What is the future of the Republican Party?

22 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I support Republicans continuing to push many of the the policies Trump admin ram and governed on.  I don’t support any cult of personality, I don’t support Trump constantly talking about 2020, if that’s all he wants to talk about then he is useless going forward.   If he wants to talk about furthering the platform/agenda then fine.  It would be best if he just did the Bush things and quietly just loved his life.   

So, nothing he has done convinces you that, no matter what, the Republican party needs to distance themselves as far away from Trump as possible.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But the whole discussion we've been having, and the whole point of this thread, is that the GOP finds itself caught in a loyalty oath to Trump. 

When the job demanded advancing an actual platform, Trump generally followed the GOP playbook. But as a candidate, President, and now ex-President, the agenda was almost always about Donald Trump himself, and he spent an inordinate amount of time talking about his enemies. In one of the few speeches he made recently, he railed at a hand-picked group of guests at Mar-a-Lago about the Republicans who didn't back him loudly enough, and how they need to be replaced. The understanding is that future candidates and primary strategies will be running through Mar-a-Lago. 

You keep discussing Marjorie Taylor Greene, Laurene Bobert and Matt Gaetz as minor figures that shouldn't concern us, but like current and aspiring Republicans they have secured their political fortunes by aligning as Trump loyalists, despite their glaring ineptitude. Matt Gaetz should have been ousted from the party, and quite possibly in jail, but instead the ex-President hosts him at Mar-a-Lago events. You start to care about Republican leadership positions when the Republicans dump their #3 leader and openly declare that loyalty to Trump is the issue. That tends to influence your down party tickets in every state. 

In case you're really not following this, Trump is going to talk constantly about 2020, he has no further platform or agenda, and it is a cult of personality. It's really not a stretch to say the camps have split around a single issue: was Donald Trump cheated out of the election? Even Republicans who don't believe that are afraid to say so in public. That's pretty creepy.  

What you just stated above is exactly what Liz Cheney was saying. But you also chose to talk s#!t about Liz Cheney, as if she's yet another of your non-factors. By your own definition, Donald Trump is useless going forward. 

Pick a lane.

Another hard pass on you telling me what to do.  Keeps happening, must be a CA thing :dunno

Liz has the same problem Trump has in that neither can get past 2020.  It’s why she is no longer in leadership position.  It’s also why she is now just another congressperson for the next year and a half.  

Yes, Trump is useless to me going forward unless he wants to advocate for an agenda that his admin helped put into place.  

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Another hard pass on you telling me what to do.  Keeps happening, must be a CA thing :dunno

Liz has the same problem Trump has in that neither can get past 2020.  It’s why she is no longer in leadership position.  It’s also why she is now just another congressperson for the next year and a half.  

Yes, Trump is useless to me going forward unless he wants to advocate for an agenda that his admin helped put into place.  

WTF?????

You are saying SHE can't get past 2020?  She is talking about it because the entire friggen Republican party cant get over it because their Dear Leader can't get over it.  She is the one telling THEM to get over it.

What a completely weird wacky twisted set of facts you live in.

• Plus1 4
43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If you're saying that you have no use for Republicans who can't get past 2020, then you have no use for Republicans.

Thank you for picking a lane. Together we can fight this GOP monstrosity. 

• Plus1 4
18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you're saying that you have no use for Republicans who can't get past 2020, then you have no use for Republicans.

Thank you for picking a lane. Together we can fight this GOP monstrosity. 

If that’s what you took away from it, by all means run with it.  It’s your world 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

There are not enough "WTF"s in the world to respond to this quote.  :facepalm:

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

liz is out BECAUSE of 2020.   she voted to impeach trump and that is the reason she is out.   the GOP is the party that can't get over it.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If that’s what you took away from it, by all means run with it.  It’s your world 

You can put this to bed by naming the Republicans who you think are advancing an issues based platform, urging the party to get beyond its 2020 election fixation, and not afraid to call Donald Trump useless to the party.  Some might suggest Liz Cheney fits everything you describe, but for some reason you consider her totally dismissible. 

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can put this to bed by naming the Republicans who you think are advancing an issues based platform, urging the party to get beyond its 2020 election fixation, and not afraid to call Donald Trump useless to the party.  Some might suggest Liz Cheney fits everything you describe, but for some reason you consider her totally dismissible. 

I’ve said multiple times who my front runner for President is.  

it’s not incumbent on someone saying Trump is useless to the party.  Just let him gradually fade away.  

Liz can’t win and only seems to want to be on cable news trashing the party.  She is dismissible. But she’s getting what she actually wants now and that’s unlimited media time.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

it’s not incumbent on someone saying Trump is useless to the party.  Just let him gradually fade away.  

Liz can’t win and only seems to want to be on cable news trashing the party.  She is dismissible. But she’s getting what she actually wants now and that’s unlimited media time.  

She is literally saying out loud what you claim to be thinking. 

It's also what makes her poison to her own party, and unlikely to find a path to power. Along with all that media time, she's also getting death threats.

So maybe she's speaking her conscience. One can imagine she's speaking for a lot of people who are too chickens#!t to do it themselves. 

Are you suggesting she's dismissible simply because she couldn't win the Presidency herself? Since when is that the metric for speaking your mind? 

If you've got a second, remind me of your preferred choice for President. 

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Can you post quotes if her trashing the party?  Thanks in advance