What is the future of the Republican Party?

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why do I imagine "rebuilding the Republican Party" to exist entirely of ferreting out the members who weren't loyal enough to Trump? 

I can't think of a single policy issue where these people substantially disagree.

It's a cult of personality at this point. 

IMO all it's primarily doing is causing a fission among R's and submarining their chances of winning the White House in 2024.

It wasn't too long ago that Democrats were having to do some self-searching about their party (particularly after the presidential loss in 2016). What's happening inside of the Republican party right now makes that look like child's play. And nobody seems to know what the right move is. Ostracize Trump and maybe you jettison your political career into space. Align with him and you're seen as a knee-bending pleb that buys into nonsense.

I think the country and the world would be in a much better place if Elon gave Trump a first-class ticket to Mars.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why do I imagine "rebuilding the Republican Party" to exist entirely of ferreting out the members who weren't loyal enough to Trump? 

I can't think of a single policy issue where these people substantially disagree.

It's a cult of personality at this point. 

Exhibit A: Ben Sasse

He voted with Trump like 98% percent of the time...

9 hours ago, funhusker said:

Exhibit A: Ben Sasse

He voted with Trump like 98% percent of the time...

Sasse is one of the most conservative Senators when it comes to voting record. He didn't necessarily vote "with Trump" but rather "for conservative positions."

And yet, because he voted to convict in the latest impeachment, the NE GOP is calling for his censure. I was thrilled he did so, even knowing the sh*tshow that would fall on him because of that vote. 

The most vocal/visible Rs are in the Trump Cult for sure. But there are millions of non vocal/visible conservatives that back Sasse (and Romney etc)

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Sasse is one of the most conservative Senators when it comes to voting record. He didn't necessarily vote "with Trump" but rather "for conservative positions."

And yet, because he voted to convict in the latest impeachment, the NE GOP is calling for his censure. I was thrilled he did so, even knowing the sh*tshow that would fall on him because of that vote. 

The most vocal/visible Rs are in the Trump Cult for sure. But there are millions of non vocal/visible conservatives that back Sasse (and Romney etc)

Personally I could see a scenario where Sasse realizing that in order to advance in GOP politics, he's got to kiss Trump's a$$ (even if he's reliably conservative which is what he originally thought the party was about) and he decides to just do what he wants for now and bail for the private sector ASAP. Or maybe he'll be a Romney where he's in a unique position and strong enough in his own state that he can be a bit of a maverick - if he's fine topping out at senator or possibly governor.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Personally I could see a scenario where Sasse realizing that in order to advance in GOP politics, he's got to kiss Trump's a$$ (even if he's reliably conservative which is what he originally thought the party was about) and he decides to just do what he wants for now and bail for the private sector ASAP. Or maybe he'll be a Romney where he's in a unique position and strong enough in his own state that he can be a bit of a maverick - if he's fine topping out at senator or possibly governor.

I fervently hope that as time passes, the Trump Train riders will dwindle in number, and Rs like Sasse and Romney will be able to coalesce into a Republican party that I could again want to be a part of. 

31 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The party continues to revolve around Trump. The R's who are convinced he's finished after the latest impeachment are fooling themselves.

Absolutely bizarre. I struggle to understand the mind of the person that still applauds and appreciates this man, even if he pushes policies that align with their viewpoints. At some point, I would think other qualities like character, honesty and respect would matter. Not to mention letting results speak for themselves. I won't be so bold as to say Trump did nothing positive for the country during four years, but objectively speaking, he failed in a lot of key areas and didn't meet several of his most important campaign policies. Just strange.

• Plus1 2