Did you tip for takeout pre-covid? Do you now?

An interesting conversation from some locals on Twitter:

I'm in line with Mike'l on this. Pre-covid, I never tipped for takeout. The servers are essentially cashiers at that point, and nobody tips the cashiers at gas stations, Walmart, etc.

Now, since I know it's likely the only way they're getting tipped, I tip for takeout, and try to do so generously (40-50% of the bill).

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Yeah, that's where the conversation started. I don't know. I don't really like having a tip built in to the bill. If you're not happy with what your employees are making, pay them more....Or raise your prices so you can. That's what I've always done when I give out raises across the board.

• Plus1 1

I tipped for carry out at most places before and generally I have been tipping a bit more since Covid. But it sort of depends on the place and if there is any work involved in packaging the order and making sure everything is correct. If it’s just a grab it and throw it in a bag situation I’m not tipping.

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, that's where the conversation started. I don't know. I don't really like having a tip built in to the bill. If you're not happy with what your employees are making, pay them more....Or raise your prices so you can. That's what I've always done when I give out raises across the board.

I tip well for carry out at local establishments, but not the big chain outlets.

6 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm in line with Mike'l on this. Pre-covid, I never tipped for takeout. The servers are essentially cashiers at that point, and nobody tips the cashiers at gas stations, Walmart, etc.

Now, since I know it's likely the only way they're getting tipped, I tip for takeout, and try to do so generously (40-50% of the bill).

I never tipped on takeout before COVID. I tip probably around 20% now on takeout. IDK what it is about him, but Hoppen annoys me sometimes. "Stop being a monster", "makes me sick", "disgusting and disheartening" seems a little strong for people not leaving tips on takeout orders, certainly not the most egregious thing going on in our society. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I never tipped on takeout before COVID. I tip probably around 20% now on takeout. IDK what it is about him, but Hoppen annoys me sometimes. "Stop being a monster", "makes me sick", "disgusting and disheartening" seems a little strong for people not leaving tips on takeout orders, certainly not the most egregious thing going on in our society. 

Hoppen is the most annoying local guy on Twitter, in my opinion. He's incredibly insecure, dramatic, and loves to virtue signal when he can.... My favorite Twitter memory of his was when he casually compared Booker from the Sun's dropping 70 in an NBA game, to the time he supposedly scored 70 in a rec league game.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Hoppen is the most annoying local guy on Twitter, in my opinion. He's incredibly insecure, dramatic, and loves to virtue signal when he can.... My favorite Twitter memory of his was when he casually compared Booker from the Sun's dropping 70 in an NBA game, to the time he supposedly scored 70 in a rec league game.

Yeah there is a smugness. It is sad small businesses are losing tips. But also tone-deaf for Dan to get on his high horse about it. It's a pandemic, businesses are closing across the country, I know many people furloughed, people that can't find work, people who have hours cut.  People are struggling,  not hard to believe people aren't shelling out extra money on take out orders. 

• Fire 1

I don't tip for takeout just like I don't tip when I get food at a drive-thru. 

If I'm not being given table service, why should I tip? I don't tip the cashier at the grocery store, or the mailman, or the person who changes my oil. 

The American obsession with tips is ridiculous. Just pay people a living wage and get rid of the practice altogether. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If I'm not being given table service, why should I tip? I don't tip the cashier at the grocery store, or the mailman, or the person who changes my oil. 

The American obsession with tips is ridiculous. Just pay people a living wage and get rid of the practice altogether. 

I agree.  I saw this conversation on twitter yesterday and I might start tipping for takeout while the pandemic is going on.  I'm sure I won't do it once things go back to normal.  The tip is for service given within the restaurant.

Interestingly, people in countries like Germany don't expect to be tipped.  Believe me, they're happy when they are....mainly from Americans who think they should...but, it's not expected.  The restaurant pays them enough to account for it.

I wish America would get back to a tip really means special service was given.  So, maybe 9 out of 10 times you eat at a restaurant, no need for a tip. But, that one time when the waiter/waitress goes above and beyond....bingo, they get a tip.

But, that will never happen.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What's with the Proposed Tipping Rule Change? — Chicago Business Attorney  Blog — March 27, 2018

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I just had this experience the other night.

I've never tipped for take-out before.  But for the first time in ages I ordered some food from a local place and went to pick it up.  As I was signing my slip, out of habit I put in $0.00 for the tip.  I had a weird feeling and crossed it out and sat there awkwardly thinking about if I should tip or not because the place was empty.  I ended up tipping like $3.00 to make my $77 tab an even $80.

It felt weird to leave a tip that small on a large ticket, but at the same time I felt like I gave more than I should have.

During my college years I delivered furniture for a couple of places. You're taking this 500lb oak chest into someone's upstairs bedroom and when you're done, they sign the sheet and you leave. No tip.

Why wouldn't you tip for that service, but you tip a waiter for bringing you another beer? Or you tip the pizza guy for walking a 5lb pizza to your door. 

It doesn't make sense. 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It was very clever of the guy/gal who first passed the onus onto the consumer to directly help pay the wages of their employees.

I agree with your sentiment, but I've always been a good tipper, mainly because my dad was an extremely lousy tipper (if he tipped at all), and it's something I've always disliked about him. :lol:

• Plus1 1