220 yards rushing per game but passing....

uberism

If you want to know why Nebraska is 1-4 instead of 4-1, you don't have to look any further than two stats:

No QB has 500 yards passing on the season and only 1 RB has over 100 yards rushing. But here is the interesting thing, the team averages 220 yards rushing per game, which puts Nebraska in 3rd place for rushing yards per game in the Big Ten going into the games tomorrow. Thus, it's not the total rushing yard production that is the issue, it's all about the passing game. 

So, is Nebraska far away from being a 4-1 program? Hell no. They are actually pretty damn close. They just need to get the passing game going. With Martin coming along, Betts getting the starting role now, and Brown starting to get more snaps, the passing game should start to come into place. 

If Nebraska can get a passing game going in the next two games, they could go 2-0. They aren't going to have any issue running the ball against Purdue and Minnesota. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I'm sure plenty disagree with me, but there are a lot of things about this team that show how close they are to changing their fortunes. When Frost says they are close to turning a corner I really think he's right. However, obviously they have to finally turn the corner and that is yet to be seen. This team isn't as far away from being good as some think though. 

Our entire offense is either QB runs/scrambles or Wan’dale.  That’s not a team oh so close to turning the corner....That’s a team with no scheme or one that the coaches don’t trust the players, or the players don’t trust each other.....It’s indicative of a lot of things.  Being close to a finished product is not one of them....Take away the broken plays and our O is even more one dimensional.  

3 hours ago, uberism said:

If you want to know why Nebraska is 1-4 instead of 4-1, you don't have to look any further than two stats:

No QB has 500 yards passing on the season and only 1 RB has over 100 yards rushing. But here is the interesting thing, the team averages 220 yards rushing per game, which puts Nebraska in 3rd place for rushing yards per game in the Big Ten going into the games tomorrow. Thus, it's not the total rushing yard production that is the issue, it's all about the passing game. 

So, is Nebraska far away from being a 4-1 program? Hell no. They are actually pretty damn close. They just need to get the passing game going. With Martin coming along, Betts getting the starting role now, and Brown starting to get more snaps, the passing game should start to come into place. 

If Nebraska can get a passing game going in the next two games, they could go 2-0. They aren't going to have any issue running the ball against Purdue and Minnesota. 

Injuries and musical chairs at QB have as much to do with the season totals as anything.

I think we ran into some bad timing that got us out-thinking ourselves.  Martinez didn't play well against Northwestern but in hind-sight we actually did pretty well on offense - they're just a lot better on defense than we knew at the time.  When Luke went in he had success moving the ball (even though we didn't score) so Frost kind of thought we had to give him a shot.  Even though Luke didn't play that well against Penn State we won so everyone was pretty high on him.  So he got to try to slog though a terrible performance against Illinois and we looked terrible.  Once we finally got back to Martinez we've been better but we wasted most of three games getting back to where we should have been all along.

Probably a stretch to say we're really close to 4-1.  But we've out-gained two of the teams we've lost to - and had a chance to win both on the final possession.  So 3-2 is definitely not out of the question.  And we lost to one the worst team we've played so far.  That - to me - seems like just a completely out-of-sync game - like Minnesota was last year - for whatever reason.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, lo country said:

Our entire offense is either QB runs/scrambles or Wan’dale.  That’s not a team oh so close to turning the corner....That’s a team with no scheme or one that the coaches don’t trust the players, or the players don’t trust each other.....It’s indicative of a lot of things.  Being close to a finished product is not one of them....Take away the broken plays and our O is even more one dimensional.  

This is exactly what the offense is.  I’d also throw in field position from defensive turnovers and opponents penalties as other key factors in the Nebraska offense.

They can’t do anything consistently and gain chunks in “sandlot” plays.  It’s bad.  I still believe that QB with a decent arm could turn this offense around but after this year who really knows.