Purdue Week Pressers

Mavric

15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

If Luke decides to leave and wants a shot at QB I don't think he goes P5. NU was one of if not the only team that was giving him a legit shot at being a QB anyway. Some team might say they'd give him a shot and then just try to move him to another position.

Sorry, to clarify I was referring to AM transferring out as a poster prior mentioned his leadership and him leaving would be a hit.

Agreed, I don't think Luke transfers unless he has a for sure path somewhere and i dunno what P5 would guarantee that outside of a bottom dweller simply to get his speed.  

If I'm frost I'm using the remaining games to sprinkle in some packages with Luke at RB and get creative with it.  HB passes, roll outs, options, etc... the guy is a burner out there and should be on the field period at this point given our uncertainty at RB

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Offensively maybe, but that was a terrible all around effort on defense. Even Reimer just didn't look prepared to play. If we get better QB play, we might win a shootout. But it works the other way too, 250 yards and 2 TDs (even with the turnovers) could've been enough if the defense showed up at all. 

I hear your argument.

We pretty much spotted them with 7 points because of the failed lateral they recovered on our first play. After that I think the defense just gets demoralized from having to trot back out onto the field, turnover after turnover.

But I agree with your statement that 23 points can definitely be argued as being enough to win any given game. It's just going to be enough points to win a game with 4 turnovers, though.   :)

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

News flash Scott: it doesn't matter how great he is at blocking if 1 in 4 drives are ruined because of a snapping issue. 

There’s also a great position for guys with that combination of strengths and weaknesses.  They call them “guards”.  

Seriously, give him the week and have Jurgens and Farniok swap spots for the next game.  It can’t be much worse. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Ugh, Jurgens has everything you want in a center, except he can't shotgun snap.  Either you move him or you adapt the offense and move under center.  He's never going to get away from the yips.  I mean if he was off a foot or two maybe, but some of those snaps are akin to a cold shank in golf.  And once that's in your head, or that of the QB, you're done.

Our entire program has the "yips"

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I missed this (apparently in the presser today).  Obviously the trick is avoiding these things.  But when we give ourselves a chance we can be very good.

I guess the adverse of this would be Chin saying without a penalty, bad snap, of turnover opponents score 90% of the time

I kid.  I kid

Or do I????:dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I missed this (apparently in the presser today).  Obviously the trick is avoiding these things.  But when we give ourselves a chance we can be very good.

That is kind of an amazing statistic really. But are we really a young offense? We returned our starting QB, RB, TE, Wandale, and our entire offensive line. Granted we replaced Hixson, with Farniok and inserted Benhart, obviously they felt like that made us better. I guess I’m just not buying that. We could have basically rolled with 9 returning starters if we chose... 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Farms said:

That is kind of an amazing statistic really. But are we really a young offense? We returned our starting QB, RB, TE, Wandale, and our entire offensive line. Granted we replaced Hixson, with Farniok and is erred Benhart, obviously they felt like that made us better. I guess I’m just not buying that. We could have basically rolled with 9 returning starters if we chose... 

Our returning RB hasn't played in four games.  Our returning best TE has been hurt the last three games.  And we don't really meet anyone's definition of "returning the entire offensive line".  They were all on the team last year but two of them didn't play and three of them are sophomores or younger.

Guys on the field for the first snap at Iowa:

Seniors - Jaimes, Farniok

Juniors - Martinez, Allen, Vokolek (first year playing here), Martin (just declared eligible two weeks ago)

Sophomores - Robinson, Jurgens

Freshmen - Betts, Piper, Benhart

Others that have played a lot the last couple games:

Seniors - Stoll (injured)

Juniors - Warner

Sophomores - none

Freshmen - Johnson, Scott, Brown

Only six juniors or seniors that played last year have even been in the rotation the last few games.  That seems relatively young to me.

Edit: I was just looking at scholarship guys.  We have a couple walk-on receivers but they didn't play last year either.

• Plus1 1

@Farms Not young across the board, but at WR and RB, we are EXTREMELY young. We've been gutted by attrition at those two positions, and IMO it's the biggest thing weighing us down, by far. I wrote this up in some detail a couple weeks ago, so here's the post:

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Our returning RB hasn't played in four games.  Our returning best TE has been hurt the last three games.  And we don't really meet anyone's definition of "returning the entire offensive line".  They were all on the team last year but two of them didn't play and three of them are sophomores or younger.

Guys on the field for the first snap at Iowa:

Seniors - Jaimes, Farniok

Juniors - Martinez, Allen, Vokolek (first year playing here), Martin (just declared eligible two weeks ago)

Sophomores - Robinson, Jurgens

Freshmen - Betts, Piper, Benhart

Others that have played a lot the last couple games:

Seniors - Stoll (injured)

Juniors - Warner

Sophomores - none

Freshmen - Johnson, Scott, Brown

That seems relatively young to me.

But we could be playing Jaimes, Wilson Jurgens, Hixson, and Farniok. Coaches obviously feel that makes them better but now we’re throwing out the young excuse. And I guess in my mind, I don’t think of Robinson and Jurgens as young after starting a full year. Also Warner has played quite a bit more than Betts. 

1 minute ago, Farms said:

But we could be playing Jaimes, Hixson, Jurgens, Hixson, and Farniok. Coaches obviously feel that makes them better but now we’re throwing out the young excuse. And I guess in my mind, I don’t think if Robinson and Jurgens as young after starting a full year. Also Warner has played quite a bit more than Betts. 

Hixson is gonna be busy...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Farms Not young across the board, but at WR and RB, we are EXTREMELY young. We've been gutted by attrition at those two positions, and IMO it's the biggest thing weighing us down, by far. I wrote this up in some detail a couple weeks ago, so here's the post:

True. I’ve had so little time to watch football this year up until this weekend I had hardly watched anything other than Husker games but watching a few games made me realize sometimes how just a few pieces can make such a big difference. Like LSU still loaded with talent but struggling for example. Or on the other end Florida has a couple key guys really step it up and they are in the playoff hunt.