What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Somewhat agree.  This is what the Republican party HAS been.

However, that's not who they are now.  They are the party to support Trump....and only Trump.  Anyone who dares criticize Trump IS thrown under the bus and demonized to the point of being voted out of office.

Verifiably not true

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So, what is it?

Politicians who criticize or accuse Trump of something, are attacked by Trump and Republican leadership.  Now, if they change their tune, and start praising him again, then that attack goes away.  If it continues, then there is an attempt to get them voted out of office.  You're saying that isn't successful all the time......Yes, I know that.  That's the voters.  That doesn't mean the pressure isn't there to support Trump. And, not all candidates that weren't supported by Trump were critical of Trump and outspoken about it.  Nebraska governor's race is a prime example.  One just kissed Trump's a$$ more so that's who got the support from him.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Politicians who criticize or accuse Trump of something, are attacked by Trump and Republican leadership.  Now, if they change their tune, and start praising him again, then that attack goes away.  If it continues, then there is an attempt to get them voted out of office.  You're saying that isn't successful all the time......Yes, I know that.  That's the voters.  That doesn't mean the pressure isn't there to support Trump. And, not all candidates that weren't supported by Trump were critical of Trump and outspoken about it.  Nebraska governor's race is a prime example.  One just kissed Trump's a$$ more so that's who got the support from him.

Brian Kemp?  Nancy Mace? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
54 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or Brad Raffensperger who you just posted about.   The guy Trump hates but who won his primary??

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Or Brad Raffensperger who you just posted about.   The guy Trump hates but who won his primary??

Please list the Republican senators and representatives that spoke out against Trump for inciting an insurrection and attempting to overturn our democracy who still show loyalty to the republic over their own political futures and who have not ran  back to Trump's ample teats. 

That shouldn't take long.  When you're done with that let us know how those that showed a modicum of fealty to our democracy have done in their attempts for reelection.  The evidence of his treasonous attempts are overwhelming and yet the Republicans still support him.  Why would that be?   And nobody is going to buy "because the evidence is a hoax".

The GOP has had numerous opportunities to dump his a$$ on the waste heap of history but they just can't.  Power is more seductive to them than the preservation of our democracy.  

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don't want to put words in BRB's mouth, but I think what he is trying to illustrate is that Trump is still an incredibly influential element in the Republican party. More specifically, I think it's clear that Trump still holds a fairly ironclad grip on his base. His base does not make up 100% of the Republican party, but it does make up a significant enough portion that conservative political strategists are having to take it into account. Many Republicans have acknowledged that Trump's endorsement in political races remains influential, although it obviously does not guarantee victory.

There are also unquestionably some factions and representatives of the party that are doing exactly what BRB is saying. If you try to dunk on Trump, they try to dunk on you. It would be unfair to cast that as a problem among ALL Republicans, but we know it is happening.

Frankly, I'm still surprised (and disappointed) he remains such a fixture in the party.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I won't hold my breath that the GOP will wash it's hands of the Trumpists traitors in their midsts.  We can't even get that sentiment here.  

"The foreboding expressed by Luttig and others is shared by experts who study democratic breakdown," wrote Post columnist Greg Sargent. "When Luttig says we’re at a 'perilous crossroads,' and says only Republicans can 'bring an end' to the threat, he’s not alone."

Steven Levitsky and Lucan Way, professors of government and politics, recently warned the U.S. was heading into an "age of instability," which they said was not a civil war but more of a smoldering conflict like "the Troubles" in Ireland.

"Such a scenario would be marked by frequent constitutional crises, including contested or stolen elections,” they wrote. "This portends 'heightened political violence, they suggested, including assassinations, bombings and violent confrontations in the streets, 'often tolerated and even incited by politicians."

The professors and Luttig all agreed that Republicans must take decisive action against Trump and his allies who conspired to illegally overturn his election loss, and they the GOP must purge themselves of "authoritarian forces" to save democracy.

“It would make all the difference in the world,” Levitsky said, adding that Republicans must send a message to their own. “This is beyond the pale. We don’t do this in America.”

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't want to put words in BRB's mouth, but I think what he is trying to illustrate is that Trump is still an incredibly influential element in the Republican party. More specifically, I think it's clear that Trump still holds a fairly ironclad grip on his base. His base does not make up 100% of the Republican party, but it does make up a significant enough portion that conservative political strategists are having to take it into account. Many Republicans have acknowledged that Trump's endorsement in political races remains influential, although it obviously does not guarantee victory.

There are also unquestionably some factions and representatives of the party that are doing exactly what BRB is saying. If you try to dunk on Trump, they try to dunk on you. It would be unfair to cast that as a problem among ALL Republicans, but we know it is happening.

Frankly, I'm still surprised (and disappointed) he remains such a fixture in the party.

I don’t think he is saying that…..first he just said Republicans.  When I showed that is false he then tried to explain that Trump AND LEADERSHIP is trying to get R incumbents voted out of office.     That is very different than what you are saying.  I don’t think McCarthy has spoken for one person or another in or about Liz’s race even.  

Trumps endorsement success has been a mixed bag 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t think he is saying that…..first he just said Republicans.

People refer to each party or a political viewpoint generically here all the time, yourself included. "Libs" this. "Conservatives" that. I think if you gave BRB an opportunity to clarify instead of just banally saying what amounts to 'WRONG' then your conversation might prove more fruitful.

When I showed that is false he then tried to explain that Trump AND LEADERSHIP is trying to get R incumbents voted out of office.

You'll also notice he clarified his statement with the following "You're saying that isn't successful all the time......Yes, I know that."

But, hey, don't let that get in the way of a good pissing match.

Trumps endorsement success has been a mixed bag

I agree, but what I said still holds true. A Trump endorsement can be influential and there are significant portions of the Republican party still beholden to him. Why they are at this point is still troubling.

• Plus1 3