IMO, the biggest challenge from a unit perspective is building the WR room

uberism

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Lightfighter214 I think Martinez is reasonably capable of throwing the deep ball, it's more that they don't trust the receivers. Luke on the other hand, I don't wanna see him throwing it deep.

Martinez can throw the ball, but usually the coach of the modern game dials up some razzle dazzle in different areas of the field so as not to telegraph exactly which plays will be called when certain personnel are on the field. Martinez is afraid to throw the ball because of the stupidity of the coaching.

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Martinez can throw the ball, but usually the coach of the modern game dials up some razzle dazzle in different areas of the field so as not to telegraph exactly which plays will be called when certain personnel are on the field. Martinez is afraid to throw the ball because of the stupidity of the coaching.

Martinez has the experience that should warrant being able to push the ball down field but the problem is the numbers usually catch up with him regarding turnovers or just simply missing receivers/inaccuracy all together.  He played decently against Iowa but same results (L) as usual and after watching him for 3 years you know his tendencies by now.

I have felt all along that our passing 'system' has been amiss but couple that with really bad OL play definitely NOT the season to try to break in a new inexperienced QB let alone hoping a 3 year veteran like Martinez is going to be able to get anything going.

OL issues, coaching/play calling issues, QB issues and inexperience at WR have in the end all made it even harder for someone to actually be able to step up at WR as well as QB.  

We need to keep seeing what Fleming can do for this offense if he is even still going to be part of the team going forward and also with all the speed the Betts gives you I would have thought by now he would have gotten going a little by now also.  

Not the case.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Martinez has the experience that should warrant being able to push the ball down field but the problem is the numbers usually catch up with him regarding turnovers or just simply missing receivers/inaccuracy all together.  He played decently against Iowa but same results (L) as usual and after watching him for 3 years you know his tendencies by now.

I have felt all along that our passing 'system' has been amiss but couple that with really bad OL play definitely NOT the season to try to break in a new inexperienced QB let alone hoping a 3 year veteran like Martinez is going to be able to get anything going.

OL issues, coaching/play calling issues, QB issues and inexperience at WR have in the end all made it even harder for someone to actually be able to step up at WR as well as QB.  

We need to keep seeing what Fleming can do for this offense if he is even still going to be part of the team going forward and also with all the speed the Betts gives you I would have thought by now he would have gotten going a little by now also.  

Not the case.

I think Martinez excels at the game Frost claims to want to play but rarely does. Four talented guys going misdirection leaves receivers open and gives AM time to roll out and find them, but Frost for whatever reason or conspiracy theory insists on standing him in the pocket while some tub of blubber whiffs on his block. AM is not the greatest but neither is he as bad as Frost makes him look. McCaffrey with his speed and elusiveness also belongs in the mix of all this misdirection as a slot receiver/ wingback. This is the best we have right now, so let's do what we're successful at and quit changing it.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Yep.  It was so obvious to Iowa what was going to happen that Martinez only completed 90% of his passes.  Should have been much higher.

• Plus1 3