Did you tip for takeout pre-covid? Do you now?

9 minutes ago, admo said:

I always tip good if she got a nice rack

You heaarr me! :P

Yeah! Who doesn't love a great rack of ribs!

-------

My wife's sister used to work at crApplebee's and would always complain about people not tipping for takeout or curbside. Her thought was that since she was assigned to work takeout/curbside that night she was missing out on tips from waiting tables and somehow that's the customers problem and they should still tip her. She got mad at us when we said we only tipped a couple bucks when we did takeout/curbside. 

One of my college friends used to think he was this super rad dude and would put a stack of 1's on the table at a restaurant and tell the server it was all theirs, but every time there was a mistake or he had to wait too long he'd take a dollar away. Funny enough, he never gave out more than 20% of the bill :lol:

• Haha 1

I was in the restaurant game for a while during college so I certainly get the tipping mindset.  That being said, I only tip takeout in 2 scenarios.  One is for curbside takeout.  If you're bringing the food out to me, I'm throwing you 20%, perhaps moreso if the weather is especially terrible.  I also will tip when I pickup takeout from my favorite local pizza place since I go there quite a bit and I want to support them by throwing them a few extra bucks.  Other than that, zippo.

9 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah there is a smugness. It is sad small businesses are losing tips. But also tone-deaf for Dan to get on his high horse about it. It's a pandemic, businesses are closing across the country, I know many people furloughed, people that can't find work, people who have hours cut.  People are struggling,  not hard to believe people aren't shelling out extra money on take out orders. 

Hoppen is trying to place himself as the mouthpiece for the local restaurant scene (he's got a podcast and his Twitter is all local food) so I understand where he's coming from.  Smugness is a great way to describe it.

• Fire 1
26 minutes ago, GSG said:

Yeah! Who doesn't love a great rack of ribs!

-------

My wife's sister used to work at crApplebee's and would always complain about people not tipping for takeout or curbside. Her thought was that since she was assigned to work takeout/curbside that night she was missing out on tips from waiting tables and somehow that's the customers problem and they should still tip her. She got mad at us when we said we only tipped a couple bucks when we did takeout/curbside. 

One of my college friends used to think he was this super rad dude and would put a stack of 1's on the table at a restaurant and tell the server it was all theirs, but every time there was a mistake or he had to wait too long he'd take a dollar away. Funny enough, he never gave out more than 20% of the bill :lol:

Were you at UNK from 99-03?  We might have had the same friend :lol:

My habit of tipping restaurants for takeout really depends if I think about it, or if they make it easy to do so.  I will typically tip locally-owned restaurants more than chains.  I know it all goes to the servers, so that philosophy is inconsistent.

Regarding tipping outside of restaurants, I always tip for haircuts and I will try to tip store delivery drivers, especially if they are delivering heavy items.

• Plus1 2

I have never tipped for takeout and still don't. Perhaps I should be more mindful of that in the COVID era, but traditionally, I have not viewed the act of me picking up food from a restaurant as a 'tipping' situation.

We're also experiencing a strange dynamic with food delivery service companies like DoorDash. I think the app only allows you to tip the driver, not the worker at the restaurant. So, me driving to pick up the food is a tipping situation for the employee, but someone else driving to pick up the food is not?

Also, completely agree with @FrantzHardySwag @B.B. Hemingway and others - can't stand Hoppen on Twitter. The smugness and 'never missing an opportunity to virtue signal' is 100% spot on. I think I even unfollowed him in the last year. I can respect his interest in wanting to support the local food community, but like a lot of local 'food critics,' he has absolutely no qualifications to make his opinion more valid on food than anybody else's. He's a self-proclaimed food lover who's leveraging an audience he built as a Husker reporter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I never tipped on takeout before COVID. I tip probably around 20% now on takeout. IDK what it is about him, but Hoppen annoys me sometimes. "Stop being a monster", "makes me sick", "disgusting and disheartening" seems a little strong for people not leaving tips on takeout orders, certainly not the most egregious thing going on in our society. 

Hoppen is one of those Twenty-something jackasses who thinks their opinions are unironically correct all the time, and how dare you for thinking anything else could be; he got blocked on Twitter a lllloooonnnnggg time ago. 

• Plus1 3

I always used to tip about 10% for takeout. I always thought that in restaurants, the servers split their tips with the rest of the staff, so even though I'm not being served at a table, the guys still deserve a little something. But now during the pandemic I tip the full 20%. Our town has a delivery service that partners with all of the local restaurants, and we have been using them a lot this year, with the full tip added to that as well (along with the delivery surcharge, it adds up!).

We moved in April, during the height of the early pandemic paranoia, and I tipped the movers an extra $120 for their efforts.

I was a wedding DJ in college, and it was normal to get tips between $40 - $100 at the end of the night, after already getting paid to play music, eat their buffet food and wedding cake, and flirt with bridesmaids. Those tips were a kick-a$$ bonus.

I don't tip for takeout

I do tip at bars for every drink if I am paying in cash...and if the waitress and or waiter is a hottie. 

I HATE the "Do you want to round up your total to help this orphan who is literally standing right here at the checkout line and is not looking at you, dead in the eye" routine.  

5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I always used to tip about 10% for takeout. I always thought that in restaurants, the servers split their tips with the rest of the staff, so even though I'm not being served at a table, the guys still deserve a little something. But now during the pandemic I tip the full 20%. Our town has a delivery service that partners with all of the local restaurants, and we have been using them a lot this year, with the full tip added to that as well (along with the delivery surcharge, it adds up!).

We moved in April, during the height of the early pandemic paranoia, and I tipped the movers an extra $120 for their efforts.

I was a wedding DJ in college, and it was normal to get tips between $40 - $100 at the end of the night, after already getting paid to play music, eat their buffet food and wedding cake, and flirt with bridesmaids. Those tips were a kick-a$$ bonus.

Be honest, if a hot bridesmaid came up to request a song...how quickly did that song get played compared to like...a non-hottie.

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I HATE the "Do you want to round up your total to help this orphan who is literally standing right here at the checkout line and is not looking at you, dead in the eye" routine.  

You should not contribute to those for multiple reasons. They use your donation as a tax write-off. They take an administrative fee out of your donation for their "handling" of the cash. The charity receives only a percentage of your donation. 

If you want to donate to charity, donate directly to that charity. And get a receipt. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Be honest, if a hot bridesmaid came up to request a song...how quickly did that song get played compared to like...a non-hottie.

Oh, the guickness and certainty of a request being played was often directly proportional to their hotness. But at the same time, every song request was an opportunity to flirt, tell a joke, or ask for a drink. If they did not play the game with me, her request slides down the list. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You should not contribute to those for multiple reasons. They use your donation as a tax write-off. They take an administrative fee out of your donation for their "handling" of the cash. The charity receives only a percentage of your donation. 

If you want to donate to charity, donate directly to that charity. And get a receipt. 

Yeah, doesn't the charity end up only getting like 25%?

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Oh, the guickness and certainty of a request being played was often directly proportional to their hotness. But at the same time, every song request was an opportunity to flirt, tell a joke, or ask for a drink. If they did not play the game with me, her request slides down the list. 

"House of Pain, Jump Around...Hmmm...let me check to see if I have it...I can see why the bride did not pick you as her maid of honor...why?  oh because everyone would have been staring at you and not her...lookie here, I go have Jump Around"

• Haha 2