What is the future of the Republican Party?

Bill Barr says the future of the GOP is without Trump.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bill-barr-launches-blistering-attack-on-trump-in-new-book/ar-AAUnaav?ocid=entnewsntp

Former US attorney general Bill Barr has unleashed a volley of criticism at Donald Trump in his new book, saying the ex-president has “shown he has neither the temperament nor persuasive powers to provide the kind of positive leadership that is needed” and that the Republican party should move on from him.

In One Damn Thing After Another, Mr Barr writes that his former boss could have won the 2020 election if he had “just exercised a modicum of self-restraint, moderating even a little of his pettiness”,  

He also rejects Mr Trump’s so-called “Big Lie” that he was cheated out of election victory by fraud.

According to the Journal, Mr Barr writes: “The election was not ‘stolen’. Trump lost it.”

Before announcing that he was stepping down from his role early, in December 2020 – after Mr Trump’s election defeat but before the Capitol riot – the outgoing attorney general told the then-president that the Justice Department had seen no evidence of widespread fraud that could have affected the result of the election.

In his book, expected to be published on 8 March, Mr Barr recalls the reaction to his assessment. Mr Trump reportedly shouted: “This is killing me – killing me. This is pulling the rug right out from under me.”

“He stopped for a moment and then said, ‘You must hate Trump. You would only do this if you hate Trump.’”

Mr Barr then offered to resign. “Accepted!” Mr Trump yelled, banging his palm on the table. “‘Leave and don’t go back to your office. You are done right now. Go home!’” However, White House lawyers apparently persuaded Mr Trump not to accept the resignation offer.

As he has before, the two-time former attorney general – who also served under George HW Bush from 1991 to 1993 – blames Mr Trump for the Capitol riot on 6 January.

“The absurd lengths to which he took his ‘stolen election’ claim led to the rioting on Capitol Hill.”

Looking ahead, Mr Barr suggests the Republicans should look for a new leader ahead of the 2024 election. Mr Trump has repeatedly hinted that he may stand again.

Mr Barr reportedly writes that the GOP should turn its attention to “an impressive array of younger candidates” who share the former reality television presenter’s political priorities but not his “erratic personal behaviour”.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree because of this last statement.  

Mr Barr reportedly writes that the GOP should turn its attention to “an impressive array of younger candidates” who share the former reality television presenter’s political priorities but not his “erratic personal behaviour”.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, knapplc said:

Let's hold our breath until all the super serious P&R contributors say this is wrong.

I don't think we have a single P&R contributor who would openly endorse Trump for 2024, or attempt to apologize for MTG. 

If you want that kind of action, make a political post on the football thread. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree because of this last statement.  

Mr Barr reportedly writes that the GOP should turn its attention to “an impressive array of younger candidates” who share the former reality television presenter’s political priorities but not his “erratic personal behaviour”.

A smarter, less erratic candidate who shares Trump's political priorities is even more terrifying. 

Xenophobia, border walls, gutting regulation, undermining public education, f#&%ing the underclass, knee-capping social services, dog-whistling the white supremacists, dismantling democracy, and generally seeking revenge on your political adversaries without having any answers of your own.......yeah.  Donald Trump didn't invent those political priorities. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A smarter, less erratic candidate who shares Trump's political priorities is even more terrifying. 

Xenophobia, border walls, gutting regulation, undermining public education, f#&%ing the underclass, knee-capping social services, dog-whistling the white supremacists, dismantling democracy, and generally seeking revenge on your political adversaries without having any answers of your own.......yeah.  Donald Trump didn't invent those political priorities. 

Patrick Witt is running for Congress in Georgia. 

This is what I responded to.

Marjorie Taylor Greene now using her official USG congressional account to promote anti-Semitic, white supremacist, pro-Hitler, pro-Putin conference. This is a toxin in the bloodstream of America. It must stop.

This is what I said in response.

23 hours ago, knapplc said:

Let's hold our breath until all the super serious P&R contributors say this is wrong.

This is what you said in your quote.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think we have a single P&R contributor who would openly endorse Trump for 2024, or attempt to apologize for MTG. 

If you want that kind of action, make a political post on the football thread. 

I'm guessing you misquoted something. Care to try again?

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

...played one down in the 2009 Gator Bowl former Nebraska quarterback Patrick Witt?

Lied about turning down a Rhodes Scholarship interview so he could play fb for Yale (but it was disclosed he was never up for Rhodes due to a sexual assault case) Patrick Witt?

Color me shocked that he's a member of this GOP.

:sarcasm

• Plus1 4