Transfer Portal Help

11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

But he gets playing time and that is part of his life experience. 

I think people are missing the reason for the portal. It’s not for LSU to get a Burrow, it’s for Burrow to find LSU or anywhere else he can compete for a job. I actually think it punishes(not right word) successful programs from stock piling and burying recruits. 

It does take a bit away from the top programs but it also helps them fill in any missing pieces too. It's more of a crap shoot when you get beyond the elite teams. Struggling teams like Nebraska is right now probably also get hurt by it because it gives players an easy out. Seems so many we have lost to the portal left very prematurely. It's one thing to say it prevents stockpiling and getting buried on the depth chart but what about these first year kids? 

IMO it really plays hell with a team's ability to build and manage the roster. I hate to be the old "get off my lawn" curmudgeon but CFB and players seemed to be doing okay before the portal. I hate the transfer portal and really think it has damaged the game. It is undermining the team first, student athlete ideals that made CFB so much better than the NFL. There is no loyalty left in the game and that really ruins it for me.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

It does take a bit away from the top programs but it also helps them fill in any missing pieces too. It's more of a crap shoot when you get beyond the elite teams. Struggling teams like Nebraska is right now probably also get hurt by it because it gives players an easy out. Seems so many we have lost to the portal left very prematurely. It's one thing to say it prevents stockpiling and getting buried on the depth chart but what about these first year kids? 

IMO it really plays hell with a team's ability to build and manage the roster. I hate to be the old "get off my lawn" curmudgeon but CFB and players seemed to be doing okay before the portal. I hate the transfer portal and really think it has damaged the game. It is undermining the team first, student athlete ideals that made CFB so much better than the NFL. There is no loyalty left in the game and that really ruins it for me.

I don't disagree with anything that you have said.  It also sux that a lot of waivers are granted so there isn't really any penalty to pop smoke.  As you mentioned, a guy chooses school A....NU (or other schools then grab a lesser player). Initial school doesn't work out and now he's available but (insert school here) is already filled with potentially lesser guys. Hard to plan for and recruit for the present let alone the future....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, I am I said:

most kids who CAN play, will... at some point or other at the school they got recruited by. May take 1 or 3 yrs.

it’s called development, or used to be called that. 

now, with the damn “portal” it’s...”I’m not playing or happy so I’ll just leave”. Which is actually great for the kid sometimes. But imagine if a player who is a solid 3 or low 4 star player sticks it out for the extra year it takes them to develop and really shines for 2 years maybe 3. 

not NFL type talent, but really makes a name for themselves at their first school. 
we always talk about consistency in coaching staff but what about a kid leaving and having to re-emerge into another program? That didn’t recruit them or want to invest in them from the get go? 
I think most portal players would fair better if they stick it out. Most, not all. I can give literally a dozen examples of guys who left D1 programs cuz they weren’t getting what  they wanted and ended up at my D2 school (some did very well). Most of those guys talked about  that they still thought they were going pro, got a bad shake, were better than they thought, Pissed at the world cuz they didn’t get a good look D1 etc etc. 
They finished strong at D2 and always felt robbed. Whereas, if they stayed D1 they woulda def seen a lot of time there, playing in front of 50-80k and many more perks, bowl games, tv...better overall experience, but it woulda taken 1-1.5 more years. 

most guys are NOT going pro, that’s the thing that gets me. Know your lane and have the best experience you can in it. Instead of transferring and most often setting yourself back. 

and don’t forget, coaching circles are very small and very tight knit. You don’t think the team that picks up Delancey is going to call Frost? He may speak well of him, but he’s gonna give em the context of his situation as well. Grass isn’t always greener is what I’m saying I guess. 

I appreciate your post, I’m just not sure I readily agree with it. At least without supporting data on the number of scholarship players that play at their original school.  I’d like to compare these numbers from before the portal to the number that entered the portal last year. 

And In speaking of players not of NFL caliber. These kids might have to move to a lesser school to get a shot. 

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Vedral was never going to be the answer here.  Great kid but not the level we need to run our offense.  He can't even hold the starting job at Rutgers.

I think the point is we’re running off qualified backups based on the whims of fan sentiment. So far nobody is “the answer” here and our starter who runs more than the RB is backed up by unproven rookies.

9 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I think the point is we’re running off qualified backups based on the whims of fan sentiment. So far nobody is “the answer” here and our starter who runs more than the RB is backed up by unproven rookies.

Quarterbacks who are the starter usually transfer.  Everywhere.

Full stop.

End of story.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Not when they’re born and raised 30 miles away. Frost must have told him he has no shot... based on what I’d like to know.

I mean ... you can believe that if you want.  It seems like he probably wanted to play.  He was here for a year with the other guys so he knew what he was up against.  He thought he could go somewhere else and have a better chance to play.  And he was right.

Three out of the four playoff teams last year were starting a transfer QB.  That’s just how it is now-a-days.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... you can believe that if you want.  It seems like he probably wanted to play.  He was here for a year with the other guys so he knew what he was up against.  He thought he could go somewhere else and have a better chance to play.  And he was right.

Three out of the four playoff teams last year were starting a transfer QB.  That’s just how it is now-a-days.

It’s possible that Rutgers liked what they saw and recruited him in some way, then he told Frost he was moving on because it looked crowded here at the time.

With the portal it’s much easier to move around....Reminds me of MLB where players used to stay at one team for most of their career, then it changed and you couldn’t tell who was playing for who.

If he felt like he had no chance to play here then I think we must be promising recruits things and from what I’ve seen lately that sounds scary.

But we have just as much or more to gain from the portal because we’re definitely looking for players.

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I appreciate your post, I’m just not sure I readily agree with it. At least without supporting data on the number of scholarship players that play at their original school.  I’d like to compare these numbers from before the portal to the number that entered the portal last year. 

And In speaking of players not of NFL caliber. These kids might have to move to a lesser school to get a shot. 

I guess I’d say, let’s do the ‘pin the post‘. See where only our portal transfers end up, their contribution, their playing time and stats. 

As far as pro talent, I gave my own experience to a dozen, or more, back in the mid-late 90s of players I know personally that transferred to D2 so they could play right away and ‘prove’ themselves. They had good D2 careers and were scouted, along with our recruited 4-5 yr guys when the scouts came around.
Ran the 40, did interviews, reviewed their tape in person, and some were invited to summer camp to try out. The NFL, even in my D2 middle of nowhere neck of the woods, was certainly looking for talent. One guy...ONE, made an NFL roster for like 2 yrs. 

the guys that ‘came down’ to play D2, cuz they could play right away, before the portal made them immediately able to play, were often  very good players and helped us.   But they had this idea that they were screwed or not given a fair look at D1...they were good, but more concerned about going pro, had some attitude probs, weren’t totally team guys, didn’t buy in to our program...they were there play and prove etc etc...Most just did their last 2 yrs and never went anywhere. And it hurt our program in the long run, even tho sometimes they helped in the short term. 

now, instead of previous transfer rules that made them wait a year to play or drop to lower division to play  right away, they can just transfer...thinking that leaving Nebraska they’ll just go to some other D1 school, get their starting spot, shine on, and go pro or some s#!t. I don’t care if they transfer, but I think having a year consequence to it wasn’t so bad. It made them think of their time. One injury to a player ahead of them, one year of learning the system better, one more year acclimation might actually do them some good. 

they want it all, and want it right now. Stick it out, learn/grow, go to school, have a life, and try. Cuz you probably ain’t goin pro anyway. Transferring and leaving, I’d guess doesn’t lead to some brilliant 2nd chance where now everyone can see your pro ability all of a sudden...that’s just my experience of what I saw first hand. 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you still working for the same company you did when you got your first job at 16?  These kids have five years to play four and I have no problem with them doing what is best for them.  Their career is short.

4 hours ago, I am I said:

I’d guess doesn’t lead to some brilliant 2nd chance where now everyone can see your pro ability all of a sudden...that’s just my experience of what I saw first hand. 

2 issues going against your post

1. the portal makes it easy to transfer now and many of these kids all believe they are the exception

2. there are a lot of good examples in recent years that they can point to and say see look. Russell Wilson, baker mayfield, kyler Murray, Justin fields, Jalen hurts, joe burrow

These guys transferred and played at a heisman level 

5 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2 issues going against your post

1. the portal makes it easy to transfer now and many of these kids all believe they are the exception

2. there are a lot of good examples in recent years that they can point to and say see look. Russell Wilson, baker mayfield, kyler Murray, Justin fields, Jalen hurts, joe burrow

These guys transferred and played at a heisman level 

Don’t know if Russell Wilson, Mayfield are considered portal people. At least Wilson was a grad transfer and predates the portal 

No one can make any logical conclusions about the effects of the portal on schools or players as it is to new.  

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Don’t know if Russell Wilson, Mayfield are considered portal people. At least Wilson was a grad transfer and predates the portal 

No one can make any logical conclusions about the effects of the portal on schools or players as it is to new.  

Really the portal is irrelevant in what we are talking about. It is just a new tool to help organize transfers to make it easy. My points were kids who transferred from their school because they wanted a fresh start. That’s what all the kids in the portal are doing- today’s college football just makes it easier to transfer without penalty and the portal helps the kids find a school. 

some on here were saying transfers rarely pan out and I provided a few high profile transfers as of late that show that false. I think we will see more and more cases of success. I hope we can take advantage of it. Schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio state all have like 3 5 star qbs on their rosters. Or near 5. So if the 2nd team guy wants to move on I hope we try to get them. 

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Really the portal is irrelevant in what we are talking about. It is just a new tool to help organize transfers to make it easy. My points were kids who transferred from their school because they wanted a fresh start. That’s what all the kids in the portal are doing- today’s college football just makes it easier to transfer without penalty and the portal helps the kids find a school. 

some on here were saying transfers rarely pan out and I provided a few high profile transfers as of late that show that false. I think we will see more and more cases of success. I hope we can take advantage of it. Schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio state all have like 3 5 star qbs on their rosters. Or near 5. So if the 2nd team guy wants to move on I hope we try to get them. 

I think everyone can agree that players coming and going has perceptually increased since the portal and comparisons  to pre-portal transfers may not be valid.  I guess I have a different opinion on its impact at the university level , but I’m not sure how anyone can take the success of a few transfers and extrapolate it to all transfers.  Especially without data. And even with data, there’s always more to the story.