What is the future of the Republican Party?

31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Absolutely bizarre. I struggle to understand the mind of the person that still applauds and appreciates this man, even if he pushes policies that align with their viewpoints. At some point, I would think other qualities like character, honesty and respect would matter. Not to mention letting results speak for themselves. I won't be so bold as to say Trump did nothing positive for the country during four years, but objectively speaking, he failed in a lot of key areas and didn't meet several of his most important campaign policies. Just strange.

He's like a virus.

He co-opted their political priorities and pushed them as he deemed convenient to coalesce their support. And of course he did accomplish a few things with his keystone achievement being the one area they all agree on. But he largely failed to make many substantial improvement or even progress toward his stated goals because of his personal failings and character flaws.

Yet his superfans remain and enough of the "other" Republicans support or at least tolerate him that he remains singularly the most powerful person and de facto head of the party.

We will see how it shakes out. Many have said it but the scarier proposition is someone who understands GOP voters as Trump does but is competent.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Sasse is one of the most conservative Senators when it comes to voting record. He didn't necessarily vote "with Trump" but rather "for conservative positions."

And yet, because he voted to convict in the latest impeachment, the NE GOP is calling for his censure. I was thrilled he did so, even knowing the sh*tshow that would fall on him because of that vote. 

The most vocal/visible Rs are in the Trump Cult for sure. But there are millions of non vocal/visible conservatives that back Sasse (and Romney etc)

100% agree. I'm now more likely to vote for Sasse in 2026.

I'd label myself moderate, but I refuse to vote for anyone that actually thinks Trump's "personality" is good for governance.  Sadly that rules out most of the GOP in NE.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn’t Evan run in the 2016 election and finish behind Mickey Mouse in the final numbers.  I don’t think too many Republicans really care what he thinks at this point.  

Yes, Evan ran on principle and integrity.  So I guess you're right: Republicans wouldn't care about him at this point. 

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So big red buster is claiming Adam Kinzingers family is loyal to Kim Jung?  Wowzer!!  That’s not good for them. 

Many folks use "Dear Leader" to refer to Trump because his fondness for the dictatorial stylings of North Korea's dictator is pretty darn unusual for an American President. 

Trump gloats about the half-dozen or so letters Kim has written him as if he were a smitten teenager in possession of valentines from a crush. White House officials refer to the diplomatic correspondence jokingly as “love letters.” Kim addresses Trump as “Your Excellency” and employs flowery language to describe the president’s energy and political smarts, according to people who have read them. Trump has shown the documents to dozens of Oval Office visitors and bragged about them in public.

“He wrote me beautiful letters, and they’re great letters,” Trump said at a September rally in West Virginia. “We fell in love.”

• Plus1 3

I guess I don't look at it as what the future of the R's are...but more what the next four years will look like with Biden.

If things go smoothly (Which I would imagine they will) and if things sort of go back to "the middle" (Which I imagine they will) and if things just start to get normal (no more masks, schools being closed, businesses being closed, that kind of stuff),then I think the the immediate future for the R's will be poor at best.

If things suck while Biden is in charge, it will open a lot of doors,

99% of people want to be left alone, they want to just worry about their lives and family and friends.  They just want "normal" everyday lives.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I fervently hope that as time passes, the Trump Train riders will dwindle in number, and Rs like Sasse and Romney will be able to coalesce into a Republican party that I could again want to be a part of. 

I can't imagine ever being actually registered to a party again.  But, at least maybe they could get back to a point where I will be OK voting for one again.

Right now, I refuse to vote for anyone who has the stink of Trump on them.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1