What is the future of the Republican Party?

49 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Well I can’t wait to see her run for Senate or President then and easily win the nomination.  (Hint) she won’t and only idiots think she ever could have a chance. 

No one would have predicted that a candidate who said and did what Donald Trump said and did could ever be elected President of the United States. Then having revealed himself to be even more vindictive and disturbing as President, convince 10 million additional Americans to vote for him in 2020.

In the window between the November election and the January 6 fallout, prominent Republicans clearly distanced themselves from Donald Trump and the fomenting Conspiracy Wing, only to discover that the voter base remained Trump loyalists. As someone just pointed out, the party is officially losing its s#!t about Lynn Cheney and Mitt Romney, and strangely willing to ride the crazy train with MTG, Matt Gaetz and Calamity Bobert. 

Does anyone think a moderate Republican stands a chance for the GOPs  2024 nomination?  Or that a Greene is more at risk to be primaried than a RINO?

I don't know why you have such a hard time admitting you're on the morally bankrupt side of history. 

• Plus1 5

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No one would have predicted that a candidate who said and did what Donald Trump said and did could ever be elected President of the United States. Then having revealed himself to be even more vindictive and disturbing as President, convince 10 million additional Americans to vote for him in 2020.

In the window between the November election and the January 6 fallout, prominent Republicans clearly distanced themselves from Donald Trump and the fomenting Conspiracy Wing, only to discover that the voter base remained Trump loyalists. As someone just pointed out, the party is officially losing its s#!t about Lynn Cheney and Mitt Romney, and strangely willing to ride the crazy train with MTG, Matt Gaetz and Calamity Bobert. 

Does anyone think a moderate Republican stands a chance for the GOPs  2024 nomination?  Or that a Greene is more at risk to be primaried than a RINO?

I don't know why you have such a hard time admitting you're on the morally bankrupt side of history. 

Admitting something like that would be untrue.  You understand I can’t admit to falsehoods.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Exactly. Your inability to admit to falsehoods is the root of the problem.

My ability to not agree to falsehoods you put out is what’s pains you so much.  I get why you try but it just doesn’t seem to work out well in the end.  

I find it interesting you don’t point any specifics out.   It’s always just a generalization of “Archy doesn’t believe the nonsense I post so he can’t admit to lies/falsehoods”.   Really doesn’t help move along any conversations.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then explain this.

“Finish the dang fence” McCain was basically a shape shifting Republican who did whatever he could to be liked by the established Washington class and the media.  He was basically a war supporting Democratic many years of his reign. 

Boebert is laughed at and not worth the time. Trump isn’t in office anymore and after 2022 will be largely irrelevant especially when he isn’t the 2024 nominee.  Romney is McCain lite without the war background.  He will shift opinions with the wind depending on how it looks with the established political class.  If he had more of a spine, he would have been a decent politician.   He should have beaten Obama, but Obama crushed him because Obama was a tough politician who knew what it took to win.  Romney wants to be liked more by the chattering class than actually win. Amash is a poor mans Rand Paul,  nothing against him.  He left the party, the party didn’t boot him.  Liz is on borrowed time.   Pretty much all the words she deserves.  She got carried up by daddy and now that his stature is fading, so will she.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

How does Republican leadership, the ones who aren’t stupid, not see the damage they are doing and put a stop to it? Autocracy isn’t going to work out well for many of them. 

As mentioned, several prominent Republicans stepped up to concede the validity of the election results and try to shut down the fraud and conspiracy bandwagon. Then their home offices started relaying the death threats and emails they were getting from the actual voters, who took a page from their leader and declared any criticism to be disloyalty. The danger to the party is losing voters, and at the moment the quickest path to losing voters is to tell them to stop believing the lies. 

Agree that it's probably not going to work out for them. I'm certain the not stupid ones gather in private and shake their heads. There's not a good strategy at the moment. Unfortunately autocracy feeds on inaction. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

“Finish the dang fence” McCain was basically a shape shifting Republican who did whatever he could to be liked by the established Washington class and the media.  He was basically a war supporting Democratic many years of his reign. 

Boebert is laughed at and not worth the time. Trump isn’t in office anymore and after 2022 will be largely irrelevant especially when he isn’t the 2024 nominee.  Romney is McCain lite without the war background.  He will shift opinions with the wind depending on how it looks with the established political class.  If he had more of a spine, he would have been a decent politician.   He should have beaten Obama, but Obama crushed him because Obama was a tough politician who knew what it took to win.  Romney wants to be liked more by the chattering class than actually win. Amash is a poor mans Rand Paul,  nothing against him.  He left the party, the party didn’t boot him.  Liz is on borrowed time.   Pretty much all the words she deserves.  She got carried up by daddy and now that his stature is fading, so will she.  

Say what you will, Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney made themselves hugely unpopular with their own party — like censure and death threat unpopular —  and will never be embraced politically by the liberals,, who at most appreciate them for taking an extremely obvious moral stand.  So that's not really "shifting winds" or "daddy's little girl" or "playing to the chattering class" stuff, Archy. It's people risking their very standing in order to do the right thing.

Funny how that ruffles folks like you. 

• Plus1 4