Does Frost go after Milton?

jjk0091

"@Hilltop so Frost will look around his offensive meeting room and say “our oline sucks, we have no running game, no WRs - I’m not even gonna bother bringing in an elite QB”. We need better players, we need to win games, just cause we have issues on offense line, RB and WR doesn’t mean we should stop trying to upgrade talent elsewhere. 

And to the attrition point, You said this about Fleming earlier in the week.

“Entitled mentalities can ruin team chemistry.  I won't lose a bit if sleep about them being gone.”

Why would you be worried about players leaving who feel entitled to the starting QB role?" 

For starters, there is absolutely nothing pointing to MM being an upgrade.  This is a player that most thought would never play the game again due to a horrific injury.  It would be a complete gamble for any team to take him.  

I would be worried because our current QBs have demonstrated they do not have an entitled mentality.  Best example, watch Adrian's pregame speech before we played Illinois.  This was right after the kid was benched.  He is a team player that cares- big difference between him and Fleming.  

I also believe that we have a good QB room.  Put Adrian in the 2017 UCF offense and tell me he wouldn't have looked amazing.  Receivers were running wide open all over the field and the running game was clicking...  I believe our path to success here is going to be dependent on the development of the entire roster- not by injecting one used to be great player who has no chemistry with the team.    

• Plus1 1

First and foremost, I understand the excitement given the current state of this program.  We are all looking for a football messiah to change this program's fortunes.   Having said that, our situation will not change significantly with the addition of one player.  The turnovers, penalties and mental mistakes that plague this program will not disappear with this addition.  Fix the fundamentals and we will return to competitiveness.

Incidentally, how did Sam Keller turn out for NU?   

• Plus1 1

We should 100% make a move.  Best case we get an upgrade at the QB position- someone who knows this offense and staff well and has executed it well on the field before.

Worst case: We add a high character guy to the qb room to push AM, LM, Smothers, and help them become better players.  

There are countless quotes out there from Frosty and staff saying they have a spot open for this guy when he wants to start his coaching career.  This seems like too many win wins for both parties for this not to happen.

For Milton, if he cant come in here and win the QB job then the writing's probably on the wall he aint winning many other jobs he would want.  Why not come to a coach/staff/scheme you're familiar with both on the field and off the field wise.

• Plus1 1

I think it would be really cool if he transferred here even if only based on Frost sort of being the guy that discovered his talent, combined with his terrible injury/prognosis originally. His story of coming back into football shape after that injury is amazing - the kid is obviously a fighter on a whole other level.

However, I wonder if a big part of the problem is the issue of where scholarship limits sit for next year because of COVID. Will they raise the limit for just next year, or keep it at 85?

That might be one of the bigger issues. We obviously suck on offense and need any help that anybody - player or coach - can provide. But what if his transfer prevents us from snagging some other big young prospect because of the 85 limit/COVID situation with other seniors that might stick around?

@Xmas32 I will always welcome a dynamic playcaller to the mix.  I just know that the depth and breadth of our problems are such that 1 player will not alter our course.  We witnessed what the addition of a Frazier meant to a 9 win team (National Championships) or even a Mahomes to a perennial playoff team in Kansas City. 

That said, those teams were already fundamentally sound and had strong foundations.

The foundation for this team may have been poured, but it remains structurally unsound.

Believe me, I would love a quick fix, but it just seems like we are whistling past the graveyard if we place our hopes for next year in an offseason transfer.

@gobiggergoredder Tell me about it. Last 2 seasons combined our QBs have thrown 14 TDs and 15 INTs, and we're gonna say no to a kid whose ceiling is being in NYC for the Heisman ceremony? Throw in the fact he sounds like a stand up kid/awesome teammate, and had a ton of success in Frost's offense. I get we have other areas of need, but that's not a reason to say no to upgrading the QB room.

• Fire 2