Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The way I understand it is that this is a run/pass option where he reads the safeties.  If they stay deep, he's supposed to hit a WR.  But, the defender got on him so fast, he couldn't.  The run is him up the middle where the tackle pulled to.  Again, the defender prevented that too.

But, I'm just going off of other people's comments on twitter.

Not so sure about that. The tackle pulled to double the DT over the RG. He would have needed to block one of the 2 LBs. AND the Center is going over the LG to block the EMLOS? I dont think so. 

6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not so sure about that. The tackle pulled to double the DT over the RG. He would have needed to block one of the 2 LBs. AND the Center is going over the LG to block the EMLOS? I dont think so. 

Why would a tackle pull on a pure pass play?  Unless, you are saying the tackle was running the wrong play?

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Why would a tackle pull on a pure pass play?  Unless, you are saying the tackle was running the wrong play?

What Im saying is that entire play is messed up. Yes, it could have been a run pass option and end up being a pass with the tackle pulling. Just not sure why ever you would have a Center try and block the EMLOS on a middle run play where he has to cross over a LG (not behind the LOS) who is already blocking someone. You can have a G type kickout I guess with the C if you are running that way- but not if you have a tackle pulling to the middle. That play was messed up from the start.

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

What Im saying is that entire play is messed up. Yes, it could have been a run pass option and end up being a pass with the tackle pulling. Just not sure why ever you would have a Center try and block the EMLOS on a middle run play where he has to cross over a LG (not behind the LOS) who is already blocking someone. You can have a G type kickout I guess with the C if you are running that way- but not if you have a tackle pulling to the middle. That play was messed up from the start.

There's so much messed up, I didn't even see the center and what he did.  That makes no sense.  It looks like the center, left guard and left tackle had no clue what was going on.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There's so much messed up, I didn't even see the center and what he did.  That makes no sense.  It looks like the center, left guard and left tackle had no clue what was going on.

Exactly- that is what I was stating. I dont think it was a RUPO on that design. You have to block the LB and the puller cant go downfield to really do that if there is a pass option.  A puller could trap or G block to the TE side and it could be a legit RUPO- but not out of what they had lined up on that specific play. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I actually watched the first half of the Illinois game again before I deleted it. I honestly don't remember thinking "man, what Adrian could do if the OL gave him a little more time." Maybe I'm in the minority there, but it sure looked like some old familiar decision-making issues. And actually I'm not in the minority there.

Here's my subjective take on the four biggest things that prevented us from beating Illinois, in order:

1. Adrian coughing up the ball and then having an unlucky bounce to let them recover it and run it in for six points.

2. Tannor's penalty, which negates a key interception.

3. All around garbage special teams play.

4. Poor run blocking and frankly some relatively lackluster running by Ervin that led us to do practically jack squat in our base running game.

One of those things has to do with Adrian's ability to hold onto the football while being tackled. Something that I don't believe a single poster on this board would claim that Adrian hasn't struggled with in his four seasons here.

None of them have to do with his decision making nor his passing ability.

Others will of course have complete license to disagree that the four things on my list above were why the Illini beat us. Adrian overthrowing Liewer by 10 inches in the endzone doesn't even make the list for me because we lost the game by 8 points, but completing that play gives us 4 more points than we scored (as we got a FG on that drive).

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Here's my subjective take on the four biggest things that prevented us from beating Illinois, in order:

1. Adrian coughing up the ball and then having an unlucky bounce to let them recover it and run it in for six points.

4. Poor run blocking and frankly some relatively lackluster running by Ervin that led us to do practically jack squat in our base running game.

One of those things has to do with Adrian's ability to hold onto the football while being tackled. None of them have to do with his decision making nor his passing ability.

Others will of course have complete license to disagree that the four things on my list above were why the Illini beat us. Adrian overthrowing Liewer by 10 inches in the endzone doesn't make the list for me because we lost the game by 8 points, but completing that play gives us 4 more points than we scored (as we got a FG on that drive).

Special teams cost them 4 more points. two on CTB and two on the FGs. That ties the game. I'm not bashing AM, but he threw a bad pass to Stepp I believe on the left side where there was no one in front of him. Most likely a TD, at least another FG on that drive (they didn't score on the drive). That puts the good guys in the lead and changes everyone's opinion of the season.

For the record I still have hope for the season (I'm always optimistic).

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

One of those things has to do with Adrian's ability to hold onto the football while being tackled. Something that I don't believe a single poster on this board would claim that Adrian hasn't struggled with in his four seasons here.

None of them have to do with his decision making nor his passing ability.

Others will of course have complete license to disagree that the four things on my list above were why the Illini beat us. Adrian overthrowing Liewer by 10 inches in the endzone doesn't even make the list for me because we lost the game by 8 points, but completing that play gives us 4 more points than we scored (as we got a FG on that drive).

I think the consensus is that if you add it up, you have an entire team that wasn't mentally or strategically prepared for the first game of the season, and didn't make the necessary adjustments in-game. 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think there's any way around the first possession of the second half. Nebraska went in the locker room to lick its self-inflicted wounds and re-strategize. They came out and let Illinois' second-string QB march the length of the field, score a touchdown, burn 8 and a half minutes off the clock, and put our offense in a 14 point hole that they didn't respond to, allowing Illinois to create a 21 point hole when the defense didn't step up, either. 

Offense. Defense. Special teams. Coaching. I don't understand why we're still pointing to individual plays and players on this one.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think there's any way around the first possession of the second half. Nebraska went in the locker room to lick its self-inflicted wounds and re-strategize. They came out and let Illinois' second-string QB march the length of the field, score a touchdown, burn 8 and a half minutes off the clock, and put our offense in a 14 point hole that they didn't respond to, allowing Illinois to create a 21 point hole when the defense didn't step up, either. 

Offense. Defense. Special teams. Coaching. I don't understand why we're still pointing to individual plays and players on this one.

Because if you take out one of the steps you listed or the earlier self-inflicted ones you mentioned, that would change how the rest plays out. Obviously we don't know exactly how it would have gone, but I don't think it's crazy to assume it would have gone very differently if you take out the roughing the passer at least. It can't change the outcome at this point, but I think it explains why some of us are still hopeful - they were a lot of very fixable things. Now believing they will get fixed in year 4 when they've been around for a long time is another leap entirely. But I don't think it's fair to say everything is broken, nothing works at all and it's hopeless. I get the feeling though.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, watching the clip and knowing how the play ended up, I would agree.  However, I'm wondering if there is a presnap read that tells him to look at the TE, then back to the WR.  But, he didn't have time to get to the WR.

If he didn't have to leave the pocket he should have hit Manning.  Once he had to roll out he would have had to turn the other way and throw.  At that point Manning was too far to the middle of the field.  

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't understand why we're still pointing to individual plays and players on this one.

I guess because this thread is about Adrian Martinez, and it seems to me there are a lot of people in this thread (not necessarily you at all) that seem to believe Adrian is the biggest detriment to this team's success.

I disagree with that sentiment. 

• Plus1 2