What is the future of the Republican Party?

And If Cheney and others can't restore the GOP, there is plan B as noted below.  Liz may end up being more consequential than her dad.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/553037-dozens-of-influential-republicans-threaten-to-form-new-party

Dozens of Republicans are planning to call for reforms amid escalating divisions within their party and are threatening to form a separate group if GOP members do not break away from former President Trump

The more than 100 former Republican officials are expected to release their demands in a letter on Thursday titled "A Call For American Renewal," according to plans shared with Reuters and later reported by NBC News

The letter states that Republicans must "either reimagine a party dedicated to our founding ideals or else hasten the creation of such an alternative,” according to NBC News.

It also includes 13 principles that signatories hope for the GOP to adopt, though details have not yet been released. 

One of the organizers of the effort is Miles Taylor, the former Trump administration official who last year revealed that he penned the initially anonymous 2018 New York Times op-ed titled "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration."

"The Republican Party is broken. It's time for a resistance of the 'rationals' against the 'radicals,'" Taylor told Reuters, referring to those in the party who still faithfully align themselves with Trump. 

Taylor also told NBC News that the letter is “one last chance” for the GOP “to get its act together and moderate” but added, “We're not going to hold our breath.” 

“We're ready to get out there and fight against the radical elements in the party to try to excise those elements from within the GOP and our national politics and to try to invest in the deeper pro-democracy bench,” he said

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's just so hard to argue against trump being the future - and eventual destruction - of the republican party. 

They are all in for this guy. Logic be damned, dissent must be canceled. 

It is absolutely amazing to watch the Republican party turn into a party that in essence, wants Trump as king.  It's disgusting how leadership of the party is so tied up with him.

15 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And If Cheney and others can't restore the GOP, there is plan B as noted below.  Liz may end up being more consequential than her dad.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/553037-dozens-of-influential-republicans-threaten-to-form-new-party

Bring it on.  Let's see the destruction of the Republican party and something new and better rise from the ashes.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It is absolutely amazing to watch the Republican party turn into a party that in essence, wants Trump as king.  It's disgusting how leadership of the party is so tied up with him.

Bring it on.  Let's see the destruction of the Republican party and something new and better rise from the ashes.

It's also astonishing to see them tie themselves to a guy who has destroyed virtually everything he has touched and the people around him.  It's as if they don't believe in patterns and that history will repeat itself.  The concern is that he'll also destroy the country in the process.   Think of it....over Donald Trump

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The neocons are not new nor better 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

It's also astonishing to see them tie themselves to a guy who has destroyed virtually everything he has touched and the people around him.  It's as if they don't believe in patterns and that history will repeat itself.  The concern is that he'll also destroy the country in the process.   Think of it....over Donald Trump

Makes you wonder what leverage he has over them. Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio & Lindsay Graham were staunchly anti-trump, but now they're just lapdogs doing his bidding. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Ilahn Omar is right. Cheney being ousted by the Republicans is bad, but Cheney is no saint. 

E1MMQDfXoAIDsPS?format=jpg&name=orig

Which is more proof that this is all about her criticism of Dear Leader and not policy issues.

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not better than Trump and people like Gaetz and Greene?  :laughpound

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Which is more proof that this is all about her criticism of Dear Leader and not policy issues.

Not better than Trump and people like Gaetz and Greene?  :laughpound

Trump has an influence for sure in the party, Gaetz and Greene do not which you know.  They have influence with a subset of voters.  

You would most likely be happy I guess going back to days of nation building and war mongering since that’s who you want back in charge. :bang

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You would most likely be happy I guess going back to days of nation building and war mongering since that’s who you want back in charge. :bang

It's not that I want Neo-Cons back in charge. I don't want to get into endless budget breaking wars. The issue is she is being ousted for not being loyal to a figure head, not conservative ideals. And that's the danger in it all. 

• Plus1 7
59 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Makes you wonder what leverage he has over them. Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio & Lindsay Graham were staunchly anti-trump, but now they're just lapdogs doing his bidding. 

My thoughts exactly. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Who said we want the neocons.  But even at that, we can't get much worse than the current group under Trump.

• Plus1 2

To be clear, I am not wishing this upon him but merely stating an observation. In my opinion, at this point, Trump succumbing to old age and the fate that non of us can escape is likely the only thing that could change the current course of the Republican party. I do not believe that even conviction and jail sentences would lessen his control over the right wing at this point, as they will all be convinced its the deep state out to get him. A non-natural death, would also make him a martyr and further galvanize his core (though the infighting among lieutenants would still threaten to destroy the coalition." Really is crazy to think the party that called for term limits under FDR is so tied to this one man.