Does Frost go after Milton?

jjk0091

Logan Smothers is going to be 21 next year, and a 22-year-old Junior in 2022. 

Smothers is planning to push hard for the starting job next year. Unless he's a bust at this level (unlikely) he's looking at a ticking clock before he hits the NFL market. 

You bring in Milton to play next year, why would Smothers stay? Just because he's given an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA doesn't mean he'll take it. 

It's an interesting question.

• Plus1 2

Frost needs to win now, or yesterday.  I think it is a no brainer to bring Milton in if he is 70%+.  It won't affect Smothers as he'd be sitting behind TM/LM anyway.  Hopefully Frost can convince Luke  that his ticket to the NFL isn't playing QB but WR/ or Slot.  He could excel in that position and be a weapon like WanDale is now. 

That brings us to AM -  I'm willing to risk the lost of AM to the portal to bring in Milton.  AM has digressed since his Freshman year.  However, AM may choose to sit it out as a red shirt to learn and to get his mojo back for his senior year. If Luke switches positions this would place Smothers as # 2 behind Milton.  Luke could be # 3 if needed.  

But it is all a mute point if we don't get a long pass WR threat on the field.  Omar has been a no show, so we have no threat to stretch out the field.  We also need the OL to perform better. 

Perhaps having Milton will allow us to use our RBs as well RBs and get them more involved in the running game instead of QB run right and QB run left. 

• Plus1 2

Is Milton truly back is the question I have. He was great at UCF during their run, but what did he truly lose after the injury. Do we have the weapons to surround him with? I do not care at all about feelings of a player that he would take over for...that is what happens each year when a new recruiting class comes in. If, and a big if, Milton were to come and AM to transfer out...is there a top program that would go after AM after the last two seasons he has had for the Huskers? Is AM 'stuck' here? After his freshman season I am confident there would have been top tier programs that would take him in, but now??

This will be interesting to follow that is for sure!

Props to McKenzie for even wanting to play.  Getting to even 90% is one thing.  Mentally getting past that subconscious fear or hesitancy at game speed is another.  That was a horrific injury.

If that's behind him then Frost really doesn't have a choice but to offer.  If he doesn't and next year goes south he may not survive to coach in 2022.

I am going to oversimplify.  Sign him, if he competes and wins the job then he plays, if he doesn't maybe he uses this opportunity to start his coaching journey and is asked to tutor and assist the other QB's.   I really like the potential of our QB's, but nobody is showing us anything special at the moment.  How long do you worry about hurting feelings and transfers?  

• Plus1 2

I've waited to chime in on this topic.  Here are my thoughts:

1) Milton wants to transfer where he will be THE starting QB.  I am not willing to hand him the starting QB position.  I would let him compete with Adrian, but it's not an automatic that Milton would win the job.

2) Bringing in Milton would basically be telling Luke that his time at QB is being pushed out another year, and we don't even trust him to be the backup.  If Luke is hell-bent on being a QB, that likely means Luke is transfers out.  Adrian could also look to transfer as a grad transfer (my guess is that Adrian could be close to graduating).  That means NU's QB room would be a 5th-year QB, coming off a major leg injury, who hasn't played in 2 years.  This is not like Joe Burrow or any of the guys OU had recently.

3) Here is my best-case scenario. Milton is willing to compete with Adrian for the starting QB job, and those 2 are the top QB's in 2021.  Smothers progresses to the point where he is clearly better than Luke, and the better option at QB after Adrian/Milton.  Luke is willing to accept a role as another position at NU, as WR-type player is the best option at making the NFL.     

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

I think if you can upgrade a position it is a no brainer. We have brought in grad transfers at other positions and I dont remember people worrying about the other guys on the team having hurt feelings because we brought in a guy with 1 year left. If Logan is a DUDE he will earn his spot on the depth chart. So will Luke, so will Adrian. No one gets promised a starting spot. Top kids go to top schools all the time knowing they are going to have to compete against other kids who were equally rated or higher rated coming out of high school. If you have kids who are afraid to compete then they are not what we need to be building around as it is. If Adrian loses to Milton and transfers so be it. Glad we got Milton then because he was better. LSU won a national championship because of Burrow. Do you think they regret that now because maybe they lost a transfer QB? No. 

Osborne let Frost come back. Was he worried about the mental psyche of his backups? No- he saw a talented kid who could help the team. End of Story. 

• Plus1 1

I have something I don't really understand. Many if not most on here feel Martinez has digressed and is not the answer at QB. Most seem to realize Luke is a great athlete and you should want him on the team in some capacity but maybe not QB. I think we all hope and think Smothers is probably the future- but he hasn't proven anything in college. Milton has proven it on this stage and with Frost's offense. Why the hesitancy. Its like some are afraid to lose QB's who are not getting it done.

Yes I get the Oline and WR's not helping. You would hope next year we should be able to not have walk ons and play our scholarships receivers. Maybe Fidone is on the field. Another year of oline growth for benhart, corcoran, piper and the likes.

• Plus1 4

I don't think the Milton situation is anywhere close to Osborne bringing back Frost in the spring of '95.  The emergence of Tommie Frazier caused many of his backups to transfer away/change positions, with only Berringer remaining.  Those two were graduating seniors in '95, so Frost sliding into the starting role in '96 was natural because the only other QB's on the roster were Turman, a former walk-on, and Frankie London, who was a young freshman at the time.  The QB room was pretty barren when Frost joined the team.