Frost has to fire friends.. ( not Chins )....

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So you're trying to argue that Iowa's average yards per game is actually less than what Iowa averages per game?

That's an interesting argument to make.

The argument is that NU should be able to shut Iowa down.  This is a very down year for Iowa offensively. If Chin is your guy, he’s your guy. I think NU could do better. 

14 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

The argument is that NU should be able to shut Iowa down.  This is a very down year for Iowa offensively. If Chin is your guy, he’s your guy. I think NU could do better. 

That's a funny argument when they are rushing for 35 more yards per game and scoring 6 more points per over last year.  9th in scoring offense last year and 4th this year.

2019:

Screenshot_20201128-205452_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8beefc1ed9c450d467ecf9250d709075.jpg

2020:

Screenshot_20201128-205509_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ca6e834b6f5eeeb0a2ac8c4cd301259.jpg

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Pocket falls apart qb doesnt get the time he needs on his reads or a hole to be made.  Its in the lines, its always been the lines.  Its been the lines for 10 f#&%ing years yet here we are asking what the problem is again.  Its the lines, its the lines, its the lines.  Fix the lines you fix half the problems.  That will allow us to win more than 4 games per year which will allow us to keep the people frost recruits because we dont look like f#&%ing jokes on saturdays thereby giving them the opportunity to be able to play on sundays one day which will make other people see that and then recruiting gets better you win more games yada yada yada

I don’t disagree with how important the lines are, but if you don’t fix the most important position in sports then everything else is just moot.  The team can win 7-9 games with great lines, but this style of offense is dependent on a star quarterback.  The QB needs to play at a top 10-15 QB in the country in order to effectively get the offense moving and be a contender for conference championships.  

otherwise change the offense to an I formation and dominate line of scrimmage with a game manager at QB.  That can work too as shown by Wisconsin. 

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That's a funny argument when they are rushing for 35 more yards per game and scoring 6 more points per over last year.  9th in scoring offense last year and 4th this year.

2019:

Screenshot_20201128-205452_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8beefc1ed9c450d467ecf9250d709075.jpg

2020:

Screenshot_20201128-205509_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ca6e834b6f5eeeb0a2ac8c4cd301259.jpg

Their YPG is essentially the exact same from  2019 to 2020 and they would be tied for 6th is scoring if their 2020 output was ranked in the 2019 year.  They have managed to put a few more points on the board with the same yards per game so it could be based of a better turnover and penalty profile more so than anything else.  Or possibly better in the red zone at scoring TD’s this year than last. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t disagree with how important the lines are, but if you don’t fix the most important position in sports then everything else is just moot.  The team can win 7-9 games with great lines, but this style of offense is dependent on a star quarterback.  The QB needs to play at a top 10-15 QB in the country in order to effectively get the offense moving and be a contender for conference championships.  

otherwise change the offense to an I formation and dominate line of scrimmage with a game manager at QB.  That can work too as shown by Wisconsin. 

I guess my point is your not going to attract that type of talent unless you start winning.  The way to win is through the lines.  I have no doubt frost can recruit but no one is going to come here if the QBs are sacrificial lambs left out to die when the ball is hiked.

2 hours ago, KCBuc said:

Why "should" NU be able to shut Iowa down?  Many people have said we can't possibly stop the run in a 3-4.

19 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

We cant keep firing head coaches after 3-4 seasons. Frost needs his 7 Moos offered him, but we can dream as fans about better assistant coaches. 

I agree, but that was essentially the intent of my question. More below.

16 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Go look up 2017 and refresh your memory on that season cause clearly it’s slipped your mind. Look at those blow outs to Iowa and Minnesota and Wisconsin. Barely beat ark state and losing to niu. If you don’t think there’s clear progress from when he started you’re wrong

You're reading more into the question than necessary. I'm not positioning for Frost to lose his job. My point was that Frost was hired to complete a task, yet some people (similar to OP) think firing anywhere from ~20-33% of his coaching staff is the answer to the problem. If some people think that's the answer, then perhaps the head coach is deserving of more than a hall pass.

I don't think firing several assistants is the answer, hence why I ask the question.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, Enhance said:

I'll pose the same question I did last week when the "fire the coordinators" discussion surfaced.

What has Frost accomplished to warrant job security while having to fire two or more assistant coaches?

He accomplished getting an extension with a large buyout.  The buyout warrants job security for him this year and next. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Just so I completely understand here, being ranked 12th in the conference and 103rd in the country giving up 204 yards a game is stopping the run.  Got ya.

Penn State is ranked fourth in total yards per game in the conference while Ohio State is at seventh in the conference... Penn State is 1-5 and Ohio State is 4-0. I wouldn't get yourself wrapped up in rankings as they can be misleading. 

The bigger issue we are continuing to face is an offense that is not firing on all cylinders consistently. If you're expecting our defense to be pitching shutouts, I'm sorry to disappoint you but that is not going to happen with our current system. If we are hoping to hold teams under 10-15 points a game, we're going to need to change our offensive system and become a ball control, time of possession-focused program. Since that is not currently the direction we're heading, the offense needs to start putting up at least 30-35 points a game.

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2020 at 10:00 PM, runningblind said:

2019:

2020:

Keep pushing that tenth rated rushing O. Chin’s your guy. Good luck with that. $$ on the other team.