What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

The GOP is engaging in a race to the bottom, in order to appeal to a crazy minority of voters.

The scary part is that it will absolutely work. They're going to win the House next year and win the Senate by 2024. Despite likely losing the popular vote in 2024 by 4% or more, they will have a greater them 50% chance of winning the Presidency. 

• Plus1 1

well, this seems inevitable and republicans are laughing all the way to congress. 

But, I keep wondering then how long will this last?  If they keep going down the MAGA road, how many more followers will they lose?  They currently are the minority politically. How long will it take till they lose so many that even gerrymandering won’t win them seats and they are screwed. 

Will it happen in my lifetime?

Sad what use to be my party has become. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

well, this seems inevitable and republicans are laughing all the way to congress. 

But, I keep wondering then how long will this last?  If they keep going down the MAGA road, how many more followers will they lose?  They currently are the minority politically. How long will it take till they lose so many that even gerrymandering won’t win them seats and they are screwed. 

i believe that it was arizona that proposed legislation that the state could overturn the public vote and send their own electors to the electoral college.    not sure if it passed or not.   

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It depends.

For the House of Representatives, it's a mix, but Democrats have a chance to win the House occasionally. During the last cycle, heavily gerrymandered districts in the suburbs flipped on Republicans. Democrats can battle back, but will likely only be competitive for 4 of the 10 years this decade. The same will probably be repeated in the 2030s and 2040s. The structural advantages at the state level are going to be next to impossible to overcome for decades. (In Wisconsin, Republicans control 5/8 seats despite losing the majority of votes, for example).

The electoral college will likely maintain a heavy Republican bias until the state of Texas turns blue, which is probably 5 or so election cycles away. Maybe the late 2030s or early 2040s.

The conservative bias of the Senate is likely to remain the same for decades, as small states will always have the same representation. Until a new political realignment occurs, or something like a viable 3rd party forms, the Senate will be perpetually dominated by Republicans. 

Long story short, things don't look good for the political future of this country. If you think things are toxic now, wait until a Presidential election in 2028 or 2032. By then, Democrats can win the popular vote  by 4.5% and lose the House, Senate, Presidency, and the legislatures of every major swing state. Buckle up.

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The conservative bias of the Senate is likely to remain the same for decades, as small states will always have the same representation. Until a new political realignment occurs, or something like a viable 3rd party forms, the Senate will be perpetually dominated by Republicans

Maybe this will occur sooner...if the Maga folks keep driving away people like me 

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Maybe this will occur sooner...if the Maga folks keep driving away people like me 

We'll see. It may hurt them for Presidential elections. Frankly, Republicans have such a huge advantage in the electoral college it's quite amazing that they lost in 2020,  albeit the difference was 40k votes. 

The best hope for the Democrats is that the recent extremes are due to Trump. If he is not running, will Republicans benefit from his turnout? 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are they going to do this for all vaccines?

The original tweeter said Hawley’s amendment was for a Covid vaccine but then the tweeter said many children would die if schools can’t mandate all vaccines, but the tweeter mentioned Hawley was only talking about Covid vaccine.   

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, commando said:

so in effect...the more people who get covid...the more $ rand makes from those stocks?  

Dude, yes.

Zoom

Moderna

All shipping stocks

All food delivery stocks

If you have not been making money the last 2 years you have been doing it wrong.

• Oh Yeah! 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, yes.

Zoom

Moderna

All shipping stocks

All food delivery stocks

If you have not been making money the last 2 years you have been doing it wrong.

i am wondering if that might be the reason he is so against any moves to slow down covid?

• Plus1 2