What is the future of the Republican Party?

The future of the GOP - powerless outside of the SC and state govts.    It will remain so until they rebuild under totally new leadership and policies.

https://www.axios.com/republicans-no-power-politics-tech-business-12520c79-a3dc-4228-a296-df36e9eb3570.html

Republicans are losing power where power matters most at the national level: in politics, media, technology and the workplace.

Why it matters: Republicans often felt mistreated when they had real power in the form of the presidency and Senate. Watch Fox News or listen to Ben Shapiro, and you will see and hear how this new isolation will feed Republican worries and grievances in the months ahead.

• Tucker Carlson warned on Fox: "Tens of millions of Americans have no chance — they’re about to be crushed by the ascendant left."

Democrats will soon control the White House, Senate and House. They already dominate most mainstream newsrooms, own Big Tech companies, and often band together inside corporations to force politically motivated decisions.

• Republicans will be left with Mitch McConnell as party leader of a 50-50 Senate, prime time on Fox News and The Wall Street Journal editorial page.
  • Most importantly, the right has the Supreme Court, which might prove to be the one reliable counterbalance, and the majority of power at the state level.

Conservatives long ago lost so many key institutions that define the national conversation, including culture, media and higher education.

• But since 1980, the party had political power and policy-making capability.

Now, President Trump has cost Republicans those tools, and the party will have to rebuild around new people and ideas.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I get the point of what Bill is trying to get across.  I wonder if he is the best messenger? My Memory isn’t always the best, but wasn’t he one of the biggest defenders of the War in Iraq and justifying some of the lies, conspiracies about WMD’s and Bush nation building policies that got us into that quagmire?  

Might have been other people but his name comes to mind. 

If you're trying to discredit the credentials of Bill Kristol by pointing out his complicity in previously horrible Republican policies, you join many stalwart Progressives. You're moral consistency is appreciated, comrade.

Either that or you're trying to dilute criticism of Trump with a passive/aggressive distraction. ( i.e. your memory is fine.  You know exactly who Kristol is. You're on a first name basis with the man, after all.) 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Economics shows that the cost of doing business in California is largely influenced by free market supply and demand. Taxes are definitely a consideration. Regulations less so, especially in tech. The main reason for relocating from California is the high housing costs that require you to pay higher employer salaries. Those high costs continue to be driven by the number of people who want to live in California. For 30 years they've sounded the death knell for California as business flees for cheaper pastures, but at the end of the day the state is still thriving, the sixth largest economy in the world, a diversified global leader in tech, agriculture, entertainment, and aerospace, generating the huge surpluses that make up for the whiny teat-sucking Red States. 

Believe me, California is far from idyllic. But for every citizen or company that abandons it, there's somebody to replace them. And when those next generation companies flee to other states, they still hire next generation employees who value social justice and community as much or more as their salary (that's a fact.)  It's really a better model for living and shouldn't frighten you. Democrats still like money, and they're very good at earning it. 

Tell you what: I'll take the four bluest of blue states: California, New York, Illinois and Washington. You can have the remaining 46: including the low tax, regulation-hating, business-on-a-platter states and we'll see how the free market money flows. We can wait a couple years for Texas to join the party. 

Weather.

Awesome Weather.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Economics shows that the cost of doing business in California is largely influenced by free market supply and demand. Taxes are definitely a consideration. Regulations less so, especially in tech. The main reason for relocating from California is the high housing costs that require you to pay higher employer salaries. Those high costs continue to be driven by the number of people who want to live in California. For 30 years they've sounded the death knell for California as business flees for cheaper pastures, but at the end of the day the state is still thriving, the sixth largest economy in the world, a diversified global leader in tech, agriculture, entertainment, and aerospace, generating the huge surpluses that make up for the whiny teat-sucking Red States. 

Believe me, California is far from idyllic. But for every citizen or company that abandons it, there's somebody to replace them. And when those next generation companies flee to other states, they still hire next generation employees who value social justice and community as much or more as their salary (that's a fact.)  It's really a better model for living and shouldn't frighten you. Democrats still like money, and they're very good at earning it. 

Tell you what: I'll take the four bluest of blue states: California, New York, Illinois and Washington. You can have the remaining 46: including the low tax, regulation-hating, business-on-a-platter states and we'll see how the free market money flows. We can wait a couple years for Texas to join the party. 

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/01/06/california-exodus-top-5-largest-outbound-migration/

The four bluest states in 2016 were Vermont, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Rhode Island. 

2020: Hawaii, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts.  

By Partisan Voting Index..Hawaii, Vermont, CA,  Maryland, Massachusetts, then NY. 

New York depends on the financial sector.  Ten years from now it will be interesting to see what has transpired with the financial sector.  Deutsche Bank is the test case that NY hopes fails.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Weather.

Awesome Weather.

It plummeted to 52 degrees yesterday and I had to wear a light jacket to walk the dog.

Although it did warm up enough for me to tie the jacket around my waist. 

But I will guarantee that our Northern California house is colder than your house in Nebraska, because there's nothing but single pane windows, zero insulation walls, and drafty garages to preserve the chill. The central heating just laughs at me. 

I wear a light jacket inside, too 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

It plummeted to 52 degrees yesterday and I had to wear a light jacket to walk the dog.

Although it did warm up enough for me to tie the jacket around my waist. 

But I will guarantee that our Northern California house is colder than your house in Nebraska, because there's nothing but single pane windows, zero insulation walls, and drafty garages to preserve the chill. The central heating just laughs at me. 

I wear a light jacket inside, too 

Ahhh, well, I live in a Celebrity Home, so my windows are actually Swiss Cheese.  

Anyone else that lives in a Celebrity or Hearthstone home can tell you the same.

• Haha 1

Alright since this thread is actually titled, "What is the future of the republican party," I'm going to put this out there. History already has a direct analogy for what happens when and incredibly popular candidate gets disowned by their party. --- If Trump is still alive, I could see this playing out almost exactly between Trump/ Pence. 

As a member of the Republican Party, Roosevelt had served as president from 1901 to 1909, becoming increasingly progressive in the later years of his presidency. In the 1908 presidential election, Roosevelt helped ensure that he would be succeeded by Secretary of War Taft. Although Taft entered office determined to advance Roosevelt's Square Deal domestic agenda, he stumbled badly during the Payne–Aldrich Tariff Act debate and the Pinchot–Ballinger controversy. The political fallout of these events divided the Republican Party and alienated Roosevelt from his former friend.[3]

At the 1912 Republican National Convention, Taft narrowly defeated Roosevelt for the party's presidential nomination. After the convention, Roosevelt, Frank Munsey, George Walbridge Perkins and other progressive Republicans established the Progressive Party and nominated a ticket of Roosevelt and Hiram Johnson of California at the 1912 Progressive National Convention. The new party attracted several Republican officeholders, although nearly all of them remained loyal to the Republican Party—in California, Johnson and the Progressives took control of the Republican Party.

In the 1912 election, Roosevelt won 27.4% of the popular vote compared to Taft's 23.2%, making Roosevelt the only third party presidential nominee to finish with a higher share of the popular vote than a major party's presidential nominee. Both Taft and Roosevelt finished behind Democratic nominee Woodrow Wilson, who won 41.8% of the popular vote and the vast majority of the electoral vote.