What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Religion just needs to go away.  It's had a good run...(or maybe not)

I guess you''d want all of the hospitals, schools, universities, counseling centers, pantry/food/clothing centers, social programs, compassion, aid & crisis organizations around the world to disappear as well. :dunno Plus we can discard good moral education and cultural benefits of faith as well which includes its positive influence on laws that govern our land.  You do know there are wackos:blink: from all parts of society - faith (all religions) as well as non-faith/atheists/agonistics .  Don't let the few destroy the view of the overall good.  And don't let the Americanize, Evangelical church be the picture of the church worldwide.  Many in that segment of the church have lost their way - but one day they will be restored back to truth or they will leave the church with their faith shipwrecked because they didn't trust in the true savior but a political Cult leader. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I guess you''d want all of the hospitals, schools, universities, counseling centers, pantry/food/clothing centers, social programs, compassion, aid & crisis organizations around the world to disappear as well. :dunno Plus we can discard good moral education and cultural benefits of faith as well which includes its positive influence on laws that govern our land.  You do know there are wackos:blink: from all parts of society - faith (all religions) as well as non-faith/atheists/agonistics .  Don't let the few destroy the view of the overall good.  And don't let the Americanize, Evangelical church be the picture of the church worldwide.  Many in that segment of the church have lost their way - but one day they will be restored back to truth or they will leave the church with their faith shipwrecked because they didn't trust in the true savior but a political Cult leader. 

If the only reason people do good things is because of religion, the human race is even worse than I give it credit for...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

Seems to me that as religion has become more prevalent and public in the US, the nations' morals and ethics have gone to pot.  The blind allegiance to things talked about from the pulpit that are totally unrelated to the bible or whatever is just taking advantage of people who go looking for support and community.

I admire your attitude and beliefs TG.  But there are plenty of non affiliated groups that do good in the world, so while I am sure there might be some outages, when I look at those really consistently doing the "lords work" no matter the situation (war, floods, fire etc), there isn't neccesarily a tie in to a religion of any kind.  World Central Kitchen is top of mind as I see them working in Florida this week and also in Ukraine and any where else there is a crisis.  

You are completely right though that there are crazies all over the world.  I just wish the right wing christian ones hadn't all found themselves motivated and organized by Trump and his ilk who are clearly taking advantage of their need to be led.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Seems to me that as religion has become more prevalent and public in the US, the nations' morals and ethics have gone to pot.  The blind allegiance to things talked about from the pulpit that are totally unrelated to the bible or whatever is just taking advantage of people who go looking for support and community.

I admire your attitude and beliefs TG.  But there are plenty of non affiliated groups that do good in the world, so while I am sure there might be some outages, when I look at those really consistently doing the "lords work" no matter the situation (war, floods, fire etc), there isn't neccesarily a tie in to a religion of any kind.  World Central Kitchen is top of mind as I see them working in Florida this week and also in Ukraine and any where else there is a crisis.  

You are completely right though that there are crazies all over the world.  I just wish the right wing christian ones hadn't all found themselves motivated and organized by Trump and his ilk who are clearly taking advantage of their need to be led.

Again as I noted to Funhusker above, I don't limit 'doing good' or being moral, etc to Christian organizations - I'm just saying when one discounts 'religion' because of some outliers here in America, you also discount the good that most of 'religion' does. (Speaking of organized religion and not 'spirituality' at this point)

Regarding the bold :  I agree - and I know you have heard me state this over and over again - What we see in the religion of Trump does not represent true Christianity - the specific teachings of Jesus and the Apostles as recorded in the NT.  While the religion of Trump operates as 'wolves in sheep clothing' within too many gullible churches, it is not Christianity.  I don't care who is spouting it from whatever pulpit.  The American church is best heard in silence - just doing the work that I mentioned before - helping the needy and giving comfort and instructions to those who need it.  The trump church is loud and demanding - it is the voice of deceivers and another false gospel.  Unfortunately there are some good sincere people caught up in it as well.  But as I said previously, the truth will find them again and they will be restored.  Those who won't be restored will face the truth & will be shipwrecked and fall away when the cult finally implodes on itself (perhaps wt trump going to jail - or after the resulting riots have exposed them for what they are - wolves and deceivers).

• TBH 1
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm just saying when one discounts 'religion' because of some outliers here in America...

The majority of your religious brethren tend to support Trumpism. Their religious devotion indeed hurts America. TG, you are a good man, but I'm afraid that you are the outlier in today's age.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/30/most-white-americans-who-regularly-attend-worship-services-voted-for-trump-in-2020/

image.thumb.png.b659f56f9a1ef48c4b7819b896fd0afb.png

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The majority of your religious brethren tend to support Trumpism. Their religious devotion indeed hurts America. TG, you are a good man, but I'm afraid that you are the outlier in today's age.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/30/most-white-americans-who-regularly-attend-worship-services-voted-for-trump-in-2020/

image.thumb.png.b659f56f9a1ef48c4b7819b896fd0afb.png

I think all because of one issue - the abortion issue.   I still think that if the Dems were more open to the pro-life voice - a bunch of those numbers above would switch over to the Dems who are more pro-life after birth than what the GOP ever thought to be.    The vote is pretty close (almost 50/50) in regards to the non-evangelical protestant voters. 

But, yes it saddens me to see those numbers nevertheless.  

TG I agree it's likely abortion ... but I think it starts there and then somehow there is the inability to see that it's only one issue, and that they might align completely with every other dem area of focus.  I know our "tent" is big and there are pro life dems -

I'm curious why they get hung up on semantics of PRO LIFE vs PRO ABORTION.  I'm a non practicing catholic.  Never had an abortion, don't know that I ever would have, but I don't think it's my place to tell others what their discussions with their sig others and doctors should be.  Why is it that those folks are so black and white with wanting a universal ban rather than just minding their own business and letting women make their own decisions if it doesn't impact them?  It just seems so black and white and when it's one issue of many you'd think it wouldn't be such a heavy influencer in a vote.

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

TG I agree it's likely abortion ... but I think it starts there and then somehow there is the inability to see that it's only one issue, and that they might align completely with every other dem area of focus.  I know our "tent" is big and there are pro life dems -

I'm curious why they get hung up on semantics of PRO LIFE vs PRO ABORTION.  I'm a non practicing catholic.  Never had an abortion, don't know that I ever would have, but I don't think it's my place to tell others what their discussions with their sig others and doctors should be.  Why is it that those folks are so black and white with wanting a universal ban rather than just minding their own business and letting women make their own decisions if it doesn't impact them?  It just seems so black and white and when it's one issue of many you'd think it wouldn't be such a heavy influencer in a vote.

Yes, I do think there are may pro-life Dems - some in my family.   I was also a one issue voter at one time.  No more.   I think the issue could be summed up in the word 'grace' - grace given or not given.  Too many are believing like old testament believers - where the LAW ruled- Thou shalt not!  I'm opposed to these one size fits all draconian laws that some of the red states are passing. There is no grace in them.  There is no allowance for individual situations that are very, very personal to the individual.  I do believe there should be reasonable limits on abortion.   I don't believe that we turn into Iran in placing those limits.   

• Plus1 1