What is the future of the Republican Party?

The assumption in this thread that someone is going to be tied to a single job/career path is interesting, as is the thought process that less education is somehow acceptable. Schools should be offering much more in terms of career, technical and vocational education and training, but as a part of a well-rounded education, not in place of it. 

Also, be mindful that in order to offer this type of well-rounded education, this proper education, that public education should be funded fully as such. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

While I appreciate the education discussion, can we move it to another thread?

@Born N Bled Red

@Archy1221

Doesn't bother me... the education discussion has been happening in this thread for multiple days now, and has involved far more than Archy1221 and I.  I just joined in this morning. If mods would like to move the convo, they are welcome.

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

The assumption in this thread that someone is going to be tied to a single job/career path is interesting, as is the thought process that less education is somehow acceptable. Schools should be offering much more in terms of career, technical and vocational education and training, but as a part of a well-rounded education, not in place of it. 

Also, be mindful that in order to offer this type of well-rounded education, this proper education, that public education should be funded fully as such. 

This is probably a better way of explaining my plan.

Basically, make sure kids have enough education to get them going in life if they choose to "drop out" at 16 years old.  But invest to make the final two years of high school much more rigorous and truly set kids up for whatever path they choose.

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think the simple take-away from the idea of "split kids after 10th grade" is that that's where some kids' education would end. Post-secondary education doesn't have to start the summer after High School. I didn't get my post-secondary degree until my late 20s. 

Kids have different paths, and are ready for different things at different times in their lives. Just because a kid attends a trade school at 17 doesn't mean they can't get further degrees later in life. 

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I hear this a lot What does this actually mean?  Who decides what fully funded means?  What dollar amount per pupil constitutes fully funded?  

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.  I guess I don't see that in our town which has a lot of hispanic immigrants with children in the school system.  It sure seems like every year, many of the best students in the graduating class are hispanic decent.

It seems like around here, the hispanic parents know how hard they had to work to get here and provide for their families that they push their kids to make the best of it.

Class size probably makes a difference. Not sure where you are at, but the school(s) I am talking about have 600+ kids in every class. There are roughly 2400 kids at our largest school. 

We definitely have high achievers of Latino, and Asian, and African heritage. But, even if it is only 20% that underachieve, we are talking about 125 kids...every class...every year.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Start with "more than now", and go from there. 

Shoulda assumed that would be the response.  “Fully funded” is just a tag line that doesn’t really mean anything to those that say it.  

Let’s just add a $1 to the budget and call it good then I guess

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Shoulda assumed that would be the response.  “Fully funded” is just a tag line that doesn’t really mean anything to those that say it.  

Let’s just add a $1 to the budget and call it good then I guess

If you want a number, fine: using the 2020 budget, take 10% out of the defense budget and add it to the education budget. There's your starting point. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If you want a number, fine: using the 2020 budget, take 10% out of the defense budget and add it to the education budget. There's your starting point. 

So we are $1,300 per pupil away from having a world class k-12 education system across the entire country. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So we are $1,300 per pupil away from having a world class k-12 education system across the entire country. 

36 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Also, you aren't very good at the Socratic Method. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And therein lies the problem. If that amount doesn’t help, give us more, and more, and more instead of trying to fix the underlying problems.  There is never enough money to spend.  

Hell, why not just dissolve the defense department all together, spend an additional $740 billion per year and just imagine how smart everyone would be cause of all that money.   

Or we could figure out why the money we do spend on education works in one school district and not another.  

• Plus1 1