Interesting holding stats for NU

Per my rough review, Nebraska has been flagged for holding 12 times this year. Four of those were declined. 

Six of the accepted penalties were against our O Line.

Ohio State

Farniok and an unnamed player got flagged in the Ohio State game. One defensive holding call was declined by OSU. That was against Dismuke.

Ohio State was not flagged for holding in this game.

Northwestern

We were called for holding three times in this game, twice on our O Line. Benhart & Jaimes were flagged. A defensive holding call against Dismuke was declined.

According to what I saw, Greg Newsome, NW Defensive Back, was flagged for holding in the third quarter, and we accepted that penalty. 

Penn State

There was one holding penalty in this game - against JoJo Domann.

Penn State was not flagged for holding in this game.

Illinois

There were three holding calls in this game. Two were on the offense. One was against Cam Jurgens on what would have been a touchdown by Marvin Scott at the 1 yard line, but was called back. The other was against an unnamed player. Nadab Joseph got flagged for holding on Special Teams, which negated Cam Taylor-Britt's good punt return. 

Illinois was not flagged for holding in this game.

Iowa

There were two holding penalties in this game. One, against Benhart, was accepted. Another, against an unnamed Husker, was declined.

Iowa was not flagged for holding in this game.

That means we've had holding called on us 12 times in five games, eight of which were against the O Line, although two were declined. 

Four of our five opponents have not been flagged for holding on Offense, Defense or Special Teams. I question whether the NW penalty was ruled holding or some other infraction, like PI. Can't remember and I can't go back and look at that game right now. 

So the disparity is, at best, 12-1.

It's 12-0 if that wasn't ultimately determined to be holding against Newsome.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4

One was against Cam Jurgens on what would have been a touchdown by Marvin Scott at the 1 yard line, but was called back. 

That call really bothered me, because the amount of time it took for the ball to be snapped and Scott to be in the endzone was barely a full 2 count.  There wasn't even time  to have committed the holding penalty

• Plus1 7

@AlaSker good point on the TD play. Honestly holding shouldn't be called on a play that lasts less than 3 seconds, especially since so many holds are already not called. Personally I think holding should only be called if it is near the play, preventing a tackle/sack. It's kinda silly on kick offs when there is a hold (or block in the back) 20 yards across the field called.

• Plus1 2

Seriously...

Holding isn't a routine call.  It is a penalty decided to shift momentum and the flow of the game to help with the outcome.  That's just day one stuff.  If it is called early on, it is to hint or divert from what will come much later (if need be).  This has been going on for decades. And there is nothing you can complain or do or about it.

The officials holding call will always change field position, take points off the board, make you punt, put you deep behind the chains, kill a big play and eliminate your momentum. They know when and where to call it.  Trust me.

And they always know when not to call it too.