What is the future of the Republican Party?

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The “Trump takeover,” as Harris put it, goes beyond mere political symbolism.

In many counties, the local activists are the backbone of the party’s operation, working to recruit candidates, raise cash and knock on doors. They also often help set the agenda for what local and state officials should advocate — and what they should oppose.

It reflects a broader trend as Trump loyalists wage internal war on mainstream Republicans who long controlled the gears of power. Some were encouraged by former Trump adviser Steve Bannon’s call to “take this back village by village” by seizing control of the GOP machinery from the ground up.

Yes, I agree, the Georgia political scene is a complete mess.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

No deflection. Steve Scalise can answer or not answer, of his own accord. You can then draw your own inferences.

I think Steve Scalise is a moron for not answering. He could even say "of course Joe Biden is the President, he's the one in the White House."

No mention of stealing elections or fraudulent votes, so whatever he believes personally doesn't come into play.

What was even your point of these posts then?

On 10/11/2021 at 9:07 PM, DevoHusker said:

Well...he was shot, while playing baseball, by a Bernie Bro with a Republican hit list in his pocket, so...

16 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

If I was shot, while playing baseball, in the name of Progressive politics, I would tend to be skeptical too.

I don't see "the erosion of our Democracy" as clearly as you do I guess.

You've gone in a complete circle.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Near as I can recall, this guy wasn't shot by a Bernie Bro, so he doesn't have that excuse to fall back on...

"Yes, I would," Van Drew, who switched parties and became a Republican in 2019 to defend Trump during his first impeachment proceedings, said when asked if he would back the ex-President if he ran again in 2024.
The southern New Jersey congressman, whose district narrowly backed Trump last year, bluntly said that he does not think Trump is responsible for the events of January 6, contending that the former President didn't call for violence.
"I do not," Van Drew said. "I think that people are responsible for their own actions."
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What was even your point of these posts then?

You've gone in a complete circle.

A complete circle? I said he doesn't have to answer anything he doesn't want to answer. You act like he (or I) owe you something. Just like Scalise, I can answer whatever I want, however I want. 

I said I can understand Scalise to be wary due to his being shot by a progressive Dem conspirator. It would tend to taint his view of anything that might be remotely construed as underhanded on the part of Dems. I explained how I think Scalise could have/should have answered.  

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

A complete circle? I said he doesn't have to answer anything he doesn't want to answer. You act like he (or I) owe you something. Just like Scalise, I can answer whatever I want, however I want. 

You chose to post in this thread. You can answer any way you like, and we can judge your answers. It's how discussion works.

Scalise was on a TV show being interviewed, so this isn't him being ambushed at the grocery store or something. He refused to answer a basic question about whether the 2020 election was stolen, which as I said before has absolutely nothing to do with being shot. It has everything to do with trying to appease the base of his party and getting re-elected, which is a main component of discussion in this thread.

I said I can understand Scalise to be wary due to his being shot by a progressive Dem conspirator. It would tend to taint his view of anything that might be remotely construed as underhanded on the part of Dems.

A crazy person who supported a candidate that wasn't running in the 2020 Presidential election shot him, so he won't answer whether the election was stolen. That's some ridiculous pretzel logic.

I explained how I think Scalise could have/should have answered.  

Thanks.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If it's just an anti mandatory vaccine graphic, there wouldn't be any reason to cancel the fundraiser, right?

No, not at all. A decision like that has almost nothing to do with the actual facts behind it, and almost everything to do with the public perception behind it, irregardless of the facts.

5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Then I guess you are in the super hyperbolic, every single thing that doesn't agree with my world view is an assault on Democracy, category. 

I guess if factoring in the following into my view that our democracy was, and is, under assault by the leader of the GOP is hyperbolic, then yeah I'll wear that crown.

Despite not a shred of evidence that there was a significant level voter fraud in the 2020 election Trump:

Pressured the secretaries of state not to certify the results

Pressured legislatures to overturn the results

Tried to get the courts to overturn the results.  Then when that didn't happen he questioned the credibility of our judicial system.

Pressured Mike Pence not to certify the results

Incited a mob to storm the Capitol to stop the certification of the results

Never followed our tradition and conceded which would have short-circuited any bulls#!t like Jan 6th.  

Gaslit the public well in advance of the election about voter fraud in order to cry foul when he saw his polling numbers plummetting.  

Gaslit the credibility of the media over and over and over again

To this day he continues to spread the Big Lie.  Why is that?  What's the motivation when there hasn't been any evidence yet presented of said fraud and when the courts b!^@h slapped his a$$ to the tune of something like 70-0.

Let's see what else:

Republican state legislatures have enacted laws that make it easier to overturn future results.  Why is that?  

Trump had a blueprint (the Eastman memo) drawn up to overturn the election.  

The few conservatives who put their constitutional duties over power like Cheney and Kinzinger have crashed their political futures by calling out Trump's coup attempt.  Why would they do that?  They literally committed political hari-kari.  Why?  They're not politically naive.  

Why have Trump's sycophants refused to cooperate with the Jan 6th investigation?  Wouldn't they want the truth told if it was Antifas that carried out one of our country's darkest days?  No hyperbole intended.  

Why were General Milley and other top generals so concerned about Trump's intentions that they took the actions that they did?  Just suddenly gone rogue?  

The attempted coup continues today.  Do you really think that Trump has found the light and if elected (legitimately or not) he and the likes of Steve Bannon and  Stephen Miller will have a come to Jesus moment and start following the Constitution?  Really?   

All of the above is directly out of the playbook of other demigods throughout the past 200 years who have successfully toppled democracies.  Like I said you're either wilfully ignorant of that fact or just fine with an authoritarian regime displacing our democracy.

Ok, shoot.  Convince me I'm being overly concerned about the house of cards we're living in.  I hope I'm wrong.  You better hope like hell you're right.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I guess if factoring in the following into my view that our democracy was, and is, under assault by the leader of the GOP is hyperbolic, then yeah I'll wear that crown.

Despite not a shred of evidence that there was a significant level voter fraud in the 2020 election Trump:

Tried to get the courts to overturn the results.  Then when that didn't happen he questioned the credibility of our judicial system.

Never followed our tradition and conceded which would have short-circuited any bulls#!t like Jan 6th.  

Gaslit the public well in advance of the election about voter fraud in order to cry foul when he saw his polling numbers plummetting.  

To this day he continues to spread the Big Lie.  Why is that?  What's the motivation when there hasn't been any evidence yet presented of said fraud and when the courts b!^@h slapped his a$$ to the tune of something like 70-0.

Let's see what else:

Republican state legislatures have enacted laws that make it easier to overturn future results.  Why is that?  

The few conservatives who put their constitutional duties over power like Cheney and Kinzinger have crashed their political futures by calling out Trump's coup attempt.  Why would they do that?  They literally committed political hari-kari.  Why?  They're not politically naive.  

Why have Trump's sycophants refused to cooperate with the Jan 6th investigation?  Wouldn't they want the truth told if it was Antifas that carried out one of our country's darkest days?  No hyperbole intended.  

Why were General Milley and other top generals so concerned about Trump's intentions that they took the actions that they did?  Just suddenly gone rogue?  

The attempted coup continues today.  Do you really think that Trump has found the light and if elected (legitimately or not) he and the likes of Steve Bannon and  Stephen Miller will have a come to Jesus moment and start following the Constitution?  Really?   

All of the above is directly out of the playbook of other demigods throughout the past 200 years who have successfully toppled democracies.  Like I said you're either wilfully ignorant of that fact or just fine with an authoritarian regime displacing our democracy.

Ok, shoot.  Convince me I'm being overly concerned about the house of cards we're living in.  I hope I'm wrong.  You better hope like hell you're right.

This is the best post on Huskerboard.

Will the conservative people in this thread - who are going to vote for Trump - change their minds? Not at all. Those Democrats raising taxes on the rich and expanding social programs is just too damn scary! 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Let's see what else:

Even if all you've said were true, here is the kicker...it didn't work. Trump isn't the President. He didn't install some sort of shadow government. There was no military takeover. There was no pepee tape. We didn't become a Russian satellite State. 

Trump isn't running again. Even if he did, the Dems figured out how to beat him once, why are you scared they couldn't repeat it. Every thing you listed as a prophecy of doom was about/due to/because of Trump. 

Instead of twist each and every thing you don't like about Conservative politics back to Trump, perhaps realize that there is still a size able portion of the electorate that will disagree with progressive talking points, but would certainly never try to run Trump again.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is the best post on Huskerboard.

Will the conservative people in this thread - who are going to vote for Trump - change their minds? Not at all. Those Democrats raising taxes on the rich and expanding social programs is just too damn scary! 

Wait...? I thought

Trump got beat by 10 million votes...he isn't the President. Why in the world would you, or any other Liberal be worried about him 3 years from now...? TDS indeed.

• Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

Even if all you've said were true, here is the kicker...it didn't work. Trump isn't the President. He didn't install some sort of shadow government. There was no military takeover. There was no pepee tape. We didn't become a Russian satellite State. 

Trump isn't running again. Even if he did, the Dems figured out how to beat him once, why are you scared they couldn't repeat it. Every thing you listed as a prophecy of doom was about/due to/because of Trump. 

Instead of twist each and every thing you don't like about Conservative politics back to Trump, perhaps realize that there is still a size able portion of the electorate that will disagree with progressive talking points, but would certainly never try to run Trump again.

This is not true. 

Firstly, just because the leader of your party tried - and failed - to stage a coup in the greatest democracy in world history isn't comforting. You might shrug off things like this but this is alarming to the rest of us. The assault hasn't stopped - states are passing laws, conducting audits to appease the QAnon base of the party, etc.

Furthermore, the conservative structural advantages in elections make it higher than 50% that Trump wins in 2024, despite likely losing the popular vote by 3.5%.

• Plus1 3