I fear darker days are ahead

After watching the Iowa game I felt like I needed to get some things off of my chest, so I made an account here (did not want to pay for Huskermax lol). This is my first post, so bear with me. If Frost wins 1/2 games this year, and 3/4/5 next, does he get let go? What if year 5 is sub .500 as well? How bad would our program look if he gets let go? I want Frost to succeed just as much as the next guy, but I have serious questions at this point. At least we seem more physical than Mike Reilly's teams ever were. My prediction? Frost underperforms next year, we give him another year, and let him go after year 5. He finishes with around a .400 record. Rinse, lather, and repeat with another coach who wins 4 games a year and start a "rebuilding" project from square 1 all over again. Why would any coach with half a name want to coach at Nebraska? Heck, why would any recruits want to play at Nebraska? Who is to say that we don't get another Reilly? who says we win more than 5 games ever again? Why do teams like Wisconsin outperform us when we out recruit them year over year by a good margin? I know I am being pessimistic, but I call things like I see 'em. Dang I hope I am wrong. Someone please tell me that I am just being too critical and I need to go play golf to ease the nerves.  

• Plus1 2

No. 

Wisconsin hasn't won a Rose Bowl since the Barry Alvarez days. They are tough to beat because they make OL their top priority in recruiting and build around that with a straight ahead run game. If you can't stop their run you aren't going to beat them. 

Frost will be around for a good 20 years plus as long as he is able to to get back to winning seasons in the coming seasons. He will get it done. Nebraska is not that far away from having a winning record. A lot of these games are close. 

I'm a strong believer that if Frost doesn't get it done, nobody the rest of our lives will. He is the only coach that can come Nebraska and actually understand the place and be willing to stick it out. Look at guys like Bo and Riley, Bo wanted out and Riley gave up. Frost is a fighter and will get things going and once they do fans will enjoy football again. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 6

This season is just weird.  We really need another win.  I do see the defense as more physical.  The offense has no deep threat or running game.  I’d like to see one of the RBs establish themselves and I think it might be Scott who I see more of as a punish the defense runner which we badly need.  I thought the offense would be humming more by now.  That initial drive vs Ohio State in game 1 was what I expected to see consistently.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, biggiecheese said:

After watching the Iowa game I felt like I needed to get some things off of my chest, so I made an account here (did not want to pay for Huskermax lol). This is my first post, so bear with me. If Frost wins 1/2 games this year, and 3/4/5 next, does he get let go? What if year 5 is sub .500 as well? How bad would our program look if he gets let go? I want Frost to succeed just as much as the next guy, but I have serious questions at this point. At least we seem more physical than Mike Reilly's teams ever were. My prediction? Frost underperforms next year, we give him another year, and let him go after year 5. He finishes with around a .400 record. Rinse, lather, and repeat with another coach who wins 4 games a year and start a "rebuilding" project from square 1 all over again. Why would any coach with half a name want to coach at Nebraska? Heck, why would any recruits want to play at Nebraska? Who is to say that we don't get another Reilly? who says we win more than 5 games ever again? Why do teams like Wisconsin outperform us when we out recruit them year over year by a good margin? I know I am being pessimistic, but I call things like I see 'em. Dang I hope I am wrong. Someone please tell me that I am just being too critical and I need to go play golf to ease the nerves.  

Hey congrats on your first post!  It's unfortunate that frustration is what caused it, but there are many in here who love this program dearly and agree with your sentiment.  

• Plus1 1

Barry Alverez had three losing seasons when he took over Wisconsin.

Kirk Ferentz was 11-24 his first three years at Iowa. (7-19 in the B1G)

I know that my (and most Husker fan's) dreams of the program are even higher than where these programs are.  But, we also would be much happier right now if we were at their level.

I'm not predicting Frost is going to succeed here even though I think he can.  But, sometimes building a program takes longer than what the fans wish.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I’d like to see one of the RBs establish themselves and I think it might be Scott who I see more of as a punish the defense runner which we badly need.

Rahmir had some good looking runs on Friday. I hope he builds on that this week against a weaker defense and hopefully Thompkins comes back healthy too and we build a strong run game. If that happens this offense could really get moving.

I think many of us had visions of a UCF type of turn around.  "If Frost could do it at UCF, surely he could do it here with our great resources".  Those unrealistic expectations placed undo pressure on the team to be Big 10 championship caliber in 2-3 years.  I know I underestimated how deep the rebuild would be.  How soft the culture had become.  Frost hasn't been without missteps of his own but hopefully he is learning.  I'm still not sure he can do the rebuild wt his UCF coaches.  But the team is getting more physical, the chaff is leaving the program (Florida 5 - as they reveal their true commitment level).  Hopefully the underclassmen will take ownership of the team in the same way those 1990 teams did.  Once the players take ownership, it will rise to a new level.

I hope it happens fast as I plan on being at the NU/OU game in Norman next Sept. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, biggiecheese said:

Hmmm...new account "biggiecheese" proceeds to throw dirt on the program and then sing the praises of wait for it.... Wisconsin

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Well December 21st is the shortest day of the year, so yes, darker days are ahead.

I encourage anyone who is feeling down about this team to watch a few replays of the Riley's last season and then re-watch our 2020 games against NW, Penn State, Iowa, etc...  We are a much better team.  Yes, we are making mistakes but there is massive progress if you can sit back without emotion an see what's happening.  In my opinion, I believe most fans are upset right now because they know we were good enough to be sitting at 1 or 2 losses right now instead of 4.  It's frustrating as hell but we are in a much better position than we were 3 years ago.    

I agree.  I watched the Iowa game again and we're not getting beat physically at the line like we were in the Riley days or Frost's first year..   

That's the first step to improvement.  Clean up the mental errors in both the Iowa and NW games and nobody here is calling for Frost's head.  This game is such a fine line. Now that the physical disparities have been addressed I'm hopeful we're getting closer to the next step.  

• Plus1 5

Could we actually be headed for darker days in the future?  We may end this season with a single win.  In what was a developmental year and with little pressure to perform!  I used to believe that hitting bottom for NU was missing bowl games (circa 2004).  Must we actually achieve 0-12 in order to hit bottom?

Will paper bags with eye holes be available for sale outside Memorial Stadium next year?  Sounds possible.