What is the future of the Republican Party?

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wish we were a developed enough society that politicians could say....."Hey, the incumbent has done a great job at XY and Z.  But, it's a real problem that he/she has been struggling in the areas of AB and C.  I know I can do better at AB and C while maintaining XY and Z."

But, that would be too civil.

Now that would be novel campaigning.   I wish that would be the case as well.  So sick of these negative angry ads on TV

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

As Biden is now all about undoing everything trump did.  In that case, some of that is good.  So both parties do the one upmanship - otherwise what would there be to campaign for  - "I think the other party did just fine but I think I can be finer."

Yeah. Kinda. 

There is a difference between "we propose a program of broader affordable healthcare" and "oh no you don't." 

There's also a difference between "we propose building a 2,000 mile border wall with Mexico" and "oh no you don't." 

So it's a bit of a false equivalency. I'm actually having a hard time thinking of an original policy initiative the Trump administration advanced. Other than the wall. 

What you describe as one-upmanship is what used to be called negotiation. Everyone agreed something had to be done about crime, immigration, or infrastructure, both sides would draft their own fairly specific proposal, compromises would be hammered out, and both sides would declare victory. 

The understanding now is that nothing good can happen in America when the other party is in office. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah. Kinda. 

There is a difference between "we propose a program of broader affordable healthcare" and "oh no you don't." 

There's also a difference between "we propose building a 2,000 mile border wall with Mexico" and "oh no you don't." 

So it's a bit of a false equivalency. I'm actually having a hard time thinking of an original policy initiative the Trump administration advanced. Other than the wall. 

What you describe as one-upmanship is what used to be called negotiation. Everyone agreed something had to be done about crime, immigration, or infrastructure, both sides would draft their own fairly specific proposal, compromises would be hammered out, and both sides would declare victory. 

The understanding now is that nothing good can happen in America when the other party is in office. 

I didn’t say they were equivalent.  I did say some (perhaps most/all) was good. I didn’t want to get into specifics 

KETTLE/BLACK     McConnell must have been sleeping through the Trump years. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mcconnell-slams-biden-for-acting-below-the-dignity-of-the-president/ss-AAZ3aof?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=30316d87b47046b9baa968a18fa524b0

McConnell slams Biden for acting below the 'dignity' of the President

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell accused President Joe Biden of acting 'below the dignity' of his office on Thursday after the commander-in-chief excoriated the Supreme Court 's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. The Kentucky lawmaker said Biden was simply 'blame shifting' to turn Americans' attention away from soaring inflation and rising crime.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

He just can't let go.  I am not surprised. (eww)

Man, how difficult was it  for Cheney to have to be standing up there with that group. She is a giant in the presence of mice.   The sane vs the insane.  The knowledgeable vs the brainless. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

He just can't let go.  I am not surprised. (eww)

She has to be thinking what the hell has happened that i'm standing here with this group of brainwashed idiots.

And.....she's going to lose to one of these by a long ways.

One person on that stage is centered in reality.  The rest are some where in an alternate universe.

• Thanks 3
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

She has to be thinking what the hell has happened that i'm standing here with this group of brainwashed idiots.

And.....she's going to lose to one of these by a long ways.

One person on that stage is centered in reality.  The rest are some where in an alternate universe.

And the GOP leadership is endorsing the trump candidate not in reality.  Does you all you need to know about the GOP. 

• Plus1 1