Champions Week

If we beat Minny, which seems doable, and then win the cross conference matchup we are bowl eligible yes?

I want us to pair up with whomever we have the best chance to beat and go to a bowl game.

I we somehow finished 5-4 after how awful this year has felt, I think we'd have to call that improvement, wouldn't we? And as others have stated, the bowl practices are important.

Saw this on Twitter (from Parker Gabriel of the LJS), but I can't figure out how to copy and paste tweets into this site.  Minnesota wants to play Wisconsin in week 9, because their game earlier this season was canceled due to COVID.  Maryland and Michigan State are two East Division teams who had their game canceled earlier this season.  With NU having played Ohio State and Penn State, that would leave Rutgers or Michigan as logical options for NU's opponent.

• Plus1 1
Just now, KCBuc said:

After watching NU get destroyed by Illinois, I’m having  a hard time imagining them winning three games in a row to get to a bowl game. 

If they do and I am on the bowl committee, I’m selecting NU just for the butts in the seats. 

So you focus on the bad, ignore the good and expect more bad results.

Seems legit.

• Plus1 4

Just now, KCBuc said:

If they do and I am on the bowl committee, I’m selecting NU just for the butts in the seats. 

That and viewers on TV is all they care about. If we win the next 2 (and more bowls aren't cancelled), we'll get a bowl game. The weird thing is it won't be that many more practices - normally we're talking the whole month of December for extra practice, but we already get through the 19th. Not sure what the exact bowl schedule looks like, but it's probably an extra week or so. I definitely want another game because the game reps are important, but IMO the biggest benefit most years is a couple extra weeks of practice and that's not the case here.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

That and viewers on TV is all they care about. If we win the next 2 (and more bowls aren't cancelled), we'll get a bowl game. The weird thing is it won't be that many more practices - normally we're talking the whole month of December for extra practice, but we already get through the 19th. Not sure what the exact bowl schedule looks like, but it's probably an extra week or so. I definitely want another game because the game reps are important, but IMO the biggest benefit most years is a couple extra weeks of practice and that's not the case here.

"Butts in seats" would have to depend where we play, right? If it's in California, like the Holiday Bowl, there wouldn't be any fans in attendance. I think we could fill a stadium in Florida for, like, the Gator Bowl. 

But I agree, we definitely need the practices. And a full spring of practice.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Like you said, any practice would be helpful.

But "IF" the Huskers were to string together 4 wins in a row to finish 5-4, it would be huge momentum going into next year.  I think that would be much more valuable than any extra practices.  

It would be awesome if this team is sitting at 5 wins at the end of the month, but it won't be an easy task as we've seen.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"Butts in seats" would have to depend where we play, right? If it's in California, like the Holiday Bowl, there wouldn't be any fans in attendance. I think we could fill a stadium in Florida for, like, the Gator Bowl. 

But I agree, we definitely need the practices. And a full spring of practice.  

Do we even know how many additional practices NU would gain from a bowl?  It's not like a normal year, where the team would be gaining practices for all of December.  If anything, the team may just get a handful of practices at the bowl site.

16 hours ago, Toe said:

@TGHusker Exactly. Forget this season's ultimate win/loss record or who we play. Right now, just getting those extra bowl practices probably matters more than anything else.

Completely agree with this sentiment.  9 penalties for more than 100 yards this past week.  While I am pleased that we put one in the win column, it was largely because we encountered an opponent more undisciplined than us (Purdue had 11 penalties and a blocked kick).  We will not win many more with statistics like this. 

Bowl practices could help us clean some of this up.  Again, we need to stress the fundamentals in order to truly turn this program around.