What is the future of the Republican Party?

If you wonder why the GOP has had a dumbing down, only look at who they still support for president.  Example below.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-asked-whether-china-had-attacked-u-s-with-a-hurricane-gun-report/ar-AAX9EXK?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=39a58bd1250747c3a17bb43af416d780

Former President Donald Trump repeatedly pressed national security officials on whether China had a secret weapon to launch hurricanes at the United States while he was in office, three sources told Rolling Stone.

Trump repeatedly asked national security officials whether China had secret technology capable of creating a man-made hurricane, two former senior administration officials and another source briefed on the comments told the outlet. Trump also inquired whether such an attack would amount to an "act of war by a foreign power" and whether the U.S. could retaliate militarily, according to the report.

"It was almost too stupid for words," a former administration official told Rolling Stone. "I did not get the sense he was joking at all."

Trump began asking about the would-be weapon during the first year of his presidency and continued to occasionally inquire about it until at least 2018. Trump asked about the potential weapon often enough that aides labeled it the "Hurricane Gun" thing.

"I was present [once] when he asked if China 'made' hurricanes to send to us," a former administration official told the outlet. Trump "wanted to know if the technology existed. One guy in the room responded, 'Not to the best of my knowledge, sir.' I kept it together until I got back to my office… I do not know where the [then-]president would have heard about that… He was asking about it around the time, maybe a little before, he asked people about nuking hurricanes."

Trump suggested multiple times to national security officials that they explore using nuclear bombs to prevent hurricanes from hitting the U.S., as Axios reported in 2019.

"I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" Trump reportedly said at one White House briefing. "They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they're moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can't we do that?"

A source that was at the meeting told Axios that the briefer was "knocked back on his heels" by the question but humored Trump anyway, vowing to "look into that."

"You could hear a gnat fart in that meeting," the unnamed source said. "People were astonished. After the meeting ended, we thought, 'What the f---? What do we do with this?'"

Miles Taylor, the former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security who also became a prominent Trump critic, recalled another "bizarre" hurricane meeting with Trump where the Republican seemed "far less concerned with saving American lives and more concerned with his burning question: 'Do they always spin counterclockwise?'"

"We had to tell him, yes, hurricanes always spin that way … in our hemisphere … which of course led to discussion about why toilet water spins the other way in the southern hemisphere. Lives were in danger. But he needed an elementary school lesson," Taylor wrote on Twitter.

Taylor recalled aides briefing Trump on hurricane preparedness while the president was more focused on the optics of a potential visit to the wreckage before the storm even hit. He insisted on taking a helicopter to survey the damage and then launched into a rant about how easily helicopters break down when aides explained that it was too far to fly a helicopter from D.C. to the Carolinas.

"In a moment of national consequence — of life or death for many Americans — the president of the United States wasn't just unhelpful. He was a complete idiot," Taylor tweeted. "And we should really try to avoid putting ourselves in that situation again."

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a resounding endorsement. 

What a perfect distillation of the modern Republican psyche:

Tosses support to an absolutely awful, ostensibly openly racist candidate... because they are viewed as more likely to win.

Power above all, certainly more important than principle, avoiding corruption or any sense of decency.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

What a perfect distillation of the modern Republican psyche:

Tosses support to an absolutely awful, ostensibly openly racist candidate... because they are viewed as more likely to win.

Power above all, certainly more important than principle, avoiding corruption or any sense of decency.

The most important thing is the Senate majority. Not the decline of America.

• Plus1 1
On 5/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, TGHusker said:

If you wonder why the GOP has had a dumbing down, only look at who they still support for president.  Example below.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-asked-whether-china-had-attacked-u-s-with-a-hurricane-gun-report/ar-AAX9EXK?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=39a58bd1250747c3a17bb43af416d780

I want you to know that he'll win again if he decides to run.

That's how these Republican voters are. They love this guy. I mean, most of them voted for the guy after he suggested injecting bleach on national TV.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I want you to know that

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a resounding endorsement. 

he'll win again if he decides to run.

That's how these Republican voters are. They love this guy. I mean, most of them voted for the guy after he suggested injecting bleach on national TV.

Pretty much a bizarro culture in the GOP now

i didn’t know Culter was still “a thing “ in GOP circles. She is coming from the perspective that trump wasn’t radical enough   What a terrible party the GOP has become and yet you have many good people in the party. They need to wrestle back control of the party from the vocal radicals OR start a better party