Purdue Week Pressers

Mavric

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I would say Adrian's attitude seems to have evolved quite a bit over the course of this year; obviously, there are plenty of things that play into that.  But, I really like what I am seeing from him and how he has responded to his own adversity this year.  To me, it's easy to see that he has a fire burning in his gut and I think that will serve him and this team well down the stretch. 

I, for one, really hope he sticks around because I think this team is going to need that kind of leadership over the offseason and definitely into his "senior" season...whatever we're supposed to call that now.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I would say Adrian's attitude seems to have evolved quite a bit over the course of this year; obviously, there are plenty of things that play into that.  But, I really like what I am seeing from him and how he has responded to his own adversity this year.  To me, it's easy to see that he has a fire burning in his gut and I think that will serve him and this team well down the stretch. 

I, for one, really hope he sticks around because I think this team is going to need that kind of leadership over the offseason and definitely into his "senior" season...whatever we're supposed to call that now.

I don't see a reason why he'd leave.  Luke isn't going to gain arm strength overnight and the way he throws the ball and appearance of his throws tells me that's a major limitation that no coaching or mechanic adjustment will fix. If he is really thinking he has to leave for a better opportunity I'd be shocked if there was a legit P5 team available that would be a good fit that also didn't have quality competition already in the QB room.

If I'm Adrian, I see Luke as a spark plug of a guy who got his chance and proved he can't move the needle with his arm.  I'd be shocked if he's even contemplating a move elsewhere- he's got a massive opportunity to win this job for good, he just needs to avoid his dud of performances like the start of the NW game

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Ugh, Jurgens has everything you want in a center, except he can't shotgun snap.  Either you move him or you adapt the offense and move under center.  He's never going to get away from the yips.  I mean if he was off a foot or two maybe, but some of those snaps are akin to a cold shank in golf.  And once that's in your head, or that of the QB, you're done.

3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Ugh, Jurgens has everything you want in a center, except he can't shotgun snap.  Either you move him or you adapt the offense and move under center.  He's never going to get away from the yips.  I mean if he was off a foot or two maybe, but some of those snaps are akin to a cold shank in golf.  And once that's in your head, or that of the QB, you're done.

I totally agree.  Jurgen's failures at center are not a new phenomenon.   This started last year and has continued throughout several games this year.  There is NO reason he should still be snapping the ball.  If he is that explosive and talented then move him to another O-line position.  The team cannot afford to have a single drive impacted by a faulty snap.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

I don't see a reason why he'd leave.  Luke isn't going to gain arm strength overnight and the way he throws the ball and appearance of his throws tells me that's a major limitation that no coaching or mechanic adjustment will fix. If he is really thinking he has to leave for a better opportunity I'd be shocked if there was a legit P5 team available that would be a good fit that also didn't have quality competition already in the QB room.

If I'm Adrian, I see Luke as a spark plug of a guy who got his chance and proved he can't move the needle with his arm.  I'd be shocked if he's even contemplating a move elsewhere- he's got a massive opportunity to win this job for good, he just needs to avoid his dud of performances like the start of the NW game

I guess I was more going off of some of the talk from Damon Benning and Gary Sharpe on 1620.  DB has been saying for two weeks that he hoped AM would be able to move past (emotionally and mentally) being benched for LMC.  Then, I believe it was Tuesday, Sharpe was talking about AM making the remaining games his audition for the transfer portal.  I don't know if either of them were talking from a position of knowledge, or if they were just speaking on their own gut feelings.  

I am just gun shy because of all of the players we've seen leave this program over the last two years.  I'm not saying that I'm down on those players leaving.  Players who leave because they have no foresight, patience, or feel entitled are better off going elsewhere.  People who don't want to be here will only hurt this team, so I say "have a good life".  It's really like trying to convince a significant other to stay in a relationship...they may stay, but the relationship will never be solid and is pretty much a lame duck.  It's just better for everyone to move on and find happiness.

Ultimately, it probably really depends on how the coaches handled it in-house over the last two or three weeks.  If it was handled appropriately, I think AM takes that as a chip on his shoulder and hopefully it translates into better play on the field. 

2 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

I guess I was more going off of some of the talk from Damon Benning and Gary Sharpe on 1620.  DB has been saying for two weeks that he hoped AM would be able to move past (emotionally and mentally) being benched for LMC.  Then, I believe it was Tuesday, Sharpe was talking about AM making the remaining games his audition for the transfer portal.  I don't know if either of them were talking from a position of knowledge, or if they were just speaking on their own gut feelings.  

I am just gun shy because of all of the players we've seen leave this program over the last two years.  I'm not saying that I'm down on those players leaving.  Players who leave because they have no foresight, patience, or feel entitled are better off going elsewhere.  People who don't want to be here will only hurt this team, so I say "have a good life".  It's really like trying to convince a significant other to stay in a relationship...they may stay, but the relationship will never be solid and is pretty much a lame duck.  It's just better for everyone to move on and find happiness.

Ultimately, it probably really depends on how the coaches handled it in-house over the last two or three weeks.  If it was handled appropriately, I think AM takes that as a chip on his shoulder and hopefully it translates into better play on the field. 

I hope for that as well.  If anything, I think giving AM the starter keys to drive against Iowa was a big vote of confidence for him and hope it pays dividends.  Had LM been the starter again, I think the chances of AM transferring would have increased dramatically.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

If Luke decides to leave and wants a shot at QB I don't think he goes P5. NU was one of if not the only team that was giving him a legit shot at being a QB anyway. Some team might say they'd give him a shot and then just try to move him to another position.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

The second Vokolek quote is why Illinois happened.  Sounds like the coaches need to get better at motivating.  

I think it has more to do with a QB that committed four turnovers, personally. I didn't really see a lack of motivation, I saw one particular player pretty much flushing the game down the drain.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think it has more to do with a QB that committed four turnovers, personally. I didn't really see a lack of motivation, I saw one particular player pretty much flushing the game down the drain.

Offensively maybe, but that was a terrible all around effort on defense. Even Reimer just didn't look prepared to play. If we get better QB play, we might win a shootout. But it works the other way too, 250 yards and 2 TDs (even with the turnovers) could've been enough if the defense showed up at all.