Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree and never said otherwise.  But the question is still valid.  Why can he put up all these stats all game but the final 4 minutes of each half approximately?  

He's also getting sacked, throwing incomplete, and stalling out on drives during the game. So it's not an anomaly that it happens again on the final drive.

I've really liked Adrian's play lately, but that doesn't mean we've had him all wrong. He had a bad Illinois game in ways that can't be blamed on others, and a real scattershot couple of years before that. 

I think he could do much better with a better supporting cast (who couldn't?) but I don't think Martinez will sniff the NFL. This is his moment and I want to see him finish strong. He has every DCs attention now, and he's earned that. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, ZRod said:

He's also getting sacked, throwing incomplete, and stalling out on drives during the game. So it's not an anomaly that it happens again on the final drive.

That is true and I don’t think anyone has denied that as far as I am aware.  When the game is in its final minutes and the game is in doubt, you want your best players playing their best and making plays, that hasn’t happened the last couple years as notes by a few charts posted by others.  The OLine certainly hamstrings AM, but AM also finds a way as you said at other points in the game.   The only consistent is that he very early if ever does it at the end of a game and that is a tremendous area of opportunity for him personally and the team. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've really liked Adrian's play lately, but that doesn't mean we've had him all wrong. He had a bad Illinois game in ways that can't be blamed on others, and a real scattershot couple of years before that. 

I think he could do much better with a better supporting cast (who couldn't?) but I don't think Martinez will sniff the NFL. This is his moment and I want to see him finish strong. He has every DCs attention now, and he's earned that. 

Regardless of his NFL potential, he still retains the option of coming back to Dear Ol' Nebraska U for another season...

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He'll be in the NFL for at least a year, maybe practice squad but he's the new prototype QB (can throw and run). See Lamar, Mahomes, Tua, Hurts, Murray, Mayfield, etc. The league wants mobile QBs, and somebody needs to simulate them in practice.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

That is true and I don’t think anyone has denied that as far as I am aware.  When the game is in its final minutes and the game is in doubt, you want your best players playing their best and making plays, that hasn’t happened the last couple years as notes by a few charts posted by others.  The OLine certainly hamstrings AM, but AM also finds a way as you said at other points in the game.   The only consistent is that he very early if ever does it at the end of a game and that is a tremendous area of opportunity for him personally and the team. 

Sure Adrian can do better but we need so much more from the line (RBs really stepped up their game last time out and WRs are a huge upgrade this year). But look at Tom Brady and then look at Matt Stafford with the Lions. Stafford maybe the comeback king, but he never won a game that mattered (post season) and his O lines were terrible. He played with Megatron, Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, Older AP, Amendola, Golladay; it's not like he didn't have talented guys at skill positions. Brady always had a fantastic line when they made a deep playoff run.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:21 PM, BoSolich said:

he kept us in the game but also lost us the game. fumble in the 4th. misses wide open receiver in overtime. throws interception.

Hate to say it because he's such a great kid and does plenty of good things on the field but dude is undeniably at his worst when the game is on the line. One more reason I think Mario should have been replaced, maybe another coach helps AM through that. 

10 hours ago, Danimal said:

Hate to say it because he's such a great kid and does plenty of good things on the field but dude is undeniably at his worst when the game is on the line. One more reason I think Mario should have been replaced, maybe another coach helps AM through that. 

But the game was on the line when it was 13-13 in the middle of the fourth and he led a good drive down the field that involved passing plays, right?

The bad plays always wind up sticking out most to fans after a loss. But even when you win games your QB often has several bad plays in that game.

Thorne's interception in the first quarter was embarrassing; it was a throw no QB should ever make. Their team wound up winning not because of Thorne leading them from behind but because our punter kicked the ball 35 yards off target. Then in overtime they ran wildcat to get inside the 10. Does Thorne get the pat on the back for being a great QB in that game?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1