What if...

funhusker

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm sorry JJ, but we're not that program anymore. We haven't been for almost 10 years. 

I don't think we have been that program for 20 years. My point is with our resources, facilities and desire, there is absolutely no reason we could not control the west. The fact we haven't been and aren't is why people are so frustrated.

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Northwestern and Iowa are not mediocre teams.  They always play the game they want to play and most times it works out because they know their identity and don't beat themselves.  No one is saying it's delusional to expect to beat mediocre teams, but our team is below average and one cannot expect a team with no identity and a problem with aiming at their feet to come in and win any game, despite how mediocre that team might appear. 

It's a sad state of affairs and trust me, I level with your frustration.  These games are so predictable and boring that it's hard to justify the time and money to keep supporting this program.  Unfortunately, like you, I still cling to the past and hope for a day where this program returns to glory.  I'm doubtful it will anytime soon and I think middle of the pack mediocrity is now our future.

I haven't been expecting to dominate the west for quite awhile. I just see no earthly reason we couldn't and shouldn't get there. Yes, Northwestern and Iowa, compared to us right now, are not mediocre per se. They are everything we aren't, tough, consistent, good defense, strong, disciplined.... But in the landscape of CFB they are mediocre. It's a huge opportunity we have failed to seize upon.

17 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

We should always beat teams like Illinois, Northwestern and Iowa. Always. They are not great teams, this year or any year. The fact we have struggled with teams like that says way more about where we're at than it does them. There is a reason Nebraska is looking to finish at or near the bottom of the B1G West and it's not the competition.

I hear what you are saying.  But: The bold: This is apart of the entitlement attitude that I think has affected us from every level - from the fans(ME INCLUDED :koolaid2:), the players, the coaches, the AD, the admin.    Who says we should.  Should is no longer valid until we actually do it on the field...consistently.  It does reflect where we are as a team and where we've been since the consistent 4 loss only Bo teams.   Perhaps we could say:  With all of our resources, tradition, name recognition we COULD beat all of those teams if coaches developed players properly, coached well during the games and the players executed properly.  But we haven't done any of those things consistently so we WON'T beat those teams consistently. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

We should always beat teams like Illinois, Northwestern and Iowa. Always. They are not great teams, this year or any year. The fact we have struggled with teams like that says way more about where we're at than it does them. There is a reason Nebraska is looking to finish at or near the bottom of the B1G West and it's not the competition.

Eh, I'm going to have to disagree as well.  At least with Northwestern and Iowa.  They've beaten Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State enough that it's not like it would be a huge embarrassment to lose to them.  Should be be competitive and win our share?  Yes.  Should we "always" beat them?  That's a bit much.

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I'm going to have to disagree as well.  At least with Northwestern and Iowa.  They've beaten Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State enough that it's not like it would be a huge embarrassment to lose to them.  Should be be competitive and win our share?  Yes.  Should we "always" beat them?  That's a bit much.

“Always” was a stretch but my larger point is those programs really are nothing special. They play hard nosed disciplined football, which is respectable and yes it wouldn’t be embarrassing to drop one to them once in awhile. Hell even Mizzou, K State, Iowa St, Okie St would give us a game once in awhile back in the day. Considering all we would have to do is not kill ourselves with undisciplined penalties and turnovers, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we “should” be able to beat teams like that more often than not. That is not entitlement speaking it’s just acknowledging what not totally sh#ting the bed would yield for Nebraska. I realize we are not that team anymore or right now but Christ almighty, they are just not that great.....except compared to us currently. I will never accept performance like we’ve displayed for the last 7 years. Never. If that means I’m entitled then so be it.

• Fire 1
17 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The B1G West is more difficult than the entire Pac-12.

We couldn't beat Pac-12 bottom dweller Colorado two years running. The conference also has USC, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State and Utah, and I can't imagine we'd be favored in any of those games. Maybe we'd be a push against Arizona State, Cal or UCLA this year. I think Oregon State could take us. 

In 2019 the Big 10 was 1—5 vs. the Pac 12.  Pac 12 wins the head to head battle every year. 

I think we take a little too much comfort that the Big 10 is  a tougher conference, or plays a different brand of football that vexes newbie coaches. 

On 11/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, funhusker said:

Nebraska were to pull out wins against Purdue and Minnesota.  Then get a crossover against another "beatable" team like Rutgers or Maryland and finish regular season at 4-4.

Hold on, there's more!!!

Nebraska then gets invited to a mid-tier bowl against a "beatable" MAC team.

What if Nebraska ends up 5-4 this season?  What would be everyone's thoughts going into Spring Ball?

"And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad
So I had one more for dessert" - Lyrics by Kris Kristofferson, sung by Johnny Cash

That would be great, still highly unacceptable.

13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We couldn't beat Pac-12 bottom dweller Colorado two years running. The conference also has USC, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State and Utah, and I can't imagine we'd be favored in any of those games. Maybe we'd be a push against Arizona State, Cal or UCLA this year. I think Oregon State could take us. 

In 2019 the Big 10 was 1—5 vs. the Pac 12.  Pac 12 wins the head to head battle every year. 

I think we take a little too much comfort that the Big 10 is  a tougher conference, or plays a different brand of football that vexes newbie coaches. 

I'd take Wisconsin and Northwestern over every team in that conference.