A Spartan fan's impression of your head coach

Duffy

I guess I must not watch much of the press conferences.  But, the ones I have watched of pretty much all the coaches, I hear them saying the coaches need to do a better job.  But, when specifically asked about something like Jurgen's snap issues, he has stated that Cam needs to do a better job.  I don't see that as throwing Cam under the bus.  It's a fact that we all see.

Not sure what else they are supposed to say.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska has struggled in the Big 10, but one of the bright spots has been how often we've beaten better Michigan State teams.

So yes, I'd probably take Michigan State over Rutgers if there's a December make-up game. 

Anyone but Penn State. If they allow repeats and we meet in the toilet bowl crossover, I bet they win the rematch and we finish last in the b10.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska has struggled in the Big 10, but one of the bright spots has been how often we've beaten better Michigan State teams.

So yes, I'd probably take Michigan State over Rutgers if there's a December make-up game. 

Yes! In memory of the snow angel game!  Brrr

@Duffy As far as Frosts comments about getting pumped up; It would help to remember who he received his tutelage under. Guys like Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Belichick, and Chip Kelly. Two of those guys are pretty well known for being very stoic, but having nasty bad a$$ teams. They might yell on the sidelines now and again, but they weren't dancing in the locker room like Dabo and Gundy.

If players can't get themselves motivated to play there's not much the coach is going to be able to do. It's something that every coach probably deals with at least once a season and the great teams have the talent to overcome it, we don't.

Frost wears his emotions on his sleeve and he's pretty blunt. If you haven't seen many of his press conferences I can understand why you would think he's shifting the blame, but he's not that type of person. In previous conferences he's put it entirely on his, and the other coache's shoulders. He's just really frustrated right now, and the team isn't living up to it's potential.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Everything Frost said you and I completely agree with. The issue is whether he needs articulate those aloud to the press, like when he threw Riley under the bus about inheriting a team without discipline. 

It's just optics, but perceptions shape reality. 

Thanks to all the thoughtful and good-natured replies in this thread, btw. It's fun to converse like adults without being saddled with ad hominem attacks. Other corners of the internet seemingly get nastier every year. Not here (so far)

• Plus1 3

I don't really care all that much what coaches say in press conferences - unless it somehow hurts the product on the field. Then it's a problem.

For example, I didn't really care when Pelini was an a$$ in an interview, I just wanted to win the games he was coaching in.

So that said, although I'm not keen on doing it...if I were forced to dissect Frost's accusation that the team lacks motivation, I'd probably call BS on that. I think it's just the thing that comes to his mind that deflects from the constant undisciplined play, snaps that fly 12 yards over the QB's head, muffed punts, etc. In that respect I'd probably at least partially agree with the OP - but I also think it just doesn't make a single s*** either way.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

@Fru I don't think the 1st post was a shot at Frost's integrity, but merely pointing out the obvious in ways Frost could avoid comments in press conferences that a more seasoned coach would avoid. I think Frost may be on to something (and i'm not saying he is wrong) I just don't know if continuing to put that stuff out there is the best strategy for a young team. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Hey Duffy, that’s a very famous first name in the history of MSU football. I am wondering if you are in my generation. I’m 64 myself. One thing older Nebraska fans do remember about Duffy is he recommended one of his assistant coaches for the Husker head coaching job — that would be Bob Devaney.