Transfer Portal Help

With so many kids these days entering the portal- there are lots of very talented high caliber players that go back on the market. We have seen many programs reap the benefits so far- notably Ohio State, Oklahoma and LSU have had great success with QB’s. 

I am curious to hear from some on the board who have good inside connections to the program. Does Frost and staff take a hard look at these kids? Do we reach out to gauge interest? Or have we not put much effort into it so far? 

It seems like a possible good way to get some good talent you could not win coming out of high school. Perhaps if Luke doesn’t develop into what we hope and if Smothers is not what we hope for- maybe trying to do what the sooners, buckeyes and tigers have done could help us as well? 

It would be nice to bring in some 4 and 5 star talent from the portal to replace the ones leaving. I understand the argument that you could just recruit a high school kid. But a transfer may be more physically ready to play and we only get 5-10 4 stars a class in high school so they are not that easy to replace. 

Just my opinion 

The problem with transfers is that for every Justin Fields, there's four Tate Martells. More often than not, they're guys who just plain couldn't cut it, rather than diamonds who got stuck behind another diamond on the depth chart. And the ones who really are diamonds usually don't end up at places like Nebraska.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

The problem with transfers is that for every Justin Fields, there's four Tate Martells. More often than not, they're guys who just plain couldn't cut it, rather than diamonds who got stuck behind another diamond on the depth chart. And the ones who really are diamonds usually don't end up at places like Nebraska.

I think you will see more kids contribute than years past. To keep it simple just look at semi recent transfers from Nebraska who have wound up contributing to other teams. Vedral at Rutgers, Gebbia at Oregon state, Roberts at Oregon state, spielman at tcu- hard to judge his impact due to injury, Aaron green did real well at tcu, bell is at like San Diego state. 

Oliver Martin has come in and is looking to provide depth at least. It’s probably fair to say we could have had burrow and he would have done well. 

I think it does not replace solid high school recruiting but I think you should view it above JUCO recruiting. They may not be bad kids- just looking for a fresh chance to play. I think if you vet them and if they worked hard, went to class, got grades why not. It’s better than JUCO kids who typically have accountability issues 

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think you will see more kids contribute than years past. To keep it simple just look at semi recent transfers from Nebraska who have wound up contributing to other teams. Vedral at Rutgers, Gebbia at Oregon state, Roberts at Oregon state, spielman at tcu- hard to judge his impact due to injury, Aaron green did real well at tcu, bell is at like San Diego state. 

Oliver Martin has come in and is looking to provide depth at least. It’s probably fair to say we could have had burrow and he would have done well. 

I think it does not replace solid high school recruiting but I think you should view it above JUCO recruiting. They may not be bad kids- just looking for a fresh chance to play. I think if you vet them and if they worked hard, went to class, got grades why not. It’s better than JUCO kids who typically have accountability issues 

How many more have transferred just from Nebraska and not done a thing?  I view it as very similar to JUCO. You might find a couple but it's not the answer. There are reasons kids are in the portal or at JUCO. If we want to fix the culture,  which I don't even know what that means anymore, it won't be through the portal.

According  to this more than half of transfers never even land in the same level of football again.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-transfer-portal-2020-numbers-stats-purgatory-147042840/

• Plus1 6

I think there's a chance we can get guys who realized they should've come here and where they are is not what it was cracked up to be, just like the guys leaving here. Losing Vedral was bad for us, it shouldn't have happened. I know he wasn't lighting up the field, but when a guy from Wahoo transfers to the other side of the country because he got passed up by a freshman with one year of high school at QB and not much of an arm, you have to wonder what kind of screwed up priorities we have. Was it because the fans took a poll and decided he was no good? 
I'd be looking for midwestern guys who went to a party school or tropical paradise and are uncomfortable with the culture they found themselves in, or maybe just something as simple as wanting to be closer to home because of the screwed up mess created by covid1984.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Agree with the first

disagree with the second. At least in theory. The sample size is not large enough to draw that conclusion 

Does Oregon State think Gebbia was a portal assets. Does Rutgers think Vedral is an asset? How about from the point of view of Gebbia and Vedral? It’s hard to evaluate top ten team the same as the rest. The situations and talent is too different. 

5 hours ago, Toe said:

And those 4 and 5 star portal transfer are likely looking for a better program than Nebraska to transfer to. Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Tate Martell....they aren't looking to come to Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I think there's a chance we can get guys who realized they should've come here and where they are is not what it was cracked up to be, just like the guys leaving here. Losing Vedral was bad for us, it shouldn't have happened. I know he wasn't lighting up the field, but when a guy from Wahoo transfers to the other side of the country because he got passed up by a freshman with one year of high school at QB and not much of an arm, you have to wonder what kind of screwed up priorities we have. Was it because the fans took a poll and decided he was no good? 
I'd be looking for midwestern guys who went to a party school or tropical paradise and are uncomfortable with the culture they found themselves in, or maybe just something as simple as wanting to be closer to home because of the screwed up mess created by covid1984.

Vedral was never going to be the answer here.  Great kid but not the level we need to run our offense.  He can't even hold the starting job at Rutgers.

• Plus1 1

Are grad transfers the same as Portal guys? I think it’s different? 

I’d rather look for grad transfers w a year to play then “diamonds” in the rough. 

we have guys transfer a lot lol....we should pin a thread where we keep track of them and see how it all panned  out for them over the next 3-4 yrs. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, I am I said:

Are grad transfers the same as Portal guys? I think it’s different? 

I’d rather look for grad transfers w a year to play then “diamonds” in the rough. 

we have guys transfer a lot lol....we should pin a thread where we keep track of them and see how it all panned  out for them over the next 3-4 yrs. 

I think any player that is looking to transfer has to put their name in the portal. That allows other schools to know of a players intention to transfer and allows them to nake contact.

The portal as a whole is overrated. Sure there are some great players that go into the portal like Burrow (was not great first year at LSU) and the like, but as a whole kids that go into the portal end up at schools lower than the level they left. 

Look at the freshman DB's that left from the the last class - FAU to be a DB (was recruited as a linebacker), UCF, one I am not sure on, and the other one that just left doesn't even have new coaches following him on Twitter from any respectable school. 

In most cases players that are legit will use up their time at the school they registered for with their first classes and then go to the NFL. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Vedral was never going to be the answer here.  Great kid but not the level we need to run our offense.  He can't even hold the starting job at Rutgers.

But he gets playing time and that is part of his life experience. 

I think people are missing the reason for the portal. It’s not for LSU to get a Burrow, it’s for Burrow to find LSU or anywhere else he can compete for a job. I actually think it punishes(not right word) successful programs from stock piling and burying recruits. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

But he gets playing time and that is part of his life experience. 

I think people are missing the reason for the portal. It’s not for LSU to get a Burrow, it’s for Burrow to find LSU or anywhere else he can compete for a job. I actually think it punishes(not right word) successful programs from stock piling and burying recruits. 

most kids who CAN play, will... at some point or other at the school they got recruited by. May take 1 or 3 yrs.

it’s called development, or used to be called that. 

now, with the damn “portal” it’s...”I’m not playing or happy so I’ll just leave”. Which is actually great for the kid sometimes. But imagine if a player who is a solid 3 or low 4 star player sticks it out for the extra year it takes them to develop and really shines for 2 years maybe 3. 

not NFL type talent, but really makes a name for themselves at their first school. 
we always talk about consistency in coaching staff but what about a kid leaving and having to re-emerge into another program? That didn’t recruit them or want to invest in them from the get go? 
I think most portal players would fair better if they stick it out. Most, not all. I can give literally a dozen examples of guys who left D1 programs cuz they weren’t getting what  they wanted and ended up at my D2 school (some did very well). Most of those guys talked about  that they still thought they were going pro, got a bad shake, were better than they thought, Pissed at the world cuz they didn’t get a good look D1 etc etc. 
They finished strong at D2 and always felt robbed. Whereas, if they stayed D1 they woulda def seen a lot of time there, playing in front of 50-80k and many more perks, bowl games, tv...better overall experience, but it woulda taken 1-1.5 more years. 

most guys are NOT going pro, that’s the thing that gets me. Know your lane and have the best experience you can in it. Instead of transferring and most often setting yourself back. 

and don’t forget, coaching circles are very small and very tight knit. You don’t think the team that picks up Delancey is going to call Frost? He may speak well of him, but he’s gonna give em the context of his situation as well. Grass isn’t always greener is what I’m saying I guess.