Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Because if you take out one of the steps you listed or the earlier self-inflicted ones you mentioned, that would change how the rest plays out. Obviously we don't know exactly how it would have gone, but I don't think it's crazy to assume it would have gone very differently if you take out the roughing the passer at least. It can't change the outcome at this point, but I think it explains why some of us are still hopeful - they were a lot of very fixable things. Now believing they will get fixed in year 4 when they've been around for a long time is another leap entirely. But I don't think it's fair to say everything is broken, nothing works at all and it's hopeless. I get the feeling though.

Never said it was hopeless, but if you think the team was a roughing the passer penalty away from a better outcome, you're shifting the blame from the many things a good team does that Nebraska didn't. The game really wasn't that close, and bad second halves are an ongoing problem.

Why would you take away self-inflicted wounds to assess how close we are? Self-inflicted wounds are the problem. 

Of course all the issues are fixable, and it's hard to imagine they won't get better. But were getting into some serious revisionist history if we're pretending the Illinois game wasn't an across the board disappointment to start Scott Frost's fourth season -- a season where we figured these things were getting fixed.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

I guess because this thread is about Adrian Martinez, and it seems to me there are a lot of people in this thread (not necessarily you at all) that seem to believe Adrian is the biggest detriment to this team's success.

I disagree with that sentiment. 

He isnt, he is one of the factors. I for one was expecting a QB much further along in his development in year 4 under the tutelage of the QB whisperer. 

There are some football coaching structural issues that are leading to the poorly disciplined, sloppy and mentally soft play of this team that have WAY more to do with this team losing than AM> 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

He isnt, he is one of the factors. I for one was expecting a QB much further along in his development in year 4 under the tutelage of the QB whisperer. 

There are some football coaching structural issues that are leading to the poorly disciplined, sloppy and mentally soft play of this team that have WAY more to do with this team losing than AM> 

GuQt.gif

I feel like we're making great strides here, '55.

34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Never said it was hopeless, but if you think the team was a roughing the passer penalty away from a better outcome, you're shifting the blame from the many things a good team does that Nebraska didn't. The game really wasn't that close, and bad second halves are an ongoing problem.

Why would you take away self-inflicted wounds to assess how close we are? Self-inflicted wounds are the problem. 

Of course all the issues are fixable, and it's hard to imagine they won't get better. But were getting into some serious revisionist history if we're pretending the Illinois game wasn't an across the board disappointment to start Scott Frost's fourth season -- a season where we figured these things were getting fixed.  

Tannor's penalty was because he actually got to the quarterback.

.....which was an issue that needed fixed.

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Sorry man but that is just an objectively inaccurate take. He put his helmet into the numbers of the QB and then gave him the business. Two penalties, also - both on him for the same play.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Remember all the QB sacks Nebraska got after the first quarter, when Illinois made an adjustment? And Nebraska didn't?  Suggesting......not fixed yet? 

I'm all for moving forward, but remain mystified how some people are choosing to remember the Illinois/Nebraska game.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, knapplc said:

What is that site?

Adrian is not the problem. He's done all of this with a shoddy offensive line. 

From his bio on Huskers.com:

Adrian Martinez has started every game at quarterback this season. He has completed 60 percent of his passes (33-of-55) for 486 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing 25 times for 144 yards and three scores. Martinez enters the Buffalo game as Nebraska's leading passer and rusher.

Martinez accounted for 343 yards of offense at Illinois, out-gaining the Illini by himself. He threw for 232 yards and one touchdown and posted his fifth career 100-yard rushing game with 111 yards on 17 carries with one score. In the win over Fordham the next week, Martinez accounted for 287 yards of offense in less than three quarters, completing 17-of-23 passes for 254 yards and one touchdown and rushing eight times for 33 yards and two scores.

Entering the Buffalo game, Martinez is one of only three active FBS players with 6,000 career passing yards and 1,500 career rushing yards. He also ranks third among active quarterbacks with 1,920 career rushing yards. Among FBS players with at least 20 career starts, Martinez ranks seventh with an average of 267.8 yards of total offense per game. He also enters the Buffalo game ranked third in school history in passing yards and total offense.

You could rush for 10,000 yards and pass for 10,000 more in a season, but if you only win a couple games, very few people will care except the Heisman voters. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

What's harder to pinpoint for me is whether the OL is failing to open holes for the running game,  or whether our RBs just aren't that good or dynamic. I'm predicting a breakthrough as the season progresses. 

It's a little of A and a little of B. We've run a ton of outside zone this year and that means the RB needs to have good vision and find cutback lanes. Though Stepp is the better all around back he's not great at finding the cut back lanes, it's probably his biggest weakness.

Inside zone  is when it's critical that the OL is communicating and sliding off their double teams and getting to the second level to block LBs. Something they've been very poor at under Austin, but they seem to be better at running inside zone than outside...

Then there's pass pro... It was awful against Illinois. No two ways about it.

Just watch Oregon under Chip Kelly (we run the exact same schemes) then watch us. It's night and day how bad we are blocking.

• Plus1 2