Looking at Loss #19

Mavric

@BIG ERN I dont think he has any pressure to win here. Ive never seen the fanbase so disinterested in the football team before in my life. It used to ruin my whole day when we would lose now I expect it and go on with my life. Ill guarantee Im not the only one who feels that way. There has never been less pressure on a coach to win at Nebraska before because people just dont really care anymore. They have accepted the fact we are the armpit of the big ten and it will probably stay that way for awhile. 

@Frott ScostCan't say you're wrong. I feel the same way. I will still watch, but my expectations are way down.  If we lose, I go on as if nothing happened.  Like most games the past X years, (even into Bo's years) I waited for the shoe to drop.  For the wheels to fall off.  The team plays the same way.  TIGHT.  Just waiting for the mistake that is sure to come....Then realizing they haven't found the way to put the L's into the W column.  Year 3 and IMHO no closer....

In reality, this season with the 12 game schedule, most had us going 4-8/5-7.......We just have a long ways to go.....Longer than most thought.  I think we have the talent, the recruits etc....There is just a disconnect between the staff/players/Sat game day vs the Sun-Fri practices....

• Plus1 1

Lo country. I just saw a segment on BTN pregame and they said similar things. They seem perplexed because they said they have been on campus in springs, summers and falls and we have impressive talent on our team consistently but it is not translating to games. They said we have everything we need to succeed, facilities- player support etc. But we don’t win games 

• Plus1 1

@BIG ERN Actually I sit in a recliner but Im not sure where I sit during a game has anything to do with what I said. I was talking in terms of pressure from fans, not the pressure he puts on himself. Fans will not call for his head like they have past coaches because many of us just dont really care anymore and have accepted the fact we permanently stink now. 

@Fru Scott won his 11th game yesterday. Interestingly enough Kirk Ferentz and Barry Alvarez both had 11 wins 3 years in. 

Overall record three years in Barry was 11-22. Kirk was 11-24. Scott is 11-19 so far.

Yeah well, did those 2 coaches have to play Wisconsin and Iowa every year?  Exactly. 

Did they even play Ohio State, NW, and the Michigans?  What about Purdue and Illinois?  I mean, it's not like they got it as bad as Frost does. 

• Plus1 2

But there’s one measurement — the most important one — that stands out like a flashing light.

How many games did they coach at Nebraska before reaching the 19th loss?

Solich: 76

Callahan: 45

Pelini: 67

Riley: 38

Frost: 29

So, if Nebraska wins the next 46 games straight, Frost will be just one behind  Solich. I’m cool with that.  

• Haha 1

@FruInteresting stats/insight - thanks for providing. Provides a glimmer of hope for what has been a tough road.

I'd be curious to know what level of talent Kirk and Barry were dealing with around those times. I don't think recruiting rankings were near as big as they are now, but I would estimate that Wisconsin and Iowa didn't have particularly good rosters early in their tenures. That's what makes some of Nebraska's struggles so baffling... just because the on-paper 'talent' at NU is really quite good.