun Fact:  last year Nebraska was #4 in the Big 10 in total offense, and #2 in rushing offense behind only Ohio State.

You can't put up numbers like that without a good offensive line.

Remember how good we felt about our offensive line and power running game last year? 

That's because stats can be misleading. 

Here are two plays that show issues with the line and how it affects Martinez.  In my opinion, the best option for the play is the WR in the middle of the field.  However, that's not the first option.  By the time he got to him, a Defender was flushing him out of the pocket.

This play is just one big messed up mess.  The left guard absolutely totally whiffs on his block causing the entire play to be blown up.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here are two plays that show issues with the line and how it affects Martinez.  In my opinion, the best option for the play is the WR in the middle of the field.  However, that's not the first option.  By the time he got to him, a Defender was flushing him out of the pocket.

This play is just one big messed up mess.  The left guard absolutely totally whiffs on his block causing the entire play to be blown up.

The 1st clip he should have just hit the RB right away so he would have been able to maybe make a move and get upfield but 2AM waited too long and let the defender make up ground.  The 2nd Piper looks slow as hell and then just walks around after the guy he wiffed fell down on his own.  69 doubles a guy that doesn't need to he doubled and ingored the end whipping the tackle.  Then the entire OL just walks around. Looked pretty bad

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Ranker is some sort of public-driven vote site, right? That's hardly an objective measure of anything.

We have reached the point where people are trying so hard that they are referencing any site they can find to justify their views. 

I mean ... according to that site, Clete Blakeman is better than Martinez.  Blakeman threw for a total of 625 yards as a career backup.  Obviously Martinez can't hold a candle to that.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And on this clip, guess what's the same as the Illinois play where he gets hit and loses the ball?

Both were 3rd down, and Frost goes empty backfield with five wide. I've said this over and over since the Illinois game...when has this offensive line & Martinez executed empty backfield designed passing plays well?

I think that's on Frost. Adrian should have thrown the ball away - but Scott, stop calling that play on 3rd down. It isn't working for your team, they can't execute it.

35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not here proclaiming 2AM as a great QB. His issues are well known by now, so it's kind of pointless to pretend he's an all-time great.  At times he's pretty good and pretty bad. And we don't know which player we're going to get from snap to snap. 

I can't disagree with that. I still think he might be the best passing dual threat QB we've had.  But I can disagree that he was under duress the entire game against Illinois. 

I actually watched the first half of the Illinois game again before I deleted it. I honestly don't remember thinking "man, what Adrian could do if the OL gave him a little more time." Maybe I'm in the minority there, but it sure looked like some old familiar decision-making issues. And actually I'm not in the minority there. There's almost an entire season for Adrian to prove us wrong. 

What's harder to pinpoint for me is whether the OL is failing to open holes for the running game,  or whether our RBs just aren't that good or dynamic. I'm predicting a breakthrough as the season progresses. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOTs more going wrong on this play. 

The Center is supposed to block the EMLOS? Yeah that's going to work

Left Tackle folds under and doubles with the Right Guard

Im HOPING wires got crossed here- that COULDNT have been the blocking design on this play. 

On the bright side: Frost seems to be going away from his dependance on swing passes, which is what a lot of fans wanted. 

But those swing passes also keep defenses honest and buy time for your other pass plays. We may not love them, but I think they'll return to the mix, probably with Toure.

If an RB wants to distinguish himself, he can start catching outlet passes. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

LOTs more going wrong on this play. 

The Center is supposed to block the EMLOS? Yeah that's going to work

Left Tackle folds under and doubles with the Right Guard

Im HOPING wires got crossed here- that COULDNT have been the blocking design on this play. 

The way I understand it is that this is a run/pass option where he reads the safeties.  If they stay deep, he's supposed to hit a WR.  But, the defender got on him so fast, he couldn't.  The run is him up the middle where the tackle pulled to.  Again, the defender prevented that too.

But, I'm just going off of other people's comments on twitter.

43 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The 1st clip he should have just hit the RB right away so he would have been able to maybe make a move and get upfield but 2AM waited too long and let the defender make up ground.  

Yes, watching the clip and knowing how the play ended up, I would agree.  However, I'm wondering if there is a presnap read that tells him to look at the TE, then back to the WR.  But, he didn't have time to get to the WR.