What is the future of the Republican Party?

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Jerry Moran but he ain’t running for President. 

I'm not talking about Presidential contenders. Just about the people currently leading the party. 

I respect that Jerry is from your state, but I had zero name recognition and had to Google him. Sounds like an interesting cat: unpredictable in a healthy way. Not my cup of tea on several issues, but head and shoulders above the camera hogs and conspiracy shriekers in the party. 

Can't say he has much of a national profile, though, so it's hard to see his brand of semi-moderation taking hold. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So setting MTG aside, who in the current Republican leadership has the track record of integrity, consistency, and an issues-oriented approach to solving America's problems? 

Charlie Baker (outgoing gov so not sure that it qualifies in your discussion) ... sadly he has said he wants to step away from politics for awhile, but id hope to see him run for higher office or take on more leadership within the party.   There are a few others at state level that I think are rational people, middle of the road folks that get things done by partnering with all to do what's right by their people.  

59 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not talking about Presidential contenders. Just about the people currently leading the party. 

I respect that Jerry is from your state, but I had zero name recognition and had to Google him. Sounds like an interesting cat: unpredictable in a healthy way. Not my cup of tea on several issues, but head and shoulders above the camera hogs and conspiracy shriekers in the party. 

Can't say he has much of a national profile, though, so it's hard to see his brand of semi-moderation taking hold. 

My guess is you are looking for a Chris Sununu type 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So setting MTG aside, who in the current Republican leadership has the track record of integrity, consistency, and an issues-oriented approach to solving America's problems? 

I don’t know if this thread exists for the Left side, so feel free to reply there, but who answers this question for the Democrats? 

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

My guess is you are looking for a Chris Sununu type 

I'm not really looking, personally, but I'm informally polling people who vote Republican and seeing if they're cool with current party leadership, and if not the kind of elected (or electable) Republican they could get behind.

Fair question about current Democratic leadership. I tend to find them more uninspiring than dangerously unhinged, but would love a new slate moving forward. Hakeem Jeffries taking over from Nancy Pelosi is a good start.  I admire Katie Porter's balls. Pete Buttegieg is maybe the best extemporaneous speaker I've seen in politics and has a knack for quickly boiling things down to the human level. And I'm keenly aware that there are others like Jerry Moran for the GOP who might be the perfect next step for the Dems, but don't command the face time or the hype. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's an idea.  Why don't you concentrate on policies that a majority of Americans can support?

I guess people in population centers aren't citizens:dunno   Just because the 'red' voters are spread out over a bigger land mass than the 'blue' voters, it doesn't make the blue voter less of a citizen.  Maybe what this guy really wants is a modern version of the Three -fifths compromise in the Constitution whereby an African American was considered 3/5th of a person.  Thus, voters who live in population centers would be considered 3/5 of a voter- thus reducing the voting power of the centers.   And really, we all know this is often a vailed argument for racism. The population centers are typically heavy in minority voters. 

Looking at it logically, the population centers will naturally, by the size of their population, have a greater number of issues to address while also sharing common issues with the less populated areas. 

So the GOP will need to get rid of its old, scorched earth southern strategy which originated under Nixon.  It centered on fear (think Willie Horton, immigrants, Muslins, etc) and negativity and intelligently address the needs of the population centers.  But the GOP has shown a shortage of intelligence lately as shown by many of the nutjobs they nominate and elect.  So, I don't see them changing their strategy anytime soon.  

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I guess people in population centers aren't citizens:dunno   Just because the 'red' voters are spread out over a bigger land mass than the 'blue' voters, it doesn't make the blue voter less of a citizen.  Maybe what this guy really wants is a modern version of the Three -fifths compromise in the Constitution whereby an African American was considered 3/5th of a person.  Thus, voters who live in population centers would be considered 3/5 of a voter- thus reducing the voting power of the centers.   And really, we all know this is often a vailed argument for racism. The population centers are typically heavy in minority voters. 

Looking at it logically, the population centers will naturally by the size of their population will have a greater number of issues to address as well as sharing common interest that the less populated areas have. 

So the GOP will need to get rid of its old, scorched earth southern strategy which originated under Nixon.  It centered on fear (think Willie Horton, immigrants, Muslins, etc) and negativity. 

Well TG....you should be happy that since you live in a city, you're more than half a person.

Sometimes we just have to accept our place in life to be happy.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not really looking, personally, but I'm informally polling people who vote Republican and seeing if they're cool with current party leadership, and if not the kind of elected (or electable) Republican they could get behind.

Fair question about current Democratic leadership. I tend to find them more uninspiring than dangerously unhinged, but would love a new slate moving forward. Hakeem Jeffries taking over from Nancy Pelosi is a good start.  I admire Katie Porter's balls. Pete Buttegieg is maybe the best extemporaneous speaker I've seen in politics and has a knack for quickly boiling things down to the human level. And I'm keenly aware that there are others like Jerry Moran for the GOP who might be the perfect next step for the Dems, but don't command the face time or the hype. 

Maybe Gov Hogan from Maryland.  He had broad support from Dems and GOPers when he was governor.   I suspect he will run in 2024 for president. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well TG....you should be happy that since you live in a city, you're more than half a person.

Sometimes we just have to accept our place in life to be happy.

One thing about Oklahoma - literally every county is red - including Tulsa and Oklahoma (OKC) countries.  I've seen too many trump-bots get elected unfortunately.  

• TBH 1