What is the future of the Republican Party?

33 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

giphy.gif

Yep, let me know when the GOP starts building concentration camps. :lol:

26 minutes ago, Ulty said:

That will make it easier to ignore when Repubs start banning books and classes about the topic next. 

Yep, let me know when the GOP starts building concentration camps :lol:

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yep, let me know when the GOP starts building concentration camps. :lol:

Yep, let me know when the GOP starts building concentration camps :lol:

if you wait til then...it is too late.   FWIW, if they do get to that point the first 1 will probably be Gitmo.  i sure have seen a lot of far right idiots talking about sending political prisoners there.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

The level of American exceptionalism that's required to believe an authoritarian takeover could never happen here, even though we all saw one attempt on Jan 6th, is blatantly ignorant of world history and how authoritarian takeovers start.  There first needs to be an effort which then needs to be mainstreamed into a formerly legit political party.  That's already happened. 

CPAC holding meetings in Hungary in 2022 and again in 2023 and hosting authoritarian dictator Orban in Dallas was nothing to see.  :facepalm:

Of course famous last words, "It could never happen here".  

• Plus1 7
21 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I know you already know this...but the comparisons to Nazis is not about concentration camps. Not yet anyway. Those camps were a horrific byproduct from a fascist government that was not stopped. The comparison between the Nazis and GOP starts with the outright fascist tendencies that they share. Characteristics that you apparently value. 

I know you are just trying to play along with narrative and know the comparison is utter bulls#!t.  Unless you don’t understand the basics of fascism which is quite possible.  

24 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Demonizing minorities and immigrants

So much so that GOP is increasing minority share of the vote :thumbs  But ya, fascism or something or other.  

25 minutes ago, Ulty said:

hypernationalism

So now we are just making things up I guess.  

25 minutes ago, Ulty said:

fear mongering

Are you referencing throwing granny off the cliff ads, or claiming GOP will get rid of safety nets, or fear mongering about “nazi Germany”

28 minutes ago, Ulty said:

suppressing and banning critical viewpoints,

You might wanna look into which party most media and social media heads donate to and what they allow and don’t allow.   Or you probably don’t I guess because it won’t fit your narrative about “nazi Germany” 

30 minutes ago, Ulty said:

disregarding democratic values and human values

Would you be talking about changing voting rules over what current law dictates without a change in that law?  I agree.  

Human values….like protecting children in womb?   Or is that a value that goes against the “nazi Germany” narrative.  

LOL:lol:    Really liked the movie, though,  what if someone is a duck stepping moron and not a goose stepping moron?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I know you are just trying to play along with narrative and know the comparison is utter bulls#!t.  Unless you don’t understand the basics of fascism which is quite possible.  

So much so that GOP is increasing minority share of the vote :thumbs  But ya, fascism or something or other.  

So now we are just making things up I guess.  

Are you referencing throwing granny off the cliff ads, or claiming GOP will get rid of safety nets, or fear mongering about “nazi Germany”

You might wanna look into which party most media and social media heads donate to and what they allow and don’t allow.   Or you probably don’t I guess because it won’t fit your narrative about “nazi Germany” 

Would you be talking about changing voting rules over what current law dictates without a change in that law?  I agree.  

Human values….like protecting children in womb?   Or is that a value that goes against the “nazi Germany” narrative.  

LOL:lol:    Really liked the movie, though,  what if someone is a duck stepping moron and not a goose stepping moron?  

Or......you could read the article by the award-winning historian who knows vastly more about the subject than you do, and goes out of his way to explain the parallels that apply and those that don't. 

Remember, we're talking about the formative years, when the word Nazi wasn't fully charged. They were just patriots and nationalists who considered even the Center Right too weak-kneed to pursue their manifest destiny. 

• Plus1 6
  • TBH 1

For the logically challenged and uninformed...

Here's a good long read on what Fascism is and what it looks like.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/fascism/Conservative-economic-programs

If you can't find many similarities to the current Republican party you just aren't trying.

(Note: I don't believe concentration camps are mentioned. If that is all you need to see to believe, then, by all means, continue being myopic.)

Here's a much shorter read on how Hitler came to power.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/how-did-adolf-hitler-happen

Once again, if you don't see many significant similarities to Trump and the current GOP, you might be completely hopeless.

Here's a definition of what an analogy is.

analogy

noun

anal·o·gy ə-ˈna-lə-jē 

plural analogies

a

: a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

b

: resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : SIMILARITY

: inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others

Please note- an analogy does not imply things have to be exactly the same. i.e. If Nazi Germany or fascism is being compared to the GOP, singular things or events, like concentration camps for example, are not a requirement for thinking people to be able to digest the analogy and see the other obvious similarities.

I hope this information allows at least one of us to become smarter and more informed.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

For the logically challenged and uninformed...

Here's a good long read on what Fascism is and what it looks like.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/fascism/Conservative-economic-programs

If you can't find many similarities to the current Republican party you just aren't trying.

(Note: I don't believe concentration camps are mentioned. If that is all you need to see to believe, then, by all means, continue being myopic.)

Here's a much shorter read on how Hitler came to power.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/how-did-adolf-hitler-happen

Once again, if you don't see many significant similarities to Trump and the current GOP, you might be completely hopeless.

Here's a definition of what an analogy is.

analogy

noun

anal·o·gy ə-ˈna-lə-jē 

plural analogies

a

: a comparison of two otherwise unlike things based on resemblance of a particular aspect

b

: resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : SIMILARITY

: inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others

Please note- an analogy does not imply things have to be exactly the same. i.e. If Nazi Germany or fascism is being compared to the GOP, singular things or events, like concentration camps for example, are not a requirement for thinking people to be able to digest the analogy and see the other obvious similarities.

I hope this information allows at least one of us to become smarter and more informed.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/fascism-is-anything-democrats-dont-like

There’s no question both sides of the political aisle are drawn to hyperbole and exaggerations, but this is ridiculous. Though fascism itself is a term that has been debated ever since Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler rose to power, it is easy to say what fascism is not: It is not an ideology that advocates robust free speech and religious rights for all people, which conservatism does. It is not a political party that supports giving voters the power to decide abortion restrictions in their states, which the GOP does. It is not a movement that opposes draconian uses of federal power, such as sweeping COVID-19 vaccine mandates and costly student loan debt forgiveness, which conservatism does. And it is definitely not a political party that protests the weaponization of key institutions like Big Tech and the FBI against political dissidents, which the Republican Party does.

(emphasis mine).  

“As George Orwell put it, “the word fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies ‘something not desirable.’” For Democrats, fascism simply means anything they don’t like, and anything that might possibly threaten their control over the governing establishment. Fascism is Donald Trump. Fascism is Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Fascism is the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Fascism is religious people running their businesses according to their beliefs. And now fascism is the Republican Party and everyone who votes for it.”

Yep, as seen here on this very board.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/fascism-is-anything-democrats-dont-like

There’s no question both sides of the political aisle are drawn to hyperbole and exaggerations, but this is ridiculous. Though fascism itself is a term that has been debated ever since Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler rose to power, it is easy to say what fascism is not: It is not an ideology that advocates robust free speech and religious rights for all people, which conservatism does. It is not a political party that supports giving voters the power to decide abortion restrictions in their states, which the GOP does. It is not a movement that opposes draconian uses of federal power, such as sweeping COVID-19 vaccine mandates and costly student loan debt forgiveness, which conservatism does. And it is definitely not a political party that protests the weaponization of key institutions like Big Tech and the FBI against political dissidents, which the Republican Party does.

(emphasis mine).  

“As George Orwell put it, “the word fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies ‘something not desirable.’” For Democrats, fascism simply means anything they don’t like, and anything that might possibly threaten their control over the governing establishment. Fascism is Donald Trump. Fascism is Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Fascism is the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Fascism is religious people running their businesses according to their beliefs. And now fascism is the Republican Party and everyone who votes for it.”

Yep, as seen here on this very board.

LOL. I post encyclopedia and dictionary links. You come back with a biased opinion piece by the Washington Examiner.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 6